Few firsts for this year

Marko

Hows it going guys?

I had some worms in my car, didn't know what to do with them so decided to give Grand a go, better to drown them then them going bad in my trunk. That stench is unbearable. I was not sure what to expect, I thought river would be high and muddy but to my surprise it wasn't.

Set up my rod and first cast i catch this mirror. Now this is the first mirror of the year and first one from this spot, quite the fish.

Did not bring my net with me so i had to beach them.

DSC00390.jpg

Better look, wasn't very big but still a fish

DSC00393.jpg

After catching first one i am starting to feel better about the spot. Couple of minutes later 3 guys come to the other side of the river and start throwing spinners and crank baits, not sure what they were targeting but not much is open now but carp and suckers lol.

After losing one at the hook set, recast again, 2 minutes go by and my alarm goes off and i get this guy

DSC00394.jpg

THis fish was 28 inches long and as fat as Canadian football, i have never caught one this fat.

DSC00396.jpg

another shot of the same fish.

DSC00397.jpg.

There were couple of ducks swimming around and every time my alarm would go off they would come closer and closer. Maybe they thought it was a female duck looking for company lol.

What would a day of grand river fishing be without one of these.

DSC00398.jpg

Every time i use worms i catch few of these, too bad nobody eats them because the river is full of them.

I did manage one more little guy that nearly took my rod in the water, if it wasn't for some grass on the ground maybe it would have. I didn't get a picture of it, just wanted to put it back in the water.

As the sun went down, wind picked up and fishing died down.

All in all a nice few hours spent, went 4/5 the best day of the year so far.

Nice work Marko. I managed to catch a couple of suckers myself this evening, but that was it. That carp is the fattest one I've ever seen! Wow! Your water there is a lot clearer than the murk I was drowning worms in... Again, nice job.

Uh, it's MY spot lol, I thought you went somewhere else.

We should have just gone there on Saturday, I'll never listen to those online flow data again lol.

congrats on the mirror!

I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw how clear the water was. I guess it serves us right for not taking our time to actually drive down to the river and check it out lol.

That spot of yours has always been kind to me.

Nice work Marko. I managed to catch a couple of suckers myself this evening, but that was it. That carp is the fattest one I've ever seen! Wow! Your water there is a lot clearer than the murk I was drowning worms in... Again, nice job.

If i remember correctly you were fishing Cayuga-dunnville area? I am not sure what Grand river is always murky down that way. My guess is that it has something to do with all dams in that area and maybe sandy bottom. There are huge carp in that area as well but it still might be a tad early.

Hamilton has an amazing carp fishery, in few weeks time it should heat up.

Great report Marko...Congrats on the mirror...You caught a nice redhorse too (the sucker looking fish)- They're a pretty rare catch for the Lake O tribs I fish for steelhead. Hope to hook up with you this season for some Grand river carping action.

Nice pics and good report Marko! Oh and by the way your welcome for those worms lol! Glad they came in handy.

Those were some magic worms you left me, went back yesterday and not even a nibble. Of course i was using my own worms but no luck.

I`ve seen about 6 or 7 roll on the other side of me tho, gotta figure out how to get there.