I love Cougars

GbayGiant

Do you follow?

Yeah, as a matter of fact I do follow !!

Go back and read my post, all I said was I don't know how anyone could slaughter such a beautiful animal....how is that hard to understand ??

What's that got to do with eating muskies or anything else ??

Guess from now on if we want to express an opinon around here about something, we'd better post the question 1st and see if our opinions meet everybodies satisfaction......

Just a question but can u eat a cougar??

All the things Ive read regarding opening up the west of North America couger was a prized meat by the frontier folk. Granted that was a long time past and hunting couger for sustience is not plausible due to the low reproductive success of them or any other large carivore.

That aside thats about the biggest one Ive seen a picture of Im thinking getting around 175-200lbs??

I do not hunt , never shot an animal......but i do have a few gung ho hunter friends. I understand the whole population control thing. I Think. Sort of. Theres two issues i have with this instance in particular however.........the consumption of the animal is something i think is necassary after taking it from the wild.........and Im sorry, but i dont think a cat is very tasty sounding lol. Not to mention a cat that age and size. But true, he may have harvested the animal for consumption. Secondly and even more so, however, ...... from the pictures, .....and really the last one......I dunno, i just think its borderline classless and tacky the way he's posing for the shot where hes holding the cat. Again, were all just here to gab and spout our opinions, which is harmless i think. And thats my opinion. And no I dont have any fish mounted on my wall by the way lol.

As far as the population control thing,.......why is it, and im not trying to be a smartie here lol, but why is it i can go into the most remote areas of B.C or anywhere really, and theres thriving wildlife everywhere, where there are no hunts going on whatsoever. No animals eating themselves to starvation, and again, this is something I just dont get and im sure theres a reason, seriously just asking the question. Hope it doesnt come off as offensive.

Wow, relax Lew. You can freely state your opinion as I can share mine. :blahblah1:

Right, so why are you continuing to berate him for his opinion then? Same with the war vet above, guy states that he fought for the right, and then pisses on someone for using their right to state their opinion. That makes sense.

I don't see the point of "sport" hunting either... Is that ok to say - or should I expect a lecture?

No different than those folk that have fish mounts on the wall - the animal wasn't consumed in that case either. How many of us have an issue with the dead cougar, yet have a dead muskie on the wall? Hands up, folks...

I myself don't hunt, but have nothing against it. But when sportsmen attack or criticize other legal ways of the land, it's what gives the P3TA folk the ammunition they desire. Divide and conquer the sportsman, and our favourite outdoor activities (including fishing) will become a thing of the past.

Good Fishing or Hunting,

Justin

Edited by JustinHoffman

I think u should expect a lecture, seems to be the consensus here everyone claims they can have their own opinion and get ticked on it when they say their own opinion, thats classic for forums though. I mean i cant even shoot a damn bird nm a cougar like that, oh well good luck and have fun people.

No different than those folk that have fish mounts on the wall - the animal wasn't consumed in that case either. How many of us have an issue with the dead cougar, yet have a dead muskie on the wall? Hands up, folks...

I myself don't hunt, but have nothing against it. But when sportsmen attack or criticize other legal ways of the land, it's what gives the P3TA folk the ammunition they desire. Divide and conquer the sportsman, and our favourite outdoor activities (including fishing) will become a thing of the past.

Good Fishing or Hunting,

Justin

Well said.

You better learn how to read. I didn't direct it at anybody I said we all have a right to opinion.. I don't agree with your opinion and don't agree with mine and that is fine. You don't feed me and I you so lets go fishing.

Edited by Spiel

I fought a war to protect this right but also their right to complain. No ones says you have to hunt but leave the ones that enjoy it alone.

You're telling him not to have an opinion... that's all I was pointing out. But I guess it is your opinion to not want him to have an opinion in which in my opinion I felt it was hypocritical in which in your opinion you felt that my opinion of your opinion of him not having an opinion wasn't a valid opinion.... ahhh forget it - I'm confused. :)

No different than those folk that have fish mounts on the wall - the animal wasn't consumed in that case either.

Not to change the subject but this statement is just not true, I have two bass mounts and harvested the meat from both. Many people don't realize that this can be done.

Whopper

Edited by Whopper

Not to change the subject but this statement is just not true, I have two bass mounts and harvested the meat from both. Many people don't realize that this can be done.

Whopper

Not to highjack this thread but Whopper is right. You can harvest the meat from fish that are being mounted. I know as I have done taxidermy for many years and I have had many fish show up and I would immediately skin them and place the skin in the tanning solution while I prepared dinner with the fillets. Of course I was selective on which fish I would enjoy.

I am a hunter and fisherman and lately I have been more of a conservationist since I have not shot any deer in at least 5 years or anything for that matter and now I have gotten back into fishing so most of my year will be doing exactly that fishing.

I do see both sides to this issue and will stay neutral as there will always be feelings that come into play here and I value Lew as a good friend. Sometimes opinions are exactly that and when they are worded differently it can cause some hurt. I would ask everyone to please be sensitive to each other and hopefully we can all stay as a family on this great messageboard.

Kind regards,

Sam

Edited by DT10Sam

I don't hunt much anymore..

but in almost every case, they set quotas because the population needs culling

or to maintain a certain number of animals in any given area.....

that's why in many areas you can get many deer tags for the same season.......

if it was a legal hunt, then no problem he has the right to do it and if he didn't do it ,likely,

a car or truck would have done it or it would be killed by the MNR to reduce numbers.......

and the cycle of life goes on

I hunt and fish, so I am deffinately not jumping on the tree hugging band wagon. However, I believe you should only take game which you are going to consume. As such I will never hunt black bear. The exception of course is self defence, and if you are a farmer who needs to protect his herd. I was also under the impression that cougars were a protected.

Bear roast is awesome. Kinda like the most tender, mild tasting (but flavourful) beef you'll ever have.

I've been told Lynx is amazing, I don't see why cougar would be any different.

I don't get this board sometimes. Impaling fish for pure enjoyment is fine but got forbid you use anything but a rod (the spearfishing vids), hold it incorrectly, kill one and eat it, or (IMO) act more humanely towards a mammal in the act of hunting.

Generaly I do not comment on the opinions ( prefer facts). And fact is that cougars can be hunted legally in Alberta

http://www.albertahunt.com/cougar.htm

I do not hunt myself, but I can understand hunters and almost all anglers :rolleyes:

The bottom line is: is it what you want to do?, whatever you want to do - is it legal?

If it is legal go ahead and enjoy :clapping:

Do not discuss ( question ) ethics, because it is pointles. What for one is unethical, can be perfectly acceptable for the other ( and it will work backward if we change the subject) :blahblah1:

Time to make the doughnuts....

This was to be a thread about cougars. Instead, we've learned that everyone has the right to his/her opinion. This is really working out well.

Next topic?