Soft plastics

motion

Well I got a big surprise yesterday when I went and opened my soft pack worm bags. The Plastic bags holding the worms has gone soft and has discoloured. It looks like the PVC material has reacted with the worms. The worms seem OK.

I have stored my worms in the soft pack bags from BPS in years past but found some Storm bags at Princess Auto that looked good. :blink:

I think I'm going to store them in hard plastic cases in the future. What do you guys store plastics in? I mainly use 5" Senkos.

Thanks for your help.

If you wanna do that, I suggest waiting for a deal at CT. There, sometimes a Plano soft sided carry bag + 4 boxes will cost about 25, which is cheaper than buying 4 boxes alone. But then again, you gotta be pretty lucky to go in for them at the right time.

Edited by EC1

NOW: Clear ziplock bags, sometimes I double bag if they are gulp. The bags themselves weigh practically nothing compared to a plastic box and I can easily add or remove what I don't need. eg Don't need leaches today, plastic bag of leaches taken out, without getting my hands messy. I store all the plastics for the day in larger nylon lunch bag.

Before: The plano 4700 to store all my plastics. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage-PGSTT47.html But it was just too much to carry around sometimes if I'm using 2-3 different types of plastic worms/grubs. Fully adjustable box and it was about $15 with two levels.

Edited by Syn

I use the double sided worm binder from BPS. Currently I have about 40 bags of plastics stored in it, which required buying extra bags(it comes with 20.) Personally I like to be organized, and this does the trick. I keep mostly senkos/worms on one side, with dropshot, tubes and creatures on the other side.

I use the double sided worm binder from BPS. Currently I have about 40 bags of plastics stored in it, which required buying extra bags(it comes with 20.) Personally I like to be organized, and this does the trick. I keep mostly senkos/worms on one side, with dropshot, tubes and creatures on the other side.

How much did you pay for it. I would like to look into something like that...

Yeah, I know what you mean. All lot of my stuff bled thru the same sleeves, esp. the chartreuese stuff. I put everything in small plastice ziplocks and put them back in. Threw out the badly discolored sleeves. I don't use much plastic, so not a big deal for me.

Edited by Andy

Andy, I'm big on plastics and hate when things like this happen to my Senkos. I used to have the BPS soft bags but found it a pain in the but to use. My son just started using the hard plastic cases last season and they seem to really work. I think it was the PVC material in the Storm soft bags that reacted with the worms.

I'll keep my eyes out for BPS sale coming soon. They should have some cases in their flyer.

I use a worm binder as well (the cheap ones that I bought at Princess Auto last year) but I keep the worms in their original packages. Mainly because the zip locks on the worm binder are crap, but also because of the info on the packages. This can create some problems as the packages are as big if not bigger than the worm binder sleeves, but I do some origami and it all works out.

Jim

From looking at their American sites, I think up here they will have those 360 and 370 BP storage boxs on sale on March the 28th. 5 for $10, limit 10 per customer. That's how much they are down there and if I remember correctly, that was what they were up here during last year's sale.

.....really found the soft-bag binder system storage for plastics an exellent idea. :)

I use the BPS binder bag for bass plastics keeping them in their original packaging, inserting that into the binder pages and also found them great for storing walleye WORM HARNESSES as well indidual pages for FLUORO LEADERS, that at times required some level of attention prior to tying them to your line....tangled whatever.

For my MUSKY PLASTICS, the same only I use the X-tra Large Shimano worm BINDER-BAG, large enough for 12" plastics and to date, never had any plastic discolour,go hard or rot.

Every second on the water counts.....

EDIT:

for walleye jigging small grubs and curly tails I still use the Plano system plastic tray only because I find it accessible for quick decisions on colour to use.

Next time in CTC, check out the Auto section, Tool Boxes, they come with indiviual trays and I use them exclusively for my musky hard baits, Glidebaits, Jerkbaits and topwaters and not only are they a little deeper but generally about 1/3 the price of a comparable system in the fishing tackle aisle. For comparable prices in specialty musky storage systems it is almost 1/10 the cost.

Edited by brickNblock

I've treid some worm binders in the past and have had colour "melting" issues.

Last bunch of yrs I have just used the Large heavy Ziploc bags. Just pile the original bags inside and I separate diff types of plastics in diff Ziplocs. Worms, Grubs, Minnow leach etc.

Felt Marker on them what is stored inside.

They roll up for easy carrying in a tackle bag.

worms and craws in a double wide plastic tote - like a double wide shoe box - holds +100 bags

gulp and twisters stay in their store packaging and go in a soft sided tackle tote bag. Bought it $9.99 at CTC and took out the 4 Plano trays to use elsewhere. Holds a whack of bags. Big front pouch for swimbaits, side pouches for odd stuff

Never really thought to keep them in the original packages. It sounds logical and I may give it a try this year. Though I think the hard plastic totes are good, they may take up too much room in the boat.

Thanks guys for your input. It's always appriciated.