Lake Nipissing Water Level

Jonny

I sent Eddy an email to see what conditions are like. I will update you. The PWGC site says the Lwr French is nearly 100cms (1 metre) below normal at Dry Pine. Open the locks!!!!

You mean open the Chaudiere (Nipissing) dam? Hell, most of Nipissing would be mud flats! (exaggeration)

I just bought a paddle boat from a neighbour a few cottages down, and to get it from his place to mine I dragged it in a few inches of water where normally there's about 2 to 2 1/2 feet at this time of year. It was constantly getting hung up on the bottom. Then my wife and I had to lift it for the last 20 feet to get it onto my boat ramp.

Nipissing has given all it can to the French.

I understand that Jocko.. gotta balance the needs of both the lake and river.

edit:

Nipissing has given all it can to the French.

just remember nip, was a mudhole before the dams (7' lower on avg). one could say the reverse is true. ;)

Have you had any meaningful rain in the last week?

Edited by Raf

I understand that Jocko.. gotta balance the needs of both the lake and river.

edit: just remember nip was a mudhole before the dams. ;)

Have you had any meaningful rain in the last week?

Well, I was fishing my current area of the lake in the 50's as a little kid and the water level was the same as the normal water levels for this area nowadays. I don't know if the 'mudhole' thought would hold water (joke), as I think the gov't docks in North Bay pre-date that by many decades. I think the lake was better off when the Chaudiere was just a spill dam instead of a water-control dam. Or maybe even when there was no dam at all, but that's just a guess.

I wonder if the Chief Commanda II has enough water to operate from the gov't dock this year?

We had a heavy snowfall a few days ago, and some rain here and there (it's raining now), but we'd need some real downpours, and consistent ones, over the entire watershed, to make a difference.

Guest gbfisher

Water levels have been an issue for years now. They go down and 'usually' go back up.

What are ya gonna do? :dunno: Build a floating dock?......with extentions of course. :good:

coming up in two weeks and targeting Walleye ... usually fish NW Lake Nip, from Cache Bay / Veuve River area, Pickerel Rock, over to Hardwoods. So what would be the depth right now in those areas? also wondering what the water temp is at this time. Last few years it has been very cold, and although we marked lots of fish, not a lot of action was had. Concerned obviously about rocks in that entire area that have not been in play before but might be now??

any comments are appreciated.

I am heading up next friday and I usually stay at my moms cottage in Northwest Bay , I usually launch the boat by the Bridge in the Town of lavigne. Does anyone have any info on this area ?

Or even If i'll be able to launch the boat

Just received a reply to an email I sent to Memquisit Lodge; we staying there again this August and they said that yes; the level in their area is also about three feet lower then “normal”.

Over the last 5 or 6 years of fishing the west arm & west bay; I was starting to feel comfortable of where and what was safe water. I guess I’ll be going back to sitting on the edge of the seat and starring at the graph; trying not to introduce the skag of the motor to anymore chunks of Canadian Shield.

That’s the only thing I hate about the power trim on this Honda motor; the hydraulics won’t allow the motor to kick up, if you tag something.

With my old Suzuki manual trim; I could leave the motor unlocked and if we did hit a rock, it would just lift and skid; it did scare the crap out of you, if you forgot and stuck the motor in reverse. LOL

Dan.

That’s the only thing I hate about the power trim on this Honda motor; the hydraulics won’t allow the motor to kick up, if you tag something.

With my old Suzuki manual trim; I could leave the motor unlocked and if we did hit a rock, it would just lift and skid; it did scare the crap out of you, if you forgot and stuck the motor in reverse. LOL

Dan.

Actually the hydraulics will release the motor when something is struck and the motor will come right up and out of the water....found this out twice...once years ago in late October fishing Chautauqua Lake I hit a dock that was floating out in the middle of the lake. Boat flew right over it as we didn't see it because it was floating level with the surface..NO damage at all to the boat or motor as the motor hit it and flew right out of the water...I didn't think it would do that either...NOW here's the one that DID HURT and RIGHT AT Memquist Lodge you speak of...fishing 3 days out towards the lake and following and watching for the milk jugs someone was kind enough to mark a shallow reef...no problem until day four when I tried to go through that same area from a different angle and I was steering clear of the milk jugs while looking at the distance tree line where I wanted to start my drift...well going about 25 mph I hit solid rock and again the motor flew up and out of the water, only this time I knew I was in trouble...I was afraid to power lift the motor up thinking I knocked off the whole lower unit...powered it up and I did MAJOR damage to the prop and minor damage to the skeg but I had to limp back to the lodge and called it a day...the next day we were leaving so it wasn't too bad fishing wise...that is the first time I ever did any damage to any of my props or motors and I have had this boat 25 years now....$100 for a new prop and I was good to go.

NOW I FOUND THE WATER YOU GUYS ARE MISSING IN THE BIG NIP..... I just returned from Kinzua Reservoir and it's 10 feet above normal...not flood stage but VERY HIGH.

Bob

Dan, were at Memquisit August 14 - 21, how bout you ??

We’ll be there the first week of August; Cabin 1, out on the large rock facing Squaw Island channel. We’ll miss each other by a week or so; but I’ll try and put an X on the water, at the new Skag eating rocks for you. LOL

Billy Bob.

