Bass Pro Online

TC1OZ

Most couriers will assess a brokerage fee based on the value of the shipment as a declaration needs to be made. Sometimes, this can be as much as the value of the shipment - for instance I once ordered some flyers from the US DOT for a conference and they put a nominal value of $1.00 per info package. I ordered about 200, and the customs fees came to over $100.00.

Terry nailed it for GST & HST.

For the scoop from CBSA: http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGcustoms-e.asp

from another all knowing(?) internet source: http://doesitblog.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/international-shipping-into-canada/

Wonder who many CCRA audit dudes are members........ :whistling:

Terry is absolutely right! If they ship UPS (and they do!) or Purolator, bend over when the man in brown knocks at your door. The brokerage fee is unreal sometimes and it does seem to be determined by a monkey spinning a wheel of chance. USPS does not charge a brokerage fee and it arrives Canada Post for no additional charges.

BTW the brokerage fee is a scam. It doesn't cost them anything to move the product over the border. UPS and Purolator are both under investigation for this bogus charge (second hand information).

Dan O.

Terry is absolutely right! If they ship UPS (and they do!) or Purolator, bend over when the man in brown knocks at your door. The brokerage fee is unreal sometimes and it does seem to be determined by a monkey spinning a wheel of chance. USPS does not charge a brokerage fee and it arrives Canada Post for no additional charges.

BTW the brokerage fee is a scam. It doesn't cost them anything to move the product over the border. UPS and Purolator are both under investigation for this bogus charge (second hand information).

Dan O.

I ordered standard, so it will be coming regular mail. And brokerage fee's aren't a scam. My old boss is a customs broker for the trucking industry, and if he didn't get paid I'm not sure how his wife and children would eat. Terrible second hand information.

some carriers charge a standard 7 bucks broker fee

some like USPS doesn't charge broker fee

UPS screws us every single time with no rhyme or reason for the amounts they charge

IMO they are ripping us off because Canada isn't important to their over all business so they capitalize on us to off set local deliveries

The post office DOES charge a Brokerage (Handling) fee. $5 is added to the GST and PST you have to pay on the value. Fedex charges $7... UPS = crown and anchor wheel, generally between $25 and $70. If it isn't made in the USA/Canada or Mexico.. and if Customs feels like it they'll get you for duty.

Basspro.com website says who they use for brokerage and it says fee's are calculated when the items are actually packaged for shipping. As a web designer I know how impossible it would be to integrate charging the exact brokerage fees for certain items and not others (due to origin of manufacturer). By the wording of the statement I assume maybe they used to charge a flat fee regardless if it was one item or more? Perhaps that's what Cabela's does?

I can promise you this information is current as I made the post before ordering and have learned more about the process since ordering.

I only ordered from BPS a couple of times a while back so I don't recall for certain how they figured out the brokerage fee, but I do know I did not pay anything when I got my package. They may have sent me my bill via email and required my confirmation prior to shipping, but I cannot recall.

Cabelas did list the brokerage fee on my order (it was $3.50) and it's on the website for my last order. It could simply be that everything I ordered was covered under NAFTA so I did not have to pay any duty. There were times that I did have to pay the postman for taxes, but those were orders from Jammin Jigs or some other small shop.

Anyway, just my personal experience with about six $50 to $250 orders from BPS(2) and Cabelas(4). So, not much experience there. Regardless, it won't be much to be overly concerned with unless you ordered $1000's in lures from Lucky Craft.

My original order was for $107.

My credit card was charged for $115.

The difference was the GST/PST & Duty.

They make the adjustment before they ship it. I believe if its a considerable amount they will call you before processing the order.

Not sure why everyone has so many horror stories. The process is exactly the same if I were to order it express.

There will be no fees when my package arrives tomorrow.

:clapping:

I wouldn't be so sure about no add'l fees!? Good Luck. They got me (me wife as it was a gift) on a hummingbird gps/fishfinder. I think I paid $70 or so dollars for my gift when the man in brown or red and blue showed up! Check your math on GST/PST on $107....certainly more than 8 bucks! I really do hope you get it for $115 all in! Let us know.

Kevin

I wouldn't be so sure about no add'l fees!? Good Luck. They got me (me wife as it was a gift) on a hummingbird gps/fishfinder. I think I paid $70 or so dollars for my gift when the man in brown or red and blue showed up! Check your math on GST/PST on $107....certainly more than 8 bucks! I really do hope you get it for $115 all in! Let us know.

Kevin

I did. I believe they only charge GST (not PST as it was not sold in our province) and the duties are only charged on items that are not considered as NAFTA items.