Should I wait for the Toronto Boatshow?

Jer_H

Hi all,

I am in the market for a new boat, and am wondering if it would be worth waiting until next year for the boat show. Does the concentrated number of vendors result in competitive pricing, or would I be getting a better deal on a new '09 this time of year?

Any experiences you have had would be greatly appreciated.

(I'm presently looking at the Princecraft SS 172)

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

In my humble opinion you get more of the dealers attention and stand a better chance of a deal come late summer or early fall. The downside is that inventories are lower than they are now and you may need to compromise.

Personally, I hate trying to compete with tire kickers at shows. They are a great place to take a look-see and narrow down your selection but I wouldn't buy during all of that hype....

Welcome aboard by the way.

I have a Pro 174SS that I bought new in 2008. Shoot me a PM and I will give you some insight into the dealers that I shopped.

Dude...speaking from personal experience....I say DONT waste your time at the boat show.

I was in the same boat last year, and wow, the "deals" at the show.....were hardly that.

Maybe I hit a bad year, or the recession was at fault, or whatever, but the best a guy could do on a brand new bass boat for me was $500 off. He wouldn't even throw in life-jackets either.

I agree with Grimace, the best deals are in the fall when people/places dont want to bother wasting money on storing boats over the winter.

I think the best deals are in the fall when the in stock boats come off floor plan.

Bingo!

As for the boat show, it is a great place to do research. And sometimes a good deal could be made on a boat like you are looking for becasue there are a few of them around at different dealers. Certain boats(i.e. bass boats) have somewhat limited inventory with alot less dealers representing them.

I got several quotes at the boat show. Then I went around to the dealers and they all beat that quote when they know I was also looking elsewhere.

There are a couple incentives from Mercury and Minn Kota that I got for my boat. You tend not to get these in the fall as much.

I was fairly picky about what I wanted (options, colours, ect) so I bought in the spring. If your not so picky might be able to swing a deal in the fall leftovers.

A few other thing to watch out for too. Interest rates will be going up this summer if you are getting a loan and there is a chance the US dollar going to start comimg back. That will drive up the price of anything that has to be ordered.

Edited by Banger68

Thanks for all of the excellent information. I've heard from several sources interest rates are on the way up. I've considered buying used, but the boat I want is so specific that either I'm not looking in the right places, or there isn't any available in the used market.

Either way, once I make a decision on the 2-stroke vs 4-stroke dilemma I'm hoping to make a purchase!!

Jeremy

Sounds like you are going through the exact process I just went through. The one thing I found odd about the Pricecraft was the lack of proper rod storage.

I decided on 2 stroke, but it took me awhile to decide.

That model has 7' rod storage.