Where to go

sneak_e_pete

Hi there, I am hoping I can get some recommendations. I have a 2 1/2 year old son and I am looking at taking him away this summer for 2 days, just him and I. He will be 3 this July. We have never done this before, so I am looking for some recommendations. I want the first time to be memorable....I want to get him hooked (no pun intended). Here is what I am looking for and I am hoping that someone can help.

- Within 2 hours of Toronto....thinking Rice Lake, etc.

- Housekeeping cabin that won't break the bank

-Family place that has a playground, beach, etc. (I know he won't want to be in the boat all day)

-Non-stop panfish action

THanks in advance.

You might want to consider Lake Dalrymple resort, they have all of what you're looking for and boat rentals (you never said if you needed/had one). Great dink perch & sunfish right off their docks and all round good fishing on the whole lake. Not sure what the rates are like but if you google it I believe they either have their own site or are attached to the local municipality.

Michael

You might want to consider Lake Dalrymple resort, they have all of what you're looking for and boat rentals (you never said if you needed/had one). Great dink perch & sunfish right off their docks and all round good fishing on the whole lake. Not sure what the rates are like but if you google it I believe they either have their own site or are attached to the local municipality.

Michael

There is a resort there?My cousin told me it was a private lake and no public access.Her husbands family has a cottage there for years and knows everyone!Ive even drove around to find a safe area to park and no luck.Whats the name of the resort?, I would love to take my 2 girls there.

Hi there, I am hoping I can get some recommendations. I have a 2 1/2 year old son and I am looking at taking him away this summer for 2 days, just him and I. He will be 3 this July. We have never done this before, so I am looking for some recommendations. I want the first time to be memorable....I want to get him hooked (no pun intended). Here is what I am looking for and I am hoping that someone can help.

- Within 2 hours of Toronto....thinking Rice Lake, etc.

- Housekeeping cabin that won't break the bank

-Family place that has a playground, beach, etc. (I know he won't want to be in the boat all day)

-Non-stop panfish action

THanks in advance.

Have you thought about bobcaygen.You can fish off the dam and rent a cabin close to town.There is plenty to keep the kids occupied.As long as if you enough icecream money. :P

Its going to be tough to get HK for 2 nights only in the summer. Rice lake is probably a great bet. My kids have gone nuts with just the smallest of pan fish. Forget size. Bring a bucket and let him chase it in there too.

Seprent mounds on Rice has some econo huts - kind of a bare bones cabin that may work ya.

Have fun

There is a resort there?My cousin told me it was a private lake and no public access.Her husbands family has a cottage there for years and knows everyone!Ive even drove around to find a safe area to park and no luck.Whats the name of the resort?, I would love to take my 2 girls there.

Try not to laugh too hard - It's called Lake Dalrymple Resort. It's on the northernmost of the two lakes (called lower cause it drains to the north). There are a couple public access points - Osprey lane for limited boat launching (shallow) and the community centre/beach just up from the resort. For campers there's Meadows End & Layzee Acres. I think Meadow's has a couple cabins too now that we're on to that. You may have been on the southern lake called Upper Lake Dalrymple, don't think there's any access there at all.

Michael

Near the town of Roseneath, on Rice Lake is a cottage place called "Springbank Camp". They have a little two man cottage over top of the boat house that would be perfect for you and your boy.

Great walleye everywhere and bass fishing right off the dock (hell, right off the cottage porch if you like).

PM me if you need contact info, but you won't be sorry.

Jim

P1000380.jpg

P1010402.jpg

Michael

Great place to go to. In summer, near impossible to get a 2 day booking. Lots of good fishing off the dock.

Just a thought Pete. He's three.. he won't care where it is. He won't remember it later in life anyhow. It's the joy of getting out with your son for a father/son trip. You can drive around the block 6 times and stay in a motel. Keep it simple and ENJOY!!!

Edited by irishfield

Just a thought Pete. He's three.. he won't care were it is. He won't remember it later in life anyhow. It's the joy of getting out with your son for a father/son trip. You can drive around the block 6 times and stay in a motel. Keep it simple and ENJOY!!!

Ya, you can fish in the water feature.

Hey Wayno, has that second Cub (the white one behind the red one) always been in your signature thingy? I just noticed it now after looking at it probably a thousand times.

Unreal eh?

Jim

Try not to laugh too hard - It's called Lake Dalrymple Resort. It's on the northernmost of the two lakes (called lower cause it drains to the north). There are a couple public access points - Osprey lane for limited boat launching (shallow) and the community centre/beach just up from the resort. For campers there's Meadows End & Layzee Acres. I think Meadow's has a couple cabins too now that we're on to that. You may have been on the southern lake called Upper Lake Dalrymple, don't think there's any access there at all.

Michael

Ive seen people access at the bridge between both, but parking was too limited for me to park.Ive been by the comm center, I didnt know I could access there.As for ramps,I have a canoe, but I prefer to bring my 20 bowrider with camper top, and anchor off shore for a camp out with my girls.

I am certain there are others who would agree with me on this one. Golden Beach Resort on Rice Lake. Gots to be one of the best child oriented resorts on Rice Lake. Humongous Play ground, swimming pool, perch and gills right off the dock, as is everywhere on the lake. Another added bonus, carp fishing grounds, they actually feed them and in turn helps control the weed population in the area.

