Reel Question

sandmann

All depends on the target species for me. I have a few smaller reels I typically use for bass that dont have a lot of line on em. I'm into my 3-4 season with the same spool of braid with no issue to speak of.

braid is diff than mono, last a lot longer....mono def replace start of every season, if you fish a lot then replace when needed throughout the season

I generally replace mine when the spool gets low enough to affect casting distance...also a matter of personal opinion, myself I like to keep spooled up right to the lip

All depends on the target species for me. I have a few smaller reels I typically use for bass that dont have a lot of line on em. I'm into my 3-4 season with the same spool of braid with no issue to speak of.

I will second that. Also type of line, are we talking mono, braid, etc...

I try to not let my line get very low at all on certain reels where I want casting distance. For instance I use a 4000 series Shimano for chucking hardware on Lake Huron piers...you want a full spool to get that distance as the fish start moving out later in the morning.

For regular mono line I really like fresh line. I change up every couple of trips

I have most of my spinning reels with about 1/2 the spool filled with backing. I like the red or yellow Raven so it's very visible. Then I fill the rest of the spool with my line weight and type needed. A simple blood knot joins the main line to my backing. I usually get up around 3 spinning reel refills out of a single spool of line so changing up is actaully more affordable for me

On reels were I might actually get into the backing once in a while I fill from a bare spool but still change at least every season

Like Mepps said some of my braid outfits are getting to be 3+ years now. I remember last year finally pulling off some 50lb Fenwick Iron Thread. Who knows how old that stuff was

I change my line out when it gets down to 3/4 of the reels spool. That's braid or mono, and either is changed atleast once a year...line is one of the cheapest expenses an angler has, AND it's the ONLY thing keeping your next trophy fish on...why skimp?

Also get int he habit of clipping 1-3 yards of line off before every day of fishing or after catching a big toothy critter. Nothing is worse than losing a fish cuz you were too lazy to tie one measly knot!

B)

I change my line out when it gets down to 3/4 of the reels spool. That's braid or mono, and either is changed atleast once a year...line is one of the cheapest expenses an angler has, AND it's the ONLY thing keeping your next trophy fish on...why skimp?

Also get int he habit of clipping 1-3 yards of line off before every day of fishing or after catching a big toothy critter. Nothing is worse than losing a fish cuz you were too lazy to tie one measly knot!

B)

Extremely good advice...especially the clipping of 1-3 yards before fishing...when steelheading I will clip close to a yard after every fish above 2-3 lbs. They aren't exactly toothy critters, but, sometimes roll in the line (like a laker) especially in colder water. Better safe than sorry.

Line and hooks are soooo important and both are relatively inexpensive in the scheme of things. :D:D

Extremely good advice...especially the clipping of 1-3 yards before fishing...when steelheading I will clip close to a yard after every fish above 2-3 lbs. They aren't exactly toothy critters, but, sometimes roll in the line (like a laker) especially in colder water. Better safe than sorry.

Line and hooks are soooo important and both are relatively inexpensive in the scheme of things. :D:D

You got that right Frank. I never understood guys who fish out of a 14,000$ boat or who fish with 450$ rod/reel combos being so cheap as to not keep a relatively full spool of line that costs 9-20$ or a hook that costs cents...

People...the line and hook...IS THE ONLY THING KEEPING THE FISH ON!!! :lol: