Lurkers Lectures

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Float reel: Instant hook-ups and longer, smoother slow drifts. Alot more line at your disposal and almost never a reel failure.

Spinning reel: You can cast farther upstream all day long, fish 14 hrs/day and 7 days/week with no arm fatigue and loose less fish with a good drag.

Guides: Try not fish on weekends when most of their clients book and hope when you run into them that their clients have experience, etiquette, commensense and the wrong bait.

:rolleyes: Rob!

Between Sinker and Solo, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was close to 60yrs worth of steelheading knowledge and experience pooled between the both of them – Not to forget the other guys who chimed in…

As far as evolution goes, centrepins are the oldest reels in history developed by the Chinese a few thousand years ago (made of wood) and perfected by the English in the 1400’s…Surely spinning reels and baitcasters (with multiplier gearing and drags) would be the next step… :P

If I had to choose only 1 reel to take with me on a trip, a 2000 or 2500 sized spinning reel would be my choice for sheer versatility. I almost always have my spinning reel with me in my bag as a backup as well as for bottom bouncing or tossing lures (often times I bring a dedicated spinning outfit along too). If I lost the center screw on my pin I could easily use my spinning reel to drift floats down river (Which I did 2wks ago - found the screw in the end though). From a use perspective, I use a pin for the sheer fun of fighting a fish with it.

The only limitation a spinning reel has for presenting baits or fighting fish is the limitation in skill of the angler using it. Can you go from total free spool to lock down while fighting a fish with a spinning reel? Definitely: Just finger the spool with your index finger (not too different from using a pinky as a drag with the pin)…With the right technique you can make the same long, drag-free drifts as well as trot the float back. Is it easier to drift a float with a centrepin? Sure, it’s more efficient to use one…Is a centrepin more effective at drifting? No

I don’t believe that anyone here is arguing that spinning reels are more efficient or effective than a centrepin at drifting…They are arguing that spinning reels can be AS effective at drifting given the skills of an angler to adapt and use them. By ‘effective’ I’m referring to the fact that you can make the same drag free drift as you can with a centrepin.

With regards to bottom bouncing, understandably it’s a different culture on the rivers now (at least for Lake O tribs) – Most guys who are starting the float game now do so with a centrepin. They don’t think they can use a spinning reel to achieve the same quality of drifts as with a pin (or they get frustrated learning how to or see the growing population of pinners pounding fish – More pinners = more fish caught with pins). Lake O rivers nowadays are silt choked, slow moving ditches (not that they weren’t before but way more now) which makes bottom bouncing less desirable to do (though still very possible).

If I was faced with a river full of pocket water or stretches of deep, fast flowing water, I wouldn’t hesitate to leave a $1400 float combo behind at home and use my 9ft med action spinning combo to bounce bottom. If I was going to purposely snag or line a fish, I wouldn’t use a float either…It would save me $2.50 in tackle in case I break off as well as give me a more direct point to snag a fish with. I see tons of float guys run ‘search’ leaders well overdepth attempting to line fish in shin deep water – It works both ways

With all said and done, with the right guidance, a newbie can pick up a spinning reel + float rod and within a 5-10min lesson can pound fish…As EC1 can attest from last December. I must say, he did have a kick-ass guide… :whistling:

edwinsteel.jpg

Just to clarify are you saying that you can drift down 100-200' and keep your line as tight with a nice presentation with a spinning reel as with a centerpin? also are you saying that spilt second you have to lock down and keep a fish out of the wood work is as effective with a spinning as it is with a centrepin?

if so,..(which I dont beleive for a second)...and you have this skill...why do you own a centrepin...would seem redundant...and a waste of money for the truelly skilled anglers....your words seem to suggest only the middle of the road guys would use it...but spinners are gfood for newbies and the well skilled guys. please clarify

Edited by StoneFly

I saw a guy on the water with a good old red and white bobber the other day.

In fact he barged into the spot I was fishing.

I moved, hooked into a fish, went to show my dad, went back to the spot and red/white was standing in my spot. And he had hooked into one.

Then he broke off cause his gear sucked. lol.

