what are good carp baits?

n8tivebigguy

I've tried canned corn (whole kernels), boiling and mixing my own cows corn, corn cut strait from the cob, boilies and worms... for me worms are a last choice, not because they don't work, but because gobies and panfish usually pick it of your hook right away.... My first, and only choice is good old canned corn. It's cheap, readily available, I use half the can as chum, and I haven't found a carp that isn't willing to eat it.

just my opinion!

Cheers,

Ryan

Green giant peaches and cream have the best kernels for hook bait, the dollar store and no name is good for chum. Hominy (sp) is also awesome but sometimes hard to find. Stick with dempsters canadian white bread it's like bagette for carp :D

Just watch out for the damn turtles :blink:

P7060922.jpg

Believe it or not marshmellows were a good floating bait if you like to fish the surface bite :whistling:

P7060919.jpg

good luck!

i like to make my own dough. its very simple. i just use 1 part corn meal and 1 part flour. add some garlic salt and also kool aid powder. combine it all in a bowl and add water. unfortunately i never measure/weigh anything out so i cant give you exact amounts. start off with a little water and then add more as needed. it should end up being dryish on the outside. if done right it is a really sticky dough and should stay on your hook for multiple casts.

I normally use canned corn. Some brands will out perform others. Some are packed with just water, while other are soaked with its own juices. I use Green Giant. Some of the other brands the water or what they are canned with is white juice which is really water. The white juice is actually from the corn itself. The juices is what will attract a carp from a good distance off to your hooked bait.

But I have had problems with gobies attacking my kernels in heavily infested areas. You can actually see the bite marks or parts of the corn bitten off. When this happends I chum with canned corn and and with bollies. And I then rig up a bollie. Cause even though a bollie does have scent... its not strong as concentrated sweet corn juice which travels in the water further.

Good Luck

DSN ;)

I tried my hand last year at Carp fishing for the first time in ages, I had some luck using frozen corn. No Frills no name. If I remember correctly, and I seldom do, that the frozen corn niblets float, making them not so desirable, but if the bag thaws out I think they sink. The frozen corn is cheaper than canned so you can throw alot of it around as chum. I'd squeeze 2 to 4 kernels on a Owner circle hook, maybe 2/0 or 3/0, and a half ounce to an ounce egg sinker on the line and was ready to go.

These guys have given you some great baits to use for carp and I hope their answers help you out. The effectiveness of any of these baits is greatly enhanced if you fish them using the hair rig. Here is a link to a page that shows how to tie it. It is simple once you tie a couple. http://www.pleasurefishing.com/html/hairrigs.htm

Good luck. If you get any Grand River carp please post them.