Another to our American friends

Cast-Away

Good question if it is important to you. In the 60`s two kinds of beer were sold here in Ohio, low test 3.2% and high test 5 or 6%. 18 to 21 year olds could only buy 3.2% and Sunday sales may have been limited to 3.2%

The war in Viet Nam changed the thinking, if young people could fight and die for their country they ought to be able to buy high test beer so the law was changed. I don`t recall seeing low test beer for a long time, as I recall the caps on the bottles were a different color.

Some time after Viet Nam the old guys that start wars became concerned about young people getting drunk and killing themselves at home, drunk driving ect. So the age limit was raised to 21 for all alcohol. Low test may have been discontinued here.

You can buy cigarettes at 18 they won`t kill you as quick, you can`t buy alcohol, but you better register with the selective service system when you reach 18.

Old guys are pretty selective on what laws they think are needed for young guys! Saw a news feature that claimed 20% of the alcohol consumed here was by people too young to legally buy it, money speaks louder than laws?

Rumblings about the law being changed again, another war, young people dying, military not hitting it`s target figures for a volunteer force. Get them drunk, they will be more willing to fight?

LOL 3.2 beer in FLA and they still can`t count votes?

Good question if it is important to you. In the 60`s two kinds of beer were sold here in Ohio, low test 3.2% and high test 5 or 6%. 18 to 21 year olds could only buy 3.2% and Sunday sales may have been limited to 3.2%

The war in Viet Nam changed the thinking, if young people could fight and die for their country they ought to be able to buy high test beer so the law was changed. I don`t recall seeing low test beer for a long time, as I recall the caps on the bottles were a different color.

Some time after Viet Nam the old guys that start wars became concerned about young people getting drunk and killing themselves at home, drunk driving ect. So the age limit was raised to 21 for all alcohol. Low test may have been discontinued here.

You can buy cigarettes at 18 they won`t kill you as quick, you can`t buy alcohol, but you better register with the selective service system when you reach 18.

Old guys are pretty selective on what laws they think are needed for young guys! Saw a news feature that claimed 20% of the alcohol consumed here was by people too young to legally buy it, money speaks louder than laws?

Rumblings about the law being changed again, another war, young people dying, military not hitting it`s target figures for a volunteer force. Get them drunk, they will be more willing to fight?

LOL 3.2 beer in FLA and they still can`t count votes?

Interesting insight into how laws are enacted and legislated.

Thanks fer the enlightenment.

It can be real hard to figure out the laws on buying alcohol here in the states, in Ohio you can buy beer and wine in every store it seems, even gas stations. High powered alcohol used to be sold in state run liquor stores, that changed, they closed a lot of them to move the payroll from the state. Now local beverage stores and some grocery stores are licensed to sell it. Most grocery stores also sell diluted alcohol products.

Place we had tournies at in New York was in a dry county, had to go elsewhere to buy. In PA we couldn`t find beer in the grocery store. I know one of the places I went to in Ontario has a beer store and liquor store almost side by side.

Hasn`t been a priority for me for a long time. I do laugh at the trouble some people go thru to get it. LOL Like finding a good tackle store I guess.

We can buy the beer both ways it depends on the brand you drink. Some of the bigger brand names keep theirs at 3 % to cut down on frivolous law suits that claim they are at fault because it is irresponsible amount of alcohol per beer. O well I guess if you are drinking for a buzz then we have to drink 1.66 standard beers to your 1 metric beer.

Art