Bahahahahaha....this was the point of my original post into this thread,..and it turened into something retarded....I see the same thing all the time....

Its obvious you don't know how to use a spinning reel.....

A center pin will aid in presentation......yes.

In fighting a fish....not so much. Haven't you ever used your finger on the spool of a spinning reel?? It comes as second nature to guys who use them. Not to mention a way faster line retrieve, for when they turn and run right at you. A spinning reel is also a lot warmer than holding a solid piece of aluminum in your hand when its freezin cold out. I know for sure you can't cast as far with your pin as I can with a spinning reel too.

You say you don't have the "elitest" attitude, but I'd beg to differ, after reading your replies. Your so caught up in it, you don't even realize it.

No way ..not on your life can you drift down more than 20' with a spinning reel the same as a centrepin...sorry,..B*. I agree on casting...no doubt there. your argument about elitest is also B*...recall i used to use a spinning set-up...do you think I changed becasue I think its cool? LMAO...give your head a shake!!! as far as reeling in...i can rell a 5" reel in faster than a soinning reel,..im not sure who couldnt. :) the only time a spinning reel for a float set up even come close is in the ditches....but landing the fish has less success,..and the topic of FUN hasnt even been introdcued,...isnt that what its all about...?

Stonefly, you're very obviously the goof wearing Patagucci with a matching centerpin. Time and again here you have proved ignorance and lack luster intelligence by tossing out some insults and misinformation.

If you can't comprehend the fact that your Lake O ditches are vastly different than the Superior tribs you are dense. Bottom bouncing is a proven and very effective technique up where we alls are imbreds. It doesn't equate ubiquitously to flossing as you seem to gather. To learn to catch fish and save tackle in northern tribs or the rapids, you have to have some skill. Its how all of the people I know learned...though once the horseless carriages made it possible to ship float reels into Northern Ontario (past Barrie for you) a growing number of people are trying because it is a new challenge.

I like to think of being a steelheader as opposed to a centerpinner (though I use one alot), Im out there to catch fish on whatever it takes, not just to look the part.

Edited by troutologist

Wow, this thread took a turn for the worse. Got a wee bit heated up. I am a brutal steelhead fisherman but I am always up for a good ruck.

I don't have a centerpin reel but I have used one. I wasn't very good with it and because I rarely fish for steelies, it wouldn't be my choice of reel. I am sure once you get the hang of them they work better for most situations but for the average Joe like me to drop $200 (at least) on a reel that I would use 3 times a year seems senseless. I don't think 95% of guys are using pins but maybe that is just on the rivers I have fished. I would say about 10% use pins on the Notty but I may be wrong.

I am useless at drifting and I bottom bounce but never ever floss fish. I think the satement about all bottom bouncer fishermen are flossing fish, is not true for the majority of people.

Stonefly, I do like your passion for centerpins and I think you're probably a great fisherman but for me a spinning reel or casting reel would be a better choice. For you and Solo a pin makes sense and for most situations they probably work better.

PS. If this turns violent, count me in. Don't know which side I will be on but I will be in it. LOL!

Stonefly, you're very obviously the goof wearing Patagucci with a matching centerpin. Time and again here you have proved ignorance and lack luster intelligence by tossing out some insults and misinformation.

If you can't comprehend the fact that your Lake O ditches are vastly different than the Superior tribs you are dense. Bottom bouncing is a proven and very effective technique up where we alls are imbreds. It doesn't equate ubiquitously to flossing as you seem to gather. To learn to catch fish and save tackle in northern tribs or the rapids, you have to have some skill. Its how all of the people I know learned...though once the horseless carriages made it possible to ship float reels into Northern Ontario (past Barrie for you) a growing number of people are trying because it is a new challenge.

I like to think of being a steelheader as opposed to a centerpinner (though I use one alot), Im out there to catch fish on whatever it takes, not just to look the part.

When cousins marry....Lol...Hey dumbass,..why dont you re-read all the posts...or did you mommy leave for the night?....you know jackshit about me or where I fish...you inbred peice of donkey crap...the majority of my fishing has been on the notty..is that an eastern ditch?

