Panfish pandemonium

Fisherpete

Went out for a day of panfishing with Nick, my 11 year old fisher-in-training. He had been bugging me for days to get out, which is odd, I am usually the one pestering him to join me on my excursions... I guess he had a notion that today would be a good day, and he was right... Target species for the day : crappies. We got on the water around 1pm, and I happily noticed that the water temps had raised dramatically since last week (went from 42F to 56F) We immediately hit a school of huge sunfish. These things were awesome, both in size and in scrappiness. A few of them were actually the biggest sunnies I have ever caught... including one at 10" and one at 9.75", and so many over 9" that Nick and I lost count. Over the next six hours we boated over 400, and kept a few dozen of the best of the best for the pan. Anything tipped with a nub of worm would get destroyed within 5 seconds of splashdown. Sooo much fun on the ultralight gear! So what about the target species crappie? Only two smallish ones were caught during the entire bluegill bonanza... oh well, can't complain!

DSCN1567.jpg

On our way back to the launch, with darkness setting in, I decided to try a few casts at a dock that has held crappie in years past... and was immediately rewarded with a nice sized gold and black treat! Next cast... my tube jig gets SMASHED, and I fight what is the biggest crappie I have ever seen to just out of nets reach - splashing and thrashing and then he is off, I was in too much of a rush and horsed it a bit, straightening the damn hook... arrrggghhh!!! I would estimate it at 14" and over 2 lbs... After I finished cursing myself, and my heart rate slowed down, I continued to pepper the dock with casts, and caught good sized crappie steady for the next hour and a half. The second last fish of the night was another biggun' - this time I took it easy during the fight, and Nick stood on guard with the net ready... SCOOP! 12.75" and thick! Beats my previous PB crappie by 2 inches! And an upgrade for Team One Rippin' Weeds panfish category, with 2 bonus OFAH inches to boot.

DSCN1562.jpg

DSCN1560.jpg

Well, the worst part is now done (2 hours to fillet all those tasty fishies), but I have a great fish fry to look forward to tomorrow... turned out to be my best sunfish and crappie day ever, and Nick and I both had an absolute blast. So glad I took that "One last cast" today!!!

Good shootin' Pete! Don't you just love when everything just comes together like that? I'm sure the youngster will be talking about his outing for a while to come. Congrats to you both.

Oh skeeeeeeeeeeeeter!!! Dinner is ready! Mmmmmmm.... so tasty!

And riverfisher, I think you may be right... the big one that I lost may have even pushed 5 lbs lmao! Seriously though, it was a tank, but I guess we will never know for sure... until I catch him later this week... :)

Edited by Fisherpete

HaHa great post, the sunfish/bluegills are way scrappier than crappies. Lots of times they are together at this time of year and you could always tell a bluegill when it hit the tube, kinda like a litle bass. The crappie fight like wet socks in comparison.

The filleting of the fish is the least fun but eating them can't be beat.