My up to date fishing reports Feb 23-27

steverowbotham

Friday, February 23 (Lake Nipissing)

Kelli and I arrive to Lake Nipissing at about 2:30pm and are greeted by Carl and Randy of Grump and Grumpy's Ice Fishing Adventures, my 3rd trip with them. We drive out to our huts and unpack, our first line goes down at around 3:00pm. Kelli has the first fish by about 3:01pm, a little 6 inch perch. About two minutes later, as I am still setting up my rods, Kelli's rod is bent right over and as it gets to the hole, I hear oh my God, whuddid I get? whuddid I get? It was her first herring! Action was steady until dark, and then it died for the night. We had a feed of perch, played some Crazy 8's, watched a DVD and went to bed.

Saturday, February 24 (Lake Nipissing)

We awake at about 6:00am and set new minnows on our untouched lines. Action was slow with only a few perch until noon, but then the perch and herring began biting once again. Minnows accounting for the majority of the fish, but maggots on a Marmooska also taking plenty of fish. Dark made its way back and the card table came back out. During our game of Crazy 8's we landed 5 perch and a mudpuppy, the rods kept bouncing, and as the table went away for the night, a rod bent right over and Kelli was experiencing her first real battle of the trip. The 6 pound whitie emerged through the hole and I grabbed hold of it just as the line broke. Thank God I had a good grip, or did I? Nope, plop down the hole she goes. Kelli was pretty dissappointed in me, but thats how fishin goes!

Sunday, February 25 (Lake Nipissing)

Well my eyes open up at about 3am to see my tip up straight up in the air! I lunge out of bed and grab it only to feel nothing. I set it back down and it is bouncing, so I bring it up and it had another line tangled in it, with an 11 inch perch on it, YOINK in the bucket, lines back down, ass back in bed. 5am ... CRASH. There's a rod in the hole, I set the hook, 4 big head shakes and she's off. Who knows, but it's 5am, I'm still sleeping. Finally at 6, I got out of bed and fished until about noon with LOTS of perch being caught. Also lost a rod down the hole, to what I can only assume was a pike. All in all, great trip, Randy and Carl are great and I recommend them to anyone!

Monday, February 26 (Little Lake)

Got out to Little Lake in Barrie for a few hours in the afternoon, dropped 4 inch minnows down on set lines and got 6 LITTLE pike in a couple hours, not a bad way to kill time!

Tuesday, February 27 (Lake Simcoe)

Got out to my perch grounds today at around 1:00pm. Just got a new 30" light action rod, spooled with new 3lbs fluorocarbon. Right away I started catching em. Nothing big though, all 6-9 inch fish. I was fishing 30 fow alternating between live shiners and a marmooska/maggots. In 4 hours I caught about 70 perch, and probably 15 or 20 herring. I havent caught a herring for probably 4 years on Simcoe, but I couldnt get away from them today, wherever I'd move to, there were more herring! All were released, some perch kept for a feed tonight.

Well, now I am up to date! I will be adding pictures later on, so check back on the report later on!