Any Earth Worms Out There Yet ?

dsn

I just started keeping a tank full of guppies recently. I wanted to start something

easy to mange.

2 Pairs of guppies and thats all. While setting up the tank I forget to buy all the

little things. Like gang valves. Cause I knew I'd have to get a small container going for

babies. (not a tank) I thought I'd just raise the babies and dump them back

into the main tank, simple.wink.gif

IMG_5752.JPG

Every time I forgot to get something I needed.. my bro would say hey that looks like a

nice guppy I'll pay for it every time we visited the store! He ends up paying for everything

which is great. We ended up with ghost shrimp too. I love the ghost shrimp

interesting to watch.

IMG_5766.JPG

The ghost shrimp ends up with eggs. I had to find a new place to put it

or it would be guppy food !! The guppies started producing and I had to find a new

container for them with some kinda air stone to keep them alive.

IMG_5751.JPG

I had guppies before in the past but never knew they can have 36 babies !!!unsure.gif

On top of that... my other guppy decides she wants to give birth too !! Now I have 72

babies in a small container. Feeding them Brine Shrimp.

IMG_5740.JPG

The previous ones I had to dump them into the main tank to make room for the

new born.( Shot looking up at the surface of the tank.)

IMG_5756.JPG

Things were getting out of hand. I read online that in order to keep the guppies to

produce brilliant colors you have to weed out the less colorful ones. Plus there were

some that were deformed. So......

feedme.jpg

I bought a Guppy Gobbler, and everything else that fits in her mouth!!biggrin.gif She was

small and didn't eat much when I bought her. Now she's started to get bigger and

eats 2 guppies per day. I ran out of guppies that I didn't want and shes getting hungry.

I tried feeding her flakes which she did eat. But makes a mess of it.

So I was wondering if anyone has seen any earth worms out they yet this year.

I'll figure I'll feed her that till my guppies get bigger. If theres no worms yet I'll

have to try processed ham.tongue.gif Maple Leaf?ohmy.gif

Thanks

DSNsmile.gif

Edited by DSN

already got 6 dozen in the fridge .. just make sure you are getting the worms from somewhere that doesnt use chemicals on the grass .. or your frog wont last too long

you can also get talapia from the grocery store and chop it up .. cheaper then guppies

Oh Yeah Great Idea !! I never thought about the talapia. I have seen them in the stores. Mind you I wouldn't eat them from what I heard about them, but I'll feed it to my frog.laugh.gif

Thanks "brifishrgy"

dsn

No need for earth worms to feed your guppies..... what you need is dried tubefex worms or frozen ones that you can buy at your pet store.

Used to have a couple of tanks of guppies, a 25 Gal for the grownups and a 5 Gal for the babies. A big spawning female can cough up over 50 little ones at a time and god knows I've spent endless hours trying to scoop them with net.... even over nighters for that matter LOL

At some point I had so many that I gave them away for others to start their own tanks. My mom also had a pretty good supply of them. She had 3 tanks.... a 50 Gal, 20 Gal and 15 Gal.... Heck she had so many that at some point was feeding the Gurami's and angel fish with baby guppies LOL

Guess I learned from a great mentor B)

You have a great setup btw!!!

Leechman

Picked a few worms from the garden in my backyard a week and a bit ago during the rain we had. Only could find them right next to the house - probably due to the warmth. This time of year is my favourite time to pick worms...Don't have to mow the grass first :D

Your frog is saying "feed me" from his butt :lol:

I've got a great home for your frog if you get bored of it - can't promise you'd ever see it again ;)

Leechman: I think dsn needs worms to feed his froggy :D.

DSN: Nice work, i started off with a tank similar to yours too, except that my dwarf frog was small and didn't eat fish. 2 Guppies a day, that's quite alot of food, is he growing really fast? And how did the ghost shrimp eggs turn out? I remember seeing my ghost shrimp bearing eggs in her belly as well but nothing ever happened ... I read on the internet that it's quite difficult to breed those.

I've got a great home for your frog if you get bored of it - can't promise you'd ever see it again ;)

Mike, I think it's only fair for the froggy to eat about 50 more gupppies first, so maybe in a month or so ...

DSN froggy VS MJL arowana

haha :P

As Jacques mentioned, your frog can also eat tubifex or frozen bloodworms. Frogs will eat just about anything.

Mike, I think it's only fair for the froggy to eat about 50 more gupppies first, so maybe in a month or so ...

DSN froggy VS MJL arowana

haha :P

I hope it will last longer than the 7 inch pleco I thought was big enough. His name was Jaws :(

As Jacques mentioned, your frog can also eat tubifex or frozen bloodworms. Frogs will eat just about anything.

I hope it will last longer than the 7 inch pleco I thought was big enough. His name was Jaws :(

I have been feeding the frog blood worms too but he keeps going and going and going. It must be the Energizer batteries he has hooked up to his mouth.laugh.gif

DSN

Leechman: I think dsn needs worms to feed his froggy :D.

