German Shorthair Pointers - Anyone own one?

troutologist

I'm looking into getting a dog and am kicking around the idea of a GSP. I'm would hope to train it and use it as a upland gundog but would would not hunt more than a dozen times a year.

Heres a few questions, as I've never owned a hunting dog before.

Do these dogs need to be hunted more than that? I understand they are active and I am too, getting enough exercise will not be a huge issue.

My only concern is how they will deal with cold weather, does anyone have experience with this?

Can they be reasonably trained to stay in a boat or canoe?

Any other experience/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Hi there, I own a German Wired Haired Pointer. I don't use him for hunting but he does a lot of fishing with me. He is a dog that can handle cold weather and I don't have a problem with him on the boat. They are very loyal and trainable dogs and would certainly recommend one for hunting or fishing.

Here is a picture of my dog.

Picture_147__640x480_.jpg

Edited by rick55

Great Upland dogs, Mines 8 months now and as long as you have time to TRAIN, TRAIN AND TRAIN you can have them preform any task asked of them.

Find a good breeder and half the work is done(strong hunting instincts).

Read up, a great web site is uplandjournal.com

Good luck!

Edited by Rustic-Fisher

well, i dont know much about them but my buddy has one. its a real nice dog. great attitude. good with other animals. just a little nervous around new people. really cool and nice lookin dog though! a great personality too.

lol thats all i know.

awesome dogs, but you need to work them (or at least get them TONS of exercise). Also consider munsterlanders and brittanies.....not that either is quite the dog of a GSP, but htey may be a better fit for whatever you're looking for.

I have a GSP, Andy

Katiebo's Andy CKC JFD, CKC FD, AKC, NAVHDA NA, NAVHDA UT, Canadian Show Champion, and a wall full of ribbons and plaques. He is 13 now, I got him when he was 6 weeks old so I guess I know a bit about them.

To answer some of your questions:

No, they don't need to be hunted at all but they do love to hunt, hunting to them is pleasing you and they will do anything they can for you, all they ask is a little love and attention.

Cold weather, no problem, If YOU can hunt in it, they will!

As far as training is concerned, they can be trained to do anything they are physically able to do.

GSPs are a very affecionate dog, they tend to be very friendly, wonderful around kids and other dogs or cats but they do need love and attention, if you are going to keep it tied up outside when you are not hunting or training, don't get one!

They love to hunt and fish (as anyone who has ever fished at my place can tell you) You should see the look Andy gives you if you throw a fish back, in fact he has even dove in and tried to retrive a few when he thought they were trying to get away.

Now some questions/suggestions for you:

Do not buy a GSP that is not registered and whom you haven't seen the pedigree of both parents!

Do you have anyone near you that has experience training a versital hunting dog?

Are you willing to spend an hour every day playing, exercising, and training?

Do you have a breeder in mind?

Have you ever heard of the NAVHDA Green Book?

I did'nt know jack about pointers till I went to paint one

I found out----owners of pointers who field trial and hunt are VERY into their sport and info on this breed.

I asked a couple questions and I got tons of info---some kinda funny---like---1st draft of the dog I had his tail straight back------well I was quickly corrected that this was a European Point and up was North American.

See what ya can learn---you may be entering a world where they place the bar kinda high.

Bushart

Proud owner of a purebred Northern BeerHound

w3.JPG

GSP is on my list, I need a hunting partner :lol:

Where do you live? I know several breeders and they are often looking for someone to help shooting for them. Or if you are looking for a dog of your own I might be able to help you there too.

Edited by Big Cliff

Where do you live? I know several breeders and they are often looking for someone to help shooting for them. Or if you are looking for a dog of your own I might be able to help you there too.

thanks Cliff, I'll let you know. I will be looking for gps in the near future.