Motor Guide or Minnkota?

cwpowell

Hey guys, This question may have been asked before.

Looking to throw a bow mount trolling motor on the boat. It's a 16' Starcraft Aluminum.

What should I be looking for?

Mostly fishing conservation areas, erie near dunnvile, hamilton harbour, smaller bodies of water, maybe the odd trip to the kawarthas.

So motor guide or minnkota, what are the pros and cons of each, I'm thinking 55lb thrust.

Thanks in advance guys, and gals.

Edit: Also electric steering or mechanical cable?

Edited by cwpowell

I think you have to decide in YOUR mind what you want to do with it. Stuck sitting in the bow running your motor with a pedal and a cramp in your ankle.... or would you prefer to be elsewhere in the boat.

I love downrigging for Lakers silently ..... running my Motorguide wireless while standing on the back deck.. or from the key fob anywhere in the boat!

I think you have to decide in YOUR mind what you want to do with it. Stuck sitting in the bow running your motor with a pedal and a cramp in your ankle.... or would you prefer to be elsewhere in the boat.

I love downrigging for Lakers silently ..... running my Motorguide wireless while standing on the back deck.. or from the key fob anywhere in the boat!

What model motor guide are you running? The fob sounds really nice. What size boat?

A guy I used to work with at Le Baron said if it was up to him, he would have them drop Motor Guide altogether.

He didn't really get into specifics, but I guess everyone has their own preferences.

Edited by ADB

I've had a few of each over the years, both MinnKota and MotorGuide, cable steer & PD units, and both companies put out quality products, and you'll hear both good and bad with either brand so you'll just have to sort thru it all.

Personally, I prefer the cable steer but that's just my opinon

I'm currently running an 80 pound, 62 inch MinnKota Fortrex and it's by far the best trolling motor I've ever had, but again, that's just my own opinion.

Bought my boat new last year and it came it a Terova, but I had the dealer swap it out for the Fortrex.

Although I have a wireless MotorGuide on my boat, (everything pretty much owned by Brunswick these days), with both the wireless foot control and the key fob control, I prefer Minn Kota. Most Minn Kota models are actually "made in" Mankato MN.

I have had two Minnkotas, one I still have, been having some issues with it the last year. I also have a 55# Motorguide wireless which has had 0 problems. As Irish stated it's nice having the key fob in your hand at the back of the boat.

I bought a new 55# Terrova with the auto pilot and co-pilot (key fob remote control) I absolutely love it, it deploys effortlessly unlike the Minnkota Powerdrive which is a royal pain in the ass to deploy. The only thing i would say i dont like about it is that that speed increments on the remote control are too crude otherwise it is an awesome unit, more than enough power for my 16' Alumarine. It also has a transducer built into the prop head, it works flawlessly....now i just gotta save for a Lowrance HD unit for the back and connect my X67c to the Terrova at the front.

I'd recommend the Terrova.......Cabelas Canada (winnipeg) had the best price on them last year, even when the Loonie was at par and above.

Well, I think no matter where it was made, both of them sbould be good.

Some Pro stuffs like Motor Guide, for example Kevin Van Dam and other prefer Minni Kota. According to In-Fishermen magazine, Minni Kota is the most powerful trolling motor of the world. But, it is more expensive than Motor Guide.

So, it is up to you.

I'm thinking the Powerdrive V2 bowmount 55lb thrust. It comes with a mail in rebate for a free co-pilot fob.

That co-pilot alone retails for like $150. Pretty decent deal since it is for a brand new motor.

But the deal ends on April 15, so better get it quick if you do decide on that!

I have a Minn kota PD with a co pilot, I like the fact that I can use the wireless remote from anywhere in the boat to operate my TM or have the choice to use the foot padel with 20' cord(also from anywhere in the boat) in case I run out of batteries or something goes wrong with my wireless remote.

MotorGuide wireless does not give you that choice.

I'm thinking the Powerdrive V2 bowmount 55lb thrust. It comes with a mail in rebate for a free co-pilot fob.

No problems with my 55lb 12volt powerdrive .But it is a pain to deploy. Grimsby tackle has good pricing if you are in that area