Golden Beach Resort

Being a local, we have stayed here for holidays when the kids were younger.

Thanks for all the feedback, I truly appreciate it. I am sure that many members on the board with young ones can relate to me on this....I have waited for this opportunity for a long time. Ever since he was born (and I have another boy that will be a year old in another month) I have dreamed about getting him his first rod and taking him fishing. He now watches some WFN with me and I want to make it truly fun for him so that he enjoys it....in his own way. I am sure that others will agree with me, but when I think about taking my boy fishing for the first time, it is an emotional thing. I can't wait and will definitely post pics after.

Better yet Pete,

I took my 2 daughters to a local stocked pond when they were 4 and 6 yrs old. They have been fishing for a couple of yrs by this time. Well, I told them we were going to a "Father - Daughter" Fishing tournament. They were estatic to say the least.

My oldest daughter caught the largest bass and my youngest daughter caught the most. They were presented with fishing trophies, the whole 9 yrds.... The best part of it: We were the only ones in this "tournament". I went to a local trophy shop and got them to make up 2 trophies. The podium I used were 2 milk crates outa the back of the truck. The look on their faces= PRICELESS!

You wanna know how proud I was??? I did this shortly after Bass season opened, (June). Kids went back to school in Sept and my youngest daughter wanted to take her trophy to school for show and tell... Ya I was very proud and glad I did it.

Hope you get to share the same experience.

Cheers, Ron...

Not sure where your located? But there are plenty of area from the hammer to guelph and lake eerie to keep the youngins happy.Ive to young ones of my own.I make stops at waterford with them and when it gets slow, I hit triple tee trout farm to get them going again.When Idid that the last time, the girls didnt want to leave and It cost me a bundle in trout.But they where happy, and so was the wife.The only thing that peed the wife off is the hours and hours of ,talking about fishing.I couldnt of been any happier,the wife was board of it.But not the kids. :D

Better yet Pete,

I took my 2 daughters to a local stocked pond when they were 4 and 6 yrs old. They have been fishing for a couple of yrs by this time. Well, I told them we were going to a "Father - Daughter" Fishing tournament. They were estatic to say the least.

My oldest daughter caught the largest bass and my youngest daughter caught the most. They were presented with fishing trophies, the whole 9 yrds.... The best part of it: We were the only ones in this "tournament". I went to a local trophy shop and got them to make up 2 trophies. The podium I used were 2 milk crates outa the back of the truck. The look on their faces= PRICELESS!

You wanna know how proud I was??? I did this shortly after Bass season opened, (June). Kids went back to school in Sept and my youngest daughter wanted to take her trophy to school for show and tell... Ya I was very proud and glad I did it.

Hope you get to share the same experience.

Cheers, Ron...

What a great feeling indeed.I took my oldest to an icefishing tourney close to home a couple of years ago.She was 3rd in the children division at binbrook.She was so happy to receive some and didnt know why,untill I told her.Well to top it off she was front row center in the local paper and at fishing world in the hammer.They displayed the photo over the cash, and there was my oldest,front row center.I couldnt be any happier or prouder.

I'd also suggest Rice Lake. It has amazing fishing for pan fish and great bass/walleye for dad! I've been up there numerous times. It's an easy drive, within 2 hours and you still get that secluded northern Ontario experience. While all the Kawartha lakes are great for fishing, I found Rice Lake to have the best family oriented accommodations so far. Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of beaches on the lake since it's so weedy and muddy, but most places will have a pool (or two). However, many do have a small beach area with sand and a three year old won't really care. I'd highly recommend that your son always has a PFD on whenever near the water (probably don't need to say this, but it's important enough to do so anyway).

You can easily fish off the dock for panfish, but if you do plan on getting a boat I'd highly recommend a pontoon boat. They are very comfortable with lots of room to move around and if your child gets bored they have a nice place to sit and play with mom while you fish.

This site has great info on resorts on the lake: http://www.ricelakecanada.com/resort_finder.htm. There are many family oriented places to stay.

I find Musky Bay Resort to be a very well looked after resort with great boats and good prices. I rent boats from them quite often for a day of fishing and have stayed there several times as well. It is true that in the summer most places only rent for a week, but I always managed to get a weekend rental from somewhere on the lake.

I would recommend Bobcaygeon. Before we had our place up there we stayed at Buckeye Center...705-738-2481...last time there 6 years ago so the phone number might not be current. A family run hotel since the 50's I believe. It is a small hotel right on the water with fully equipped kitchens. Nice grounds with propane BBQ's to use as well. I took my son there for a father/son trip in May once and he still counts it as one of our BEST fishing trips....me too. Panfish off the dock 100 feet from your door. 2 public beaches...one within walking distance. Kawartha Dairy...the best ice cream...huge brownie points for dad :thumbsup_anim: within walking distance as well. You are right in town so you can walk to everything as a matter of fact. Just a beautiful quiet little place. Several spots in town you can get gills perch SM bass and walleye from shore if you don't have a boat.

If you have a boat you can fish Sturgeon Lake or Pigeon Lake you pick. Free launches right in town or tie up free at Buckeye.

I could go on and on. We plan on retiring up there...that's how much we love the place. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I would be happy to help you and your son have a special trip together. Might even be able to get you a sweet deal on a place to stay ;) .