DSN: Nice work, i started off with a tank similar to yours too, except that my dwarf frog was small and didn't eat fish. 2 Guppies a day, that's quite alot of food, is he growing really fast? And how did the ghost shrimp eggs turn out? I remember seeing my ghost shrimp bearing eggs in her belly as well but nothing ever happened ... I read on the internet that it's quite difficult to breed those.

I read up on Dwarf frogs before I thought about getting the African Clawed Frog.

The African Clawed frog does grow faster. I had dwarf frog before but didn't know what it ate cause it has such a small mouth.

As for the ghost shrimp..

15717_106908776002841_100000511571615_176350_8057505_n.jpg

I have a bit of success raising a few. I got 11 babies but then slowly they started to die off cause I didn't know

what to feed it cause it was so tiny. Even brine shrimp was too hard for them to eat. Cause they were always

"Hanging Around" upside down from the surface !! And the brine shrimp would be on the bottom.

One thing I noticed about them was that they will swim close to a light source. So I took a flash light and shined

it from the bottom of the tank up wards. And they would be moving downwards towards the light.

I would have had more shrimp.. if I was prepared when the eggs were ready to be hatched but I wasn't

until half the shrimps were eaten by the baby guppies. I thought they would be safe but I was wrong.

So from 11 baby shrimp I'm now down to 6 and they are bigger now than in this picture. And they are eating brine shrimp. I can start feeding them flakes soon.

I read that these shrimp will only breed when they are in a large group. I bought 5 since they were only 0.49 cents each !! Now I know what to feed them when they hatch. I first tried egg yoke cause that was the smallest thing

I thought I can feed them. It works for tiny fish cause I have done it before. But the water quality really drops

that's how I lost some of the baby shrimps. Now I know to feed them the food that brine shrimp feed on. Thats fine powdered algae !! Right next to the brine shrimp section in the warehouse.

dsn

No need for earth worms to feed your guppies..... what you need is dried tubefex worms or frozen ones that you can buy at your pet store.

Used to have a couple of tanks of guppies, a 25 Gal for the grownups and a 5 Gal for the babies. A big spawning female can cough up over 50 little ones at a time and god knows I've spent endless hours trying to scoop them with net.... even over nighters for that matter LOL

At some point I had so many that I gave them away for others to start their own tanks. My mom also had a pretty good supply of them. She had 3 tanks.... a 50 Gal, 20 Gal and 15 Gal.... Heck she had so many that at some point was feeding the Gurami's and angel fish with baby guppies LOL

Guess I learned from a great mentor B)

You have a great setup btw!!!

Leechman

No No no... the earth worms are not for my guppies. They are for my frog.

Wow, I can't imagine a 50 gal tank with guppies, now that's out of control !!But it must be a great setup though. A real community tank with live plants I guess eh?

Always the best so peaceful.

dsn

I use to own Piranha's have a 120Gallon tank. full of 8. Then sold them all for one Giant Rhom. When it died cause the power was out for 4 days i gave up the hobby.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Goatnce#p/u/11/ejGd1l9ZvvY

Had them feeding off pellets aswell! You can see the mixed shoal aswell. Redbellies and Caribes.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but if anyone has some very large Goldfish they would like to get rid of, please let me know. I don't really want Koi, just plain ol' Comet pond fish.

Thanks

Don't mean to.. When you type "But" you did it anyways. But..

Thats ok , It's practically over.

dsn

My kids had a couple of those frogs when they were raising tropical fish. Interesting when small but they have a voracious appetite and as they get bigger (which is pretty quickly) they can tear up a tank in a heartbeat. Other than the fact they are eating machines which is neet to watch, I can't see any value in having them and they are hard to get rid of when you get tired of them destroying your tank setup.

My kids had a couple of those frogs when they were raising tropical fish. Interesting when small but they have a voracious appetite and as they get bigger (which is pretty quickly) they can tear up a tank in a heartbeat. Other than the fact they are eating machines which is neet to watch, I can't see any value in having them and they are hard to get rid of when you get tired of them destroying your tank setup.

Oh yeah hungry eating machines !! Non Stop. Plus I think they are funny to laugh at with the face they have.

I read that because they are such voracious eaters they are banned from being kept as pets in some states !!

Just in case someone decides to release them into a pond or lake. (God Forbid !!)

They can destroy everything because all they do is feed their bellies.

I plan on keeping this guy for long time. Since I have tank of guppies growing it's my guppy gobbler. And with summer coming we have a lot a flies in this building. Should be fun to watch buzzing on the surface of the water.

dsn

I had massive abortion this morning with one of the female guppies.

IMG_5774.JPG

IMG_5774.JPG

The female guppy for some reason couldn't delivery the babies and they were all dead in her belly.

With a little help they came out. But from the looks of it they came out few days too late.sad.gif

Looks like frog food to me.

dsn