Yes I have an islander ...a relatively cheap rod,..cheap waders,..and a cheap old snow bloarding jacket....where the F do you get off assuming all the rest....because you took a half-wit sir sanford fleming course, that any moron could get into? then you had to move to Winnepeg to get a low paying job? i dont even know what pattagucci is....As for past Barrie....Well I spent the half of my time growing up north of huntsville as a youth...and still try to get up there as much as possible...so for the rest of your idiotic stements...Stuff it.. :)

....Lol...Hey my northern friend,..why dont you re-read all the posts...you know anything about me or where I fish...you snow-lovin, searchmont skiin, sir james dunn graduate...the majority of my fishing has been on the notty..is that an eastern ditch?

Yes I have an islander ...a relatively cheap rod,..cheap waders,..and a cheap old snow bloarding jacket....you assumed the rest....because you took a sir sanford fleming course, ? then you had to move to Winnipeg to get a job? i dont even know what pattagucci is....As for past Barrie....Well I spent the half of my time growing up north of huntsville as a youth...and still try to get up there as much as possible...so for the rest of your stements...I am ignoring them.. :)

Hey Bro,

I changed your post a bit. Edit yours so you don't get the boot here. This is hardly worth getting kicked off for.

Take care

Alright, you got me I'm just upset I had to take a crap job.

By the way its spelled Winnipeg, U of Waterloo, and thanks for paying my salary, you're quite generous with the tax monies.

Your attitude about folks from Northern Ontario, among other things, is less than admirable.

Good luck fishing.

By the way its spelled Winnipeg, U of Waterloo, and thanks for paying my salary, you're quite generous with the tax monies.

Your attitude about folks from Northern Ontario, among other things, is less than admirable.

Good luck fishing.

Hey I went to U of Waterloo as well.

When did you graduate? What course?PS I fixed his Winnipeg in my post of his quote.

Edited by Cudz

When cousins marry....Lol...Hey dumbass,..why dont you re-read all the posts...or did you mommy leave for the night?....you know jackshit about me or where I fish...you inbred peice of donkey crap...the majority of my fishing has been on the notty..is that an eastern ditch?

Yes I have an islander ...a relatively cheap rod,..cheap waders,..and a cheap old snow bloarding jacket....where the F do you get off assuming all the rest....because you took a half-wit sir sanford fleming course, that any moron could get into? then you had to move to Winnepeg to get a low paying job? i dont even know what pattagucci is....As for past Barrie....Well I spent the half of my time growing up north of huntsville as a youth...and still try to get up there as much as possible...so for the rest of your idiotic stements...Stuff it.. :)

:lol:

Hey Bro,

I changed your post a bit. Edit yours so you don't get the boot here. This is hardly worth getting kicked off for.

Take care

:clapping:

Good luck fishing.

:whistling::lol:

I am old. Bachelor of Environmental Studies 1991-1995.

Played football and had a girlfriend from the Soo. lol.

I worked in the Peg for 2 summers and my sister still lives in Portage. I fished the red for those big cats and caught huge drum and huge carp there as well.

Edited by Cudz

Wow, this thread took a turn for the worse. Got a wee bit heated up. I am a brutal steelhead fisherman but I am always up for a good ruck.

I don't have a centerpin reel but I have used one. I wasn't very good with it and because I rarely fish for steelies, it wouldn't be my choice of reel. I am sure once you get the hang of them they work better for most situations but for the average Joe like me to drop $200 (at least) on a reel that I would use 3 times a year seems senseless. I don't think 95% of guys are using pins but maybe that is just on the rivers I have fished. I would say about 10% use pins on the Notty but I may be wrong.

I am useless at drifting and I bottom bounce but never ever floss fish. I think the satement about all bottom bouncer fishermen are flossing fish, is not true for the majority of people.

Stonefly, I do like your passion for centerpins and I think you're probably a great fisherman but for me a spinning reel or casting reel would be a better choice. For you and Solo a pin makes sense and for most situations they probably work better.

PS. If this turns violent, count me in. Don't know which side I will be on but I will be in it. LOL!

