What car to buy??

Burtess

Which car to buy?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which car for reliability, fuel economy, performance, value??

• Honda Civic
    • Ford Focus
    • Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix)

Matrix: Made in Ontario

Vibe: Made in California

Civic: Made in Ontario

Focus: Made in Mexico

Need I say more? :whistling: There are only 2 real options to choose from. But if the Focus is a cheap deal then? :blush:

matrix and vibe are both made in cali

Moving away from Dundas was a huge mistake. Most likely we're moving back at some point this year.

Hee hee, I grew up in Ancaster and when we first moved in I saw my first portable classroom...

"Look Dad, there's a trailer park in the school!"

"There's no trailer parks in Ancaster son"

"Well where do all the poor people live then?"

"Dundas"........

:whistling:

It's actually turned into a nice little part of town, though I almost miss the days of the country & western dive bars and somebody trying to burn down the hotel every other week :rofl2:

Honda's have served me well over the years.

I had a Crx with over 450 000 on it

current winter car is a 98 Civic hatchback with 350 000 on it, and its still running good. With good winter tires It has handled snowy roads with no problems.

summer car is a 02 Civic SIg with 140 000 on it.

M

Ricoboxing,

matrix and vibe are both made in cali
not according to this.

toyota newsThe Matrix is built at a Canadian Toyota assembly plant in Cambridge, Ontario, and the Vibe hails from a GM/Toyota joint-venture plant in Fremont, California.

the assembly plantTMMC started exclusive production of the brand new Matrix on January 3, 2002.

Now in its second generation, the Matrix stands in a class of its own

When I was looking a few years back, I was told by my mechanic that if I wanted something that will last me 10-15+ years, then get a Honda or Toyota. But if I only planned either on leasing for a couple of years or keeping a car for 4-5 years, then some of the other brands like Mazda would be fine. I was first looking into a Mazda 6 but in the end, purchased an Accord. No regrets whatsoever!

A Toyota Corolla should also be considered for sure...I had two and sold both around 215,000 and they ran perfect. I have a 98 4Runner with 329,000 and it runs like a top. Don't believe the media hype...Toyota is quality.

I would have put Corrola on the list as it fits the bill, but I do a lot of work up at the Honda plant in Alliston and would rather not pull in with a brand new Corrola.... ;) At least the others are not as direct competition...

Burt :)

I would have put Corrola on the list as it fits the bill, but I do a lot of work up at the Honda plant in Alliston and would rather not pull in with a brand new Corrola.... ;) At least the others are not as direct competition...

Just curious...

Does Honda have a similiar rule as GM in Oshawa (and I assume Chrysler & Ford do the same at their plants) where non-GM vehicles are basically not allowed on the premises, even employees with other cars have to park farther away as far as I know.

Years ago, we had to do some work at GM, all of our guys were driving Dodge Caravans at the time, we had to rent a couple of Chevy vans for the day to get our stuff and our guys where we needed to be.

I'd go with the Matrix/Vibe. Focus would be a good choice too. You'll pay a premium on the insurance on a Civic... plus.. it's a Civic.

I've not owned a Ford before but have the others; Honda (Acura Integra), Toyota Celica. Both made it well over 300k kms. I now drive a Jeep, approaching 400k kms. :D

Ricoboxing, not according to this.

toyota newsThe Matrix is built at a Canadian Toyota assembly plant in Cambridge, Ontario, and the Vibe hails from a GM/Toyota joint-venture plant in Fremont, California.

the assembly plantTMMC started exclusive production of the brand new Matrix on January 3, 2002.

Now in its second generation, the Matrix stands in a class of its own

who cares where they are made as long as people are informed and happy about what they chose to have? jeez

Just curious...

Does Honda have a similiar rule as GM in Oshawa (and I assume Chrysler & Ford do the same at their plants) where non-GM vehicles are basically not allowed on the premises, even employees with other cars have to park farther away as far as I know.

Years ago, we had to do some work at GM, all of our guys were driving Dodge Caravans at the time, we had to rent a couple of Chevy vans for the day to get our stuff and our guys where we needed to be.

I think this is in the past. I drive my Buick and park right up front in visitor parking at HCM and nobody cares. Just would feel uncomfortable working there while driving a direct competing vehicle.

