To my American Friends!

irishfield

I attended a CBAF meeting lastnight where I had the pleasure of learning some dropshot methods from Derek Strub...He actually touched base on this subject as well...seems it is very real :o He mentioned California and how the bill is set to go to council by the end of this month...Now we all know trying to take a rod out of our hands is like trying to get your shitzu back from the mouth of a coyote without mace...NOT GONNA HAPPEN...but this is gonna affect all...

Truly a sad day when sport fisherman/woman are lumped in with commercial fisheries...how has it come to this??

I wonder what the expect people to eat after fishing including comercial has benn banned.They are working on stopping us from eating cows and chickens and pigs as well. When i attended university in guelph there was a large portion of ecowarrior type students amount the population. The best part was 99% of them were not science students. I ended many a debate by saying that after i eat all of the domestic animals, wild game and fish, i will look to the vegetarians and vegans next. Grain fed right. That always worked in shutting them up.

I agree that farming practices and commercial fishing practices aren't perfect, but the answer isn't just to shut it all down overnight. These people all live pretty much the same way us hunters and anglers do anyway, total bleeding heart bull. We will have to be smart about and pick our battles wisely though.

By the way spearing for muskies is currently being lobbied for and going through congress right now for the state of minnesota. That scares me emensly, as activists will lump in all musky fishing with this neaderthal practice. At the same time, it also gives me hope that congress isn't even seriously considering banning recreational angling if they are considering this.

Don't wory my freinds.....We (Canadians) will be in the same predicament, it's all a matter of time IMHO.....It seems as if they just don't want us out there.....But, thats just how I feel about it, I could be wrong, I HOPE SO!

Check out this rebuttal to the original article.

http://www.examiner.com/x-37128-Charlotte-...-to-ban-fishing

Certainly makes you think about it from a different viewpoint. I think pointing the finger of blame at Obama or whomever is the popular thing to do, because of course it has to be somebody else's fault, but in the long run, I totally agree with the Examiner's writer that commercials have a long history of being terrible stewards of the resource and if we allow ourselves to get lumped in with them, then we deserve what we get.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Certainly makes you think about it from a different viewpoint. I think pointing the finger of blame at Obama or whomever is the popular thing to do, because of course it has to be somebody else's fault, but in the long run, I totally agree with the Examiner's writer that commercials have a long history of being terrible stewards of the resource and if we allow ourselves to get lumped in with them, then we deserve what we get.

as i said, much of this is fear mongering with what i feel is political motivations outside of fishing.

Thanks for posting this...it sheds some intelligent light on the whole issue!!!