Cudz,...I totally respect your opinion,...mostly becasue of the way you said it. If I were you I wouldn't buy a pin either,..you need to be avid river fisherman to make the learning curve worthwhile....I really dont know where the notion of Centre pin guys use it for any other reason than it is more effective came about and I dont really care...I think the only guys that disagree are the ones that didnt have the patience to use it effectively....or just dont get it. I am the last guy that would use something becasue I thought it made me cool...geeez im on the river with a rod with a broken tip...and a jacket with gluestains all over it because i used it for construction on rooftops...and my sweater ,..the blue one..is 15 years old, the zipper doesnt work and its got perminant burrs lodged in it...oh also I have the cheapest chest pack money can buy...but inside is gold....if that is elitest,..i dont even know what I would call some of the other guys wearing $3000 worth of gear. cuz it aint me.

To your last 2 points...You probably dont know you are flossing...but alot of guys do...and as for the centrepin working better for some guys,..its only because they took the time and effort to learn...and now understand how much better it is than a spinining reel for drifting...regarding the notty...I disagree bigtime...closer to 80% or more use pins... but then again its more of the catch and release guys.

And to the last one...I had a very frustrating workday today and was punching walls and steel doors anytime i wasnt around co-workers....kinda wished I was on the river close to some big mouths that were here yapping a bunch of Bull!!! lol...not directed at you Cudz....but some of the name callin guys...GIDDY UP!!!!

Cudz,...I totally respect your opinion,...mostly becasue of the way you said it. If I were you I wouldn't buy a pin either,..you need to be avid river fisherman to make the learning curve worthwhile....I really dont know where the notion of Centre pin guys use it for any other reason than it is more effective came about and I dont really care...I think the only guys that disagree are the ones that didnt have the patience to use it effectively....or just dont get it. I am the last guy that would use something becasue I thought it made me cool...geeez im on the river with a rod with a broken tip...and a jacket with gluestains all over it because i used it for construction on rooftops...and my sweater ,..the blue one..is 15 years old, the zipper doesnt work and its got perminant burrs lodged in it...oh also I have the cheapest chest pack money can buy...but inside is gold....if that is elitest,..i dont even know what I would call some of the other guys wearing $3000 worth of gear. cuz it aint me.

To your last 2 points...You probably dont know you are flossing...but alot of guys do...and as for the centrepin working better for some guys,..its only because they took the time and effort to learn...and now understand how much better it is than a spinining reel for drifting...regarding the notty...I disagree bigtime...closer to 80% or more use pins... but then again its more of the catch and release guys.

And to the last one...I had a very frustrating workday today and was punching walls and steel doors anytime i wasnt around co-workers....kinda wished I was on the river close to some big mouths that were here yapping a bunch of Bull!!! lol...not directed at you Cudz....but some of the name callin guys...GIDDY UP!!!!

Hey I hear what you are saying, I just think the way you say it comes off as really harsh and as soon as you do that then people get their backs up. I can relate to having bad days at work. Wait a second, no I can't, I am a phys ed teacher. Anyway, I know how it can feel after having a bad day and then feeling like everyone is on your case about something you believe strongly in. Writing on the internet can often come across differently than you plan it to. Often, the readers will put their own tone on a post that is not the same tone as you had written. Sarcasm is a good example of something that doesn't work well on the internet or in text messages. Anyway Stonefly, I think you are a good fisherman and I think you have some good insight and info that would prove valuable to many anglers here. I don't want to see you get banned or have you stop posting over something as small as an opinion about suitable river gear. Hope you take that into consideration and make some little changes to a few post before sunrise. That would be cool.

Just for a joke Im bringen the red and whites down for some float fishing in the am.

I recall an old gent criticizing me over my gear.What he said was"what do you need that fir, are ya tryin to intice he lady fish with the fancy what nots, this what you need boy".

On that note as I remember I do the same on occasions.No more than 5 bucks for a set and bait.

And he out fished me.

This rig up caught me a monster pike and a few trout.

Just to clarify are you saying that you can drift down 100-200' and keep your line as tight with a nice presentation with a spinning reel as with a centerpin? also are you saying that spilt second you have to lock down and keep a fish out of the wood work is as effective with a spinning as it is with a centrepin?

if so,..(which I dont beleive for a second)...and you have this skill...why do you own a centrepin...would seem redundant...and a waste of money for the truelly skilled anglers....your words seem to suggest only the middle of the road guys would use it...but spinners are gfood for newbies and the well skilled guys. please clarify

I can do both: go to total lock down in an instant and do long drifts…Not sure if you have the skill yet to do it though :whistling::P

I never suggested that only newbies and pros can use spinning reels...Quite the opposite...Given practice and ingenuity, anyone can achieve the same results. On top of that, you also have the versatility to switch up to lure chucking or bottom bouncing.

For long drifts with the spinning reel, I usually have an open bail and feather the line as it comes off the spool to control the speed at which line flows off the reel – You can also control speed at which line goes off the spool by varying the distance at which your finger is away from the lip of the spool…I almost always cast directly across from me or slightly downstream. In faster flows I sometimes cast a few feet upstream to ensure my bait is close to bottom throughout most of the drift (but never enough to not be in contact with the float). Manipulate the angle of your rod to control slack and lightly mend if required (similar to trotting a float with a pin)...Continue on with the drift for however far you want to fish. The limper the line, the easier it is to do (6-8lb Silver Thread is my favourite). As with centrepins the longer the rod, the easier it is to do. Should a fish take the bait, trap the line against the spool with your index finger and set the hook (At least that’s how I do it) – Close the bail and proceed to fight the fish.

You may question “don’t you lose fish when you gotta go through all those steps especially when you have to close the bail?” I personally don’t…Usually when you hook a fish, they usually headshake for a bit which gives you enough time to close the bail and reel in whatever minimal slack there may be. The 6.1 ratio on my Stradic makes it easy (Especially with a 4000 size reel).

One other method which I’ve seen was with BBNotty’s son. He manipulated his drift by opening and closing the bait to create a seamless drag free drift – He also controls slack on the water by adjusting the angle of his rod and casts across or only very slightly upstream to make sure his offering is down near bottom throughout the drift. The day I fished with him, he actually did end of catching 95% of the fish out of all the anglers that day which were almost all pinners.LOL

There are a few different ways to get a good long distance drag free float. Pick one that you’re comfortable with and practice.

Why do I use a float reel?

- It’s fun to use and more efficient than a spinning reel

- My first ever centrepin (a 3.75" Hardy Silex replica) was given to me for free as a kid by my early steelheading mentors who were English (and also machinists). They made it for me and taught me how to use it at no charge

- My $800 custom AngSpec was also free (Why not use it?)

Why don’t I use a spinning reel for float fishing 100% of the time?

- As I said, a float reel is fun to use and efficient

- I do use a spinning reel when it’s blowing more than 25 clicks

- I do use a spinning reel off the pier for chucking spoons

- I do use a spinning reel to bottom bounce. Usually use either a 9-11ft Med-light or med action rod for fast water or an old 10'6" noodle rod in slower or shallower water as seen in the background of this picture)...Sometimes fish spook from the sight of even clear floats...Gotta adapt.

IMG_4153.jpg

- I do use a spinning reel to toss spinners (Usually with a 7ft Shimano Compre spinning rod as seen in this picture)

20080426011.jpg

- From time to time, I still do take a spinning reel out to float fish with if there's only enough room for 1 reel in my bag (I was a poor university student at one time who had to take the bus everywhere - 2000 Stradic matched with an old 13' Loomis...float fish, bottom bounced and spinner fished with it depending on what stretch of river I happened to be fishing as well as the conditions)

IMGP0577.jpg

My 2000 and 4000 Shimano stradics get a good work out during the season.

I like variety so I also fly fish and swing large streamers for steel but I guess that wasn't part of the question...

20060430034.jpg

As an aside

Why don't I use a spinning reel + 13ft rod 100% of the time?

I wouldn't mind getting stuck using a spinning reel...A 13ft rod however might be a great choice for float fishing, it isn't always the best tool for the job for other steelheading disciplines(In case you may be wondering)...For my fishing, I worry more about the action and physical abilities of the rod I'm using than the reel...But that's just me...Anyone who fishes with me knows I use whatever tactics work the best for the conditions given...And No float fishing isn't always the best.

In my opinion, learning a variety of different skills makes you a better angler...Of course that's just my opinion.

Edited by MJL

was there from 2000-2007 biology

how about you?

7 years for a 2 year college diploma that anyone over the age of 21 can walk into without a highschool diploma? Impressive...Lol did you have to do a read and write test,..or just count to ten on your fingers? or 9 ? toes?

As for me,..I got an acutal honors degree in Environmental Science majoring in earth and atmoshpheric and water science. You wouldnt understand the level we go into. Many grads from your program tried to get into mine and got exempted from like 2 courses out of 40,...lol. the whole fisheries/wildlife part was kindof the bird course aspect...where we went to the tanks for the breeding and saw how they added extra dye to the fish to make them more colurful...for commercial operations. kindof like cosmetics...is that what you do?

but seriously,...Environmentally as a whole...the science of the soil, water and air and how we manage that for the ecosphere and human health is very complex...the fish part is relatively easy...hence the bird courses. for a guy working at Mcdonalds,..it may seem difficult or uadmiable...and dont get me wrong...Im glad you guys do what you do...although I have read many many studies and they are very flawed both scientifaically and from a self serving job preservation point of view.

Im not even going to explain the higher level science,..becasue i dont think you will understnad.

Ecology and fishery biology are not hard...you just have conflicting interests to deal with and have to choose when to sell out and when not to.

I work in the alternative green energy development sector...new to North america...but gaining huge strides..Europe is doing well and Ontario is now the next leader in north america. Please just keep stocking my fish...so I can have fun...thank bud!!! by the way..Lose the chinooks, keep up the coho, steelhead, browns and atlantics I guess.

so before making judgments,..either think or ask...

Hey I hear what you are saying, I just think the way you say it comes off as really harsh and as soon as you do that then people get their backs up. I can relate to having bad days at work. Wait a second, no I can't, I am a phys ed teacher. Anyway, I know how it can feel after having a bad day and then feeling like everyone is on your case about something you believe strongly in. Writing on the internet can often come across differently than you plan it to. Often, the readers will put their own tone on a post that is not the same tone as you had written. Sarcasm is a good example of something that doesn't work well on the internet or in text messages. Anyway Stonefly, I think you are a good fisherman and I think you have some good insight and info that would prove valuable to many anglers here. I don't want to see you get banned or have you stop posting over something as small as an opinion about suitable river gear. Hope you take that into consideration and make some little changes to a few post before sunrise. That would be cool.

Yo bud, I hear ya...DAM you got a great job...!! any grade 12 girls? Lol...wait...i never asked that...lol.. As for the rest...yo man...read it all from page 8,...im gettin attacked from ll sides,..mostly from the same 4 guys...its all good...I luahg at it for the most part. there is a reason they let posts like this keep going ;) as long as it is within limits...Im getting a commissiion ;)

you can edit my posts? lol

I quote your post and edit it in my reply box. Takea look at the difference between your actual post and what I quoted you on earlier. I was hoping you would change your original. lol

Edited by Cudz

I can do both: go to total lock down in an instant and do long drifts…Not sure if you have the skill yet to do it though :whistling::P

I never suggested that only newbies and pros can use spinning reels...Quite the opposite...Given practice and ingenuity, anyone can achieve the same results. On top of that, you also have the versatility to switch up to lure chucking or bottom bouncing.

For long drifts with the spinning reel, I usually have an open bail and feather the line as it comes off the spool to control the speed at which line flows off the reel – You can also control speed at which line goes off the spool by varying the distance at which your finger is away from the lip of the spool…I almost always cast directly across from me or slightly downstream. In faster flows I sometimes cast a few feet upstream to ensure my bait is close to bottom throughout most of the drift (but never enough to not be in contact with the float). Manipulate the angle of your rod to control slack and lightly mend if required (similar to trotting a float with a pin)...Continue on with the drift for however far you want to fish. The limper the line, the easier it is to do (6-8lb Silver Thread is my favourite). As with centrepins the longer the rod, the easier it is to do. Should a fish take the bait, trap the line against the spool with your index finger and set the hook (At least that’s how I do it) – Close the bail and proceed to fight the fish.

