Ordering Fishing stuff from the USA into Canada

rock34

I would like to buy a new pair of waders and the pair I am looking at for example is $449 here in Canada before tax, however On-line from the USA they are on sale for $315 +$35 shipping. Sa basically there is $100 difference in the sticker price.

Now I dont understand how the duty works when importing something such as this. Would the cost and hastle (if any) actually save me that $100 or will Duty pretty much eat that margin up?

If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Edited by Rock

You can use this website to get an estimate of the total. http://www.thefinalcost.com/

I suggest shipping with USPS ONLY (with tracking # for expensive items) or you will be bent over and rogered by UPS/FEDX and the amount they charge for brokerage.

Items under $20-$25 don't think it matters who you ship with because there maybe not brokerage or very little.

Still waiting for my final bills from Candapost which can take up to 6 months to come on my latest purchases. Some times in the past I have purchased from the states and Candapost never charged me anything lol :D on $60 items.

UPS usually you pay the brokerage when they deliver it to you, and you will have this expression on your face when he hands you the bill --> :huh:

You really have to weigh the pros and cons. Is the item made in the USA? What about warranty is it still valid (eg fishing reel)? Whats the return policy and will it cost you more than if you bought it locally and need to exchange the size.

Ideally if you have a family member or friend who lives in the USA and can ship it to you that would be the best option imo.

Edited by Syn

You can use this website to get an estimate of the total. http://www.thefinalcost.com/

I suggest shipping with USPS ONLY (with tracking # for expensive items) or you will be bent over and rogered by UPS/FEDX and the amount they charge for brokerage.

Still waiting for my final bills from Candapost which can take up to 6 months to come on my latest purchases. Some times in the past I have purchased from the states and Candapost never charged me anything lol :D on $60 items.

UPS usually you pay the brokerage when they deliver it to you, and you will have this expression on your face when he hands you the bill --> :huh:

You really have to weigh the pros and cons. Is the item made in the USA? What about warranty is it still valid (eg fishing reel)? Whats the return policy and will it cost you more than if you bought it locally and need to exchange the size.

Ideally if you have a family member or friend who lives in the USA and can ship it to you that would be the best option imo.

Cool, that site is exactly the type of thing that I was looking for. Any idea how accurate it has been for your shipments?

Cool, that site is exactly the type of thing that I was looking for. Any idea how accurate it has been for your shipments?

Hit and miss. Sometimes overestimated by $30 on orders of $180. No idea why. ALso note the exchange rate is not up to date. Wish we were still at $1.03, but were creeping back up there latest purchases at $0.94..

Thats another important point too. Last night my USA purchase rate 0.943 pal pal/bank. online xchange rates 1.00 CAD=0.970356 USD. Final cost website 1.0286.

On $300 that will be about $26 difference between highest and lowest exchange rates.

Edited by Syn

Hit and miss. Sometimes overestimated by $30 on orders of $180. No idea why. ALso note the exchange rate is not up to date. Wish we were still at $1.03, but were creeping back up there latest purchases at $0.94..

Thats another important point too. Last night my USA purchase rate 0.943 pal pal/bank. online xchange rates 1.00 CAD=0.970356 USD. Final cost website 1.0286.

On $300 that will be about $26 difference between highest and lowest exchange rates.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

BTW, your picture is awesome of the Mahi Mahi beaing released. Very cool.

For a $100 savings I probably wouldn't bother unless the seller will value the package at $40US or less, you'll get nailed with tax and duty. God forbid he uses UPS or FedEx to ship, then get ready to really bend over.

It's best that you ask the vendor yourself.

My only experience is with tacklewarehouse, and they give you the UPS next day shipping for $15 with no brokerage fees, and taxes at your door is close to 15%(I'm guessing 13%?).

Some vendors seem to give you a good deal for shipping, while others will give another hole in your :asshat:

Edited by EC1

My jacket from Cabela's was 17% duty. It may vary depending on the product, but I always bank on 17%.

If it's an independent retailer, you may be able to get them to write "gift" on the green customs tag. This way they don't charge duty. I've had retailers do this before.

And I second using USPS over UPS. The UPS brokerage fees they charge for clearing customs are significant.

All I can say is NEVER have a item shipped by UPS they will charge you out the butt. Always as for USPS that way they dont rip you off for there broker fees. Yes Broker fees are just that you get Broker and broker and they make a killing no joke there.

Put it this way, you order from Cabela's, they will tell you exactly how much the total bill will be, shipping, duty, GST/PST, the whole enchilada. When dealing with other on line outfits from the US and you buy items that were originally imported into the US, then you will pay extra duty depending on the classification. The expect to get raped by FedEx,UPS,or any other big name shipper. Like it was said above, the only reasonable shipper is US Postal Service, cheap and efficient.

never ever, ever never have them ship it UPS

it seems they in a big wheel with dollar amounts on it , to see that they will charge for broker fees that day...the buggers doubled the price with the broker fees , so never ever..oh I already did that ...LOL

Unless things have changed recently and I doubt it there is a huge tarriff on waders somewhere in the area of 80%. This was set by the government so that it would not destroy the shoe companies in Canada. I would check on it sometimes you can get lucky and get a pair snuck through customs but most will pay dearly. I know dealers are not allowed to bring them into Canada and believe me when I was in the business I tried desperately as our prices here were way too high and the the ones in Bass Pro and Cabelas in the US were alot cheaper and they were quite nice. I struck out but you never know when you will get lucky on this one. Best of luck.

Regards,

Sam

Related question:

I want to order a few animal products from the States (bunnybou rabbit strips), but I read on an American fly fishing supply website:

"Orders shipped outside the U.S. containing animal products such as feathers, hairs, furs, skins, etc. will automatically incur a $49.00 health certificate fee. All foreign governments require this certificate for animal products entering their countries."

Anyone order any flyfishing stuff (animal products) from the US and charged a health certificate fee?

tia