Fly Rod Kit For Sale At Costco.ca

alexmedic

My wife has told me that she is thinking of purchasing me a fly rod kit made by Amundson (From BC) that is offered from Costco.ca

Costco Link

Apparently it is a great deal that cost much more if you where to buy it direct from the company

Amundson.ca

I would love to hear any thoughts or opinions on this gear. Is it worth it, or should I just pass it up??

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Ten90

That's an extremely good price for a full fly fishing outfit. I don't flyfish so I don't know which company is good/bad, but since it's extremely cheap compared to other products, you're probably going to be having a hardtime, since it probably is of crap quality. IMO if you're starting and are going to continue later on, you may as well use that $150 toward a decent outfit.

Edited by Mykester

Looking on the Amundson site, it slooks like the Costco outfit is actually this one so potentialy almost $300 worth

http://www.amundson.ca/flyfishing/topfly/topfly_combo.html

It may not be the best quality money can buy, it should be half decent as a starter kit. Is it website only - would be good to be able to get a feel of the rod first but it's a mediuim fast action and that's what you want as a beginner (assuming you are new to fly fishing - apologies if you're not)

I don't think you can go wrong with this outfit.

The 6wt. rod is light enough for trout or panfish and will still handle Bass.

The line is a weight forward design, which will make longer casts easier for you as a beginner. The leaders, tippet, case and chest bag with the tools etc. are things you would need to buy anyway.

Go for it! If you need help learning to cast PM me.

Garry2R's

Amundson isn't very well known but is good product at a good price, they're a factory direct supplier...it's a small BC company, pro staffers all Canadian, rods still built in China...IMO quality and performance is comparable to other fly manufacturers that cost twice as much...

It may be ok, but I don't like the way its advertised.

It comes with a 6 wt forward line, but it doesn't say its a 6 wt rod. I didn't see a length, or number of pieces.

It says made of steel that resists corosion...whats that.

Talk to some guys in a fly club.

See if you can take a course and learn a bit before spending $150 plus tax on something you hope will be what you want

Question - do you want to get into fly fishing?

if the answer is yes, then you will NOT find a better deal than that....this is actually one of the best deals I've ever seen at costco

I'm not sure why everyone is cutting this combo up or looking for faults that simply aren't there?...the costco website is exactly that, it's costco advertising....go to the amundson site if you want full details on the product

amundson is a Canadian company, they make good stuff and that's an amazing price....

Might be okay for a starting outfit although they advertise the reel more than the rod and in most instances a reel does nothing except hold the line. My advice to new flyfisherman is to spend the most money on your rod,then a quality flyline and the least amount of money on your reel.In flyfishing its all about your rod!!! In fact my favorite outfit which is a sage 4 # worth about 500 bucks.Has a cheap tin reel that I picked up at a garage sale for $5 It offends the gadget wieners that I sometimes fish with which makes it all the better.

Edited by Musky or Specks

If I were you I would hold off and buy used quality stuff off someone - look around most fly-guys have lots of old stuff.

Amundson isn't bad but your better off getting quality used stuff - in that case you know what your buying. One thing I would buy new (and name-brand) is the flyline - a great rod doesnt perform worth a damn with a crappy, old line...

has anybody on this thread personally fished with this rod and reel in their hands, or any other amundson rod or reel?

I agree that sage is top notch, my fav rod is winston...but price really shouldn't be the primary factor to determine quality...with the big, top dollar brands half of what you're paying for is the lifetime warranty, it really is, no joke....

to each their own, whatever....all I'm saying is that amundson is a quality product at an affordable price....the combo at costco isn't their top end line either, but is absolutely more than a beginner combo and will last well past your initial learning curve

and reels nowadays do more than hold line, as any gear weiner will attest...disc drags, sealed drags, large arbours speed up line retrieval, etc, etc

has anybody on this thread personally fished with this rod and reel in their hands, or any other amundson rod or reel?

I agree that sage is top notch, my fav rod is winston...but price really shouldn't be the primary factor to determine quality...with the big, top dollar brands half of what you're paying for is the lifetime warranty, it really is, no joke....

to each their own, whatever....all I'm saying is that amundson is a quality product at an affordable price....the combo at costco isn't their top end line either, but is absolutely more than a beginner combo and will last well past your initial learning curve

and reels nowadays do more than hold line, as any gear weiner will attest...disc drags, sealed drags, large arbours speed up line retrieval, etc, etc

Yes they can and Maserati's can go 200km/hr but its absolutely unnecessary and your paying for something you don't need. All the above mentioned functions are useful only if your in the salt. Otherwise there just geegaws. And Im not familiar with the rod company Im just concerned that he could put more of his money towards the important things heck I have an 8# Coma flyrod from china that I love. Cheap foreign technology is sometimes a good thing.

I know nothing about flyfishing but want to give it a try for bass and Northerns mostly. It seems like a good deal to me, and there a Canadian company so it can't be all that bad. What weight is the rod? I think I might order it and check it out, that price by the way also includes shipping.

Holy fast! It just came by UPS today and my wife has let me open the box, before it disappears for father's day.

For anyone that has been following the thread here are the specs:

Rod: Top Fly TF496 F/R - $129.00 - $139.00

Reel: Rocky Mountains RMG 5/6 - $69.00 - $79.00

The Kit is a Rocky Mountain Kit (Rocky Mountain Kit) - $219.00, but the cases are the same color as the Top Fly Kit (Top Fly Kit)

So I think I'm gonna keep it.

Now I just need to figure this whole thing out? It is totally foreign to me!

Anyone in the Barrie area want to give a newbie a tutorial (after father's day of course!!)

Good for you, an inexpensive fly rod outfit is a good starting point, especially if you have a ton invested in spinning gear already.

Two problems come to mind though.......

If the rod/line is not that compatible and/or the rod does not suit your casting style then you may become disillusioned with it and pack it in before you get to really enjoy it.

If you do get the hang of it then the credit card comes out and you go crazy because now you need a 4 weight for small stream rainbows, a 3 weight for specks, a 7 weight for steelhead, a 5 weight medium action for smallmouth as well as the associated reels, line, leaders, flies and so on.

What you should consider is looking up your local fly fishing club or tackle shop and get some guidance on casting, fly presentation etc. Taking one lesson can open up your eyes and your mind quite a lot, or even hiring a good guide can help your casting, fly presentation and where to find fish.

Good luck and trout season is open already, can't you sneak the rod out on weekends until Fathers Day?

Also, I believe there are some fly fishers in your area who post here regularly, maybe you can find someone to help.....

http://www.hipwader.com/

Edited by Baldy

I know nothing about flyfishing but want to give it a try for bass and Northerns mostly. It seems like a good deal to me, and there a Canadian company so it can't be all that bad. What weight is the rod? I think I might order it and check it out, that price by the way also includes shipping.

If you will fish mostly for bass and pike, I would suggest that a fly rod for a fly line weight 8 would just about perfect.

carp-starter