You may question “don’t you lose fish when you gotta go through all those steps especially when you have to close the bail?” I personally don’t…Usually when you hook a fish, they usually headshake for a bit which gives you enough time to close the bail and reel in whatever minimal slack there may be. The 6.1 ratio on my Stradic makes it easy (Especially with a 4000 size reel).

One other method which I’ve seen was with BBNotty’s son. He manipulated his drift by opening and closing the bait to create a seamless drag free drift – He also controls slack on the water by adjusting the angle of his rod and casts across or only very slightly upstream to make sure his offering is down near bottom throughout the drift. The day I fished with him, he actually did end of catching 95% of the fish out of all the anglers that day which were almost all pinners.LOL

There are a few different ways to get a good long distance drag free float. Pick one that you’re comfortable with and practice.

Why do I use a float reel?

- It’s fun to use and more efficient than a spinning reel

- My first ever centrepin (a 3.75" Hardy Silex replica) was given to me for free as a kid by my early steelheading mentors who were English (and also machinists). They made it for me and taught me how to use it at no charge

- My $800 custom AngSpec was also free (Why not use it?)

Why don’t I use a spinning reel for float fishing 100% of the time?

- As I said, a float reel is fun to use and efficient

- I do use a spinning reel when it’s blowing more than 25 clicks

- I do use a spinning reel off the pier for chucking spoons

- I do use a spinning reel to bottom bounce. Usually use either a 9-11ft Med-light or med action rod for fast water or an old 10'6" noodle rod in slower or shallower water as seen in the background of this picture)...Sometimes fish spook from the sight of even clear floats...Gotta adapt.

IMG_4153.jpg

- I do use a spinning reel to toss spinners (Usually with a 7ft Shimano Compre spinning rod as seen in this picture)

20080426011.jpg

- From time to time, I still do take a spinning reel out to float fish with if there's only enough room for 1 reel in my bag (I was a poor university student at one time who had to take the bus everywhere - 2000 Stradic matched with an old 13' Loomis...float fish, bottom bounced and spinner fished with it depending on what stretch of river I happened to be fishing as well as the conditions)

IMGP0577.jpg

My 2000 and 4000 Shimano stradics get a good work out during the season.

I like variety so I also fly fish and swing large streamers for steel but I guess that wasn't part of the question...

20060430034.jpg

As an aside

Why don't I use a spinning reel + 13ft rod 100% of the time?

I wouldn't mind getting stuck using a spinning reel...A 13ft rod however might be a great choice for float fishing, it isn't always the best tool for the job for other steelheading disciplines(In case you may be wondering)...For my fishing, I worry more about the action and physical abilities of the rod I'm using than the reel...But that's just me...Anyone who fishes with me knows I use whatever tactics work the best for the conditions given...And No float fishing isn't always the best.

In my opinion, learning a variety of different skills makes you a better angler...Of course that's just my opinion.

but I believe you said in drifting situations you use a centre pin unless the wind is over 25km/h...correct? I understand why...the line blowing off the pin is a pain in the ass if you dont know how to control it...

and again...every single post you have made here has been about centrepins and teaching your buddies to use a centre pin? notwithstanding your carp posts....which incidently are Awesome on a pin as well ;)

In addition...just because you decided to use a flyrod or ot bottom bounce on that particular day doesnt make it more effective....it just means you have a lot more time to mess around,..lol......ive seen you on the rivers several times with nothing other than a centre pin... :)

Stonefly,A quick question,Have you float fished the grand for bows?

Not this spring...but I know guys who have in the past when its LEGIT....its closed you know where your thinking...but then again vini...we dont want to opent that can of worms do we? remember those pics of you guys poaching last fall...lol

Edited by StoneFly

I quote your post and edit it in my reply box. Takea look at the difference between your actual post and what I quoted you on earlier. I was hoping you would change your original. lol

Oh boy ...Ive had enough...lol...Edit what you like...lol...I stand behind what Ive sai. if you want the full version go back 100 replies lol...gotta be a record for one night.