No such a release or whatever you want to call it on this 04 Honda 40 tiller. If there is, it’s not listed in the manual (shop manual) and mine aint working; $500.00 for a new prop and having the skag welded.

It looked like the cookie monster took a bite out of it.

Dan.

but I’ll try and put an X on the water, at the new Skag eating rocks for you. LOL

Thanks Dan, me & my motor will appreciate those X's, there's enuff hidden surprises on the West Arm without the water being down a couple feet.

Perhaps I'll leave my nice shiny SS prop at home and bring the rubber one instead :lol:

Perhaps I'll leave my nice shiny SS prop at home

SS prop; man that would make me cry, hurting one of those.

With the way you seem to be organized; you likely have a spare aluminum prop on board; maybe worth putting it on for this August’s trip?

Dan.

Billy Bob.

No such a release or whatever you want to call it on this 04 Honda 40 tiller. If there is, it’s not listed in the manual (shop manual) and mine aint working; $500.00 for a new prop and having the skag welded.

It looked like the cookie monster took a bite out of it.

Dan.

OH WOW, So sorry to hear that...mine had NO MENTION whatsoever in the manual about it either...just thought ALL Power trim/Tilt units would act similar. Maybe we can get some others here to chime in about this....*****Has anyone else experience your POWER TRIM/TILT outboard kicking up when you hit something.... I have twice with my 1985 50hp Johnson VRO outboard.

Bob

I used to fish the Lavigne/West Arm area quite a bit. The lower water level should not prevent you from getting out around the Hardwood Islands (i.e. Little Oak Island) and deeper water. I would recommend a hydrographic map because even in the best of times you have to watch out for shoals in some places.

In my opinion, as long as you can launch your boat and get out into roughly the center of the channel, I don't think you'll have any trouble. I've used that boat launch, but never in water this low, so I don't know about that, sorry.

I am heading up next friday and I usually stay at my moms cottage in Northwest Bay , I usually launch the boat by the Bridge in the Town of lavigne. Does anyone have any info on this area ?

Or even If i'll be able to launch the boat

Jocko, Randy post this link: http://www.memquisit...ynipissing.html a few pages back which suggests that the dams increased the water level on Nip by an avg of 7' in the first decade of the 1900s.

Keepn my fingers crossed for more rain for yous.

Thanks for the crossed fingers, but personally the opening weekend is wiped out for me. No water to launch my boat.

I'll check that link. Seems hard to believe, but I suppose it could be. Thing is, it seems to me that even in the 50's there should have been areas where flooded timber was still showing, and I can't recall that being obvious.

coming up in two weeks and targeting Walleye ... usually fish NW Lake Nip, from Cache Bay / Veuve River area, Pickerel Rock, over to Hardwoods. So what would be the depth right now in those areas? also wondering what the water temp is at this time. Last few years it has been very cold, and although we marked lots of fish, not a lot of action was had. Concerned obviously about rocks in that entire area that have not been in play before but might be now??

any comments are appreciated.

So i went out today with my uncle on his boat for a cruise to try out his boat,the water was down 2 1/2'-3' we went to lavigne and then up to oak island and found some stuff we did not know about, The rocks were really out and had to look were we were we went lots of rocks. But on the plus side i found the rock that i have looked for,for the last 3 years it is under water and we miss it lots of walley there so i put a marker on it lol encase the water goes up lol so if you go out be careful and be safe. I will be heading out on Sunday if any are heading out let me know, buddy system can be a good thing lol

pikeguy ... thanks for the reply. We will be very careful out around Oak Island. I believe there will now be rocks in play at the cut beside the "yellow cottage" ... many years ago, I got close and personal with one in the center of that channel.

I believe the channel further up is clear of rocks if you stay in the middle, even with the lake 3ft down? If anyone knows differently, your comments will be appreciated.

just looking at the week ahead weather wise, and looks like Mother Nature is not going to be helping the cause to add water to Lake Nip, anytime soon.

So there is no way most private and Camp operation docks on the North West shores will be useable for the Walleye operner. gonna be an interesting spring fishing season for sure. I spoke to the owner of the camp my buddies and I are going to in less than two weeks, and he is NOT very happy at the moment. Very concerned would be an understatement.

North Bay forecast week of May 16th.jpg

for some stupid reason I thought the Walleye opener on Nipissing was NEXT Saturday at 12:01am, in other words the Long Weekend. Duh! I guess we will be coming up for Week 3, and not Week 2 like we usually do. Oh well, maybe there will be some rain between now and May 29th when we travel up to our Camp.

I hope the water (what there is of it) doesn't heat up too fast and thereby accelerate the exodus of Walleye out of shallows and into the deeper parts of the Lake. Anyone know the Lake Temp right now?

I see from the online Nugget today, there is a pic that shows in the background just how low the water is; however, it also looks like there was enough to get the Chief Commanda to its docking. http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2581239

Hoping to see some pictures and reports on this forum covering the weekend and days ahead? Can't wait to go Fishing!

Lower French is extremely low. If your'e staying at Cranes Lochaven, you should give them a call to get a report.

Just got an e-mail from Crane's this morning:

Not to worry, there is plenty of water.

I really can't comment on the fishing as we do not open until Friday and have not had time to get any lines in the water. I will tell you that Ed and Eric have seen plenty of pike and there are some bass spawning around the boat house.

Hopefully, that's a good sign. I'll find out in a couple of days.

Edited by Rob