Rescue this AM

Rippinlips

I am in downtown whitby and I was out shoveling the drive and saw something move and looked up to see this beautiful animal. I did not approach him but he tried to get up on the fence on front yard and fell over.

I called animal services and they arrived,noosed him without any trouble and he/she is on their way to get help. The guy informed me they will call me to let me know how it is doing.

Just a beautiful creature and happy someone will be able to do something if possible. Thanks for listening.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u79/ArC...16/MVC-012S.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u79/ArC...16/MVC-011S.jpg

Edited by Rippinlips

Good job!!! What a beautiful bird.Make sure you stay on top of animal services rippinlips. Find out if they need donations or if you have a number for me to call. I don't have the upmost faith in what they will do. They took a racoon from me when I was younger that I had raised for two years, the raccoon lived in my backyard but had befriended me and followed me everywhere. I would have this little guy on my shoulder or backpack (i know cliche) but he was no threat becuase we fed him and took care of him from a young age. He was free to come and go as he wanted. My dad and I built a little home for him and the racoon was even friendly with my dog. Needless to say he was a close to domestciated as possible. Loved people and pets. Since we had taken care of him I don't think he was a savy hunter or animal. Needless to say one day when I was walking with him in my pack animal control stopped me and took him because of a bylaw in oshawa about exotic pets. They realesed him at darlington park without any regard for his ability to survive. To make matters worse it was sept when they decided to "confiscate" him and "set him free" meaning he had no home and no food stores. Since then I am not 100% sure of the abilities by a goverment agency. If anyone who reads this comes across a similar situation with whatever animal get in touch with me I know a wildlife rehab centre just north of ajax call second chance wildlife sanctuary. They take and help everything from cats all the way to deer. P.S. She also always needs support i.e. donations (pet food, money anything) or volunteers. But again good job on saving that little guy.

bookoobeast

Thanks for mentioning the Second Chance Wildlife Sanctuary here. I had no idea that it existed and sounds exactly like an organization that I would love to get involved on a volunteer basis with my kids. ....opppps just noticed most of her intake is cats.... allergies ....... maybe a donation will have to do.

Edited by Davis Battah

I will definately stay on top of it. The guy called a local vet in whitby here but he was away on holidays. he contacted the Bowmanville zoo as they have vets on hand to deal with birds and such. he said the animal will be taken to a location where it will receive the attention it needs.

I hope that is the case. anyway, I will post whatever I find out in the next few days.Amazing how a creature like that can just make your day. :thumbsup_anim:

Quick update:

Animal services in Whitby here said that 2 volunteers from Toronto Wildlife arrived to pick up the animal. He also stated that this is the best possible place for the bird. It was still alive although he said a little weak.

They will call them in a few days to give a full report. He also said that the bird,if it recovers fully will have to be released within a kilometer of where it was found due to ministry guidelines.

Will post more as I find out.

PS nautifish: I asked the guy for a guess on the birds age, he said they figure it was a little older bird than 2-4 years. The picture did not do it justice as it was quite tall standing up. I should get a full detailed report on age ect within a couple days.

Edited by Rippinlips

Thats an awesome pic Dan, mine were bad because I was in a rush and grabbed my ancient Sony camera that takes floppy's lol. Werent those like 1500 bucks when they first came out? Couldnt find my microscopic 50 million megapixel one. :rolleyes:

That bird definately looks in better shape than the fella I found. Wonder if its just old age. Hard to say, but he/she sure looked roughed up.

Been buggin me if its going to make it or not.

Quick,yet sad update.

Unfornately the Hawk did not make it. I spoke to a representative this morning, appreciate the call back and she said the bird was so weak it would have needed a blood transfusion but could not be done due to its condition so they had to just keep it as comfortable as possible and eventually put it down.

They are going to attempt to see what exactly it had if anything.

Sad day...feel somewhat releived I guess that it just wasnt left in the cold to die. Not much of a consolation but something at least.

Thats ruff.... I really feel for animals that end up in the care of people and then don't make it. I hate the idea that we(people) might of caused what it died from. But atlest it had a better chance... Sad day.. But again the circle of life continues.

I would be happy to help with any "found or abandoned" animals this spring sp please anyone that ends up in this situation please let me know I have a lot of contacts for this type of situation. Or call the second chance wildlife centre.

Sorry to hear he didn't make it, but you did your best to try and help and that's all anyone can do.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome, I was wondering how he made out.

I tried to help a raccoon awhile back, but he died also, so I know how your feeling.