I'd go with the Matrix/Vibe. Focus would be a good choice too. You'll pay a premium on the insurance on a Civic... plus.. it's a Civic.

I've not owned a Ford before but have the others; Honda (Acura Integra), Toyota Celica. Both made it well over 300k kms. I now drive a Jeep, approaching 400k kms. :D

Interesting, I have not checked with my insurance provider yet, will have to do this tomorrow.

who cares where they are made as long as people are informed and happy about what they chose to have? jeez

I care where they are made, thats why I put that requirement in my original post....

You'll pay a premium on the insurance on a Civic... plus.. it's a Civic.

Where on earth did you ever hear that...bought my wife's Honda Civic and our rate went down (not much)....go figure...maybe in Canada but not down here...anythings possible but I would like to see that one.

bought my wife's Honda Civic and our rate went down (not much)....

as compared to what? (previous vehicle)

insurance runs higher here on civics than other cars in its class for the reason irishfield posted.

Edited by Raf

I've owned 2 CRV's and currently an Accord. I've never paid higher premiums ever.

Beyond reliability the reason I like Honda is resale. In my experience nothing even comes close..

If you do in fact pay slightly higher premiums for a Civic you'll recoup the loss 10 times over with lower maintenance costs and the high resale.

SOME of US do care where a car is made, or where everything they buy comes from. For those who wish to help their neighbours out the best they can it does matter. Sure not everything I buy is made here, but if I have the opportunity then why not? Probably the Vibe and Matrix are equal, if pricing is the same then why not buy the Matrix or Civic and be proud of the fact that Canadians can make a decent and well respected product.

If more of us were to pay attention to these "insignificant" details perhaps there wouldn't be so many out of work.

VW & Audi are the two marques I'll never own, just for reliability reasons alone (forgetting inflated prices, questionable build quality, hell even the OIL that is mandatory has a 150% markup). I still know people who keep insisting on driving them, but darned if I know why, latest is a friends GTI that was parked for 3 weeks last summer waiting for an ECU to be flown in from Wolfsburg. If you ask him he'll still tell you his VW is "pretty reliable" with a straight face. I dunno.

My daily driver has 523,000kms on it.. It also pulls 50mpg US with ease.

Damn unreliable VW's...

For every person that has a horror story there are 5 that will praise the brand.. It's all relative. Can't go wrong with a Honda or a Toyota (even though they can't design a serviceable rear end for the Tundra, lol)

Checked out the insurance premiums today.

For the same insurance that I have now (business, over 30K annually, higher $500/1000 deductibles instead of $300/500), all are more expensive than my LeSabre (of course... <_< )

Civic DX AC and Focus SE are both $159/month (including 18 month depreciation protection $3)as they are rated in the same liability class etc.

The Vibe is listed as a wagon and is lower at $153/month.

Checked out the insurance premiums today.

For the same insurance that I have now (business, over 30K annually, higher $500/1000 deductibles instead of $300/500), all are more expensive than my LeSabre (of course... <_< )

Civic DX AC and Focus SE are both $159/month (including 18 month depreciation protection $3)as they are rated in the same liability class etc.

The Vibe is listed as a wagon and is lower at $153/month.

Have you ever consider that the Buick is worth much less if stolen...now what's the probability that it's stolen then wreck or whatever...ALSO consider what it's worth more in a trade....and what is more probable to happen...you trading the vehicle or having it stolen....YOU MAKE the call...ME, myself and I (all three of us) figure on trading that vehicle in over it getting stolen.

Best Choice is by far the Civic....but hey, it's your money do as you feel is best.

Have you ever consider that the Buick is worth much less if stolen...now what's the probability that it's stolen then wreck or whatever...ALSO consider what it's worth more in a trade....and what is more probable to happen...you trading the vehicle or having it stolen....YOU MAKE the call...ME, myself and I (all three of us) figure on trading that vehicle in over it getting stolen.

Best Choice is by far the Civic....but hey, it's your money do as you feel is best.

Actually I also had them price out a Buick Lucerne which is in the mid-$30K range (these are all around $21K tax in) in price and the rate was lower than all of them....

My point exactly...the Buick is worth less if something happened to it.

Not with the depreciation protection it is not. For 18 months if the car is written off you get a new one.

It was explained it was due to the class the car is put in, the smaller cars are more likely to be involved in accidents etc. due to the prominent group that drives them.