Flippin Rods

MCTFisher9120

Hey Bass anglers, the BPS Spring Classic here and I found a reel to "trade" in and get $40 or so bucks off of my reel purchase...I'm confident in buying either a Revo STX or a Curado E7..I would like the Abu cause of the extra drag power and I can double the 7'6H or MH rod as a Pike setup in the spring.

I've been really interested in a solid Abu Vendetta/Revo combo..However those Carrot Stix flippin rods look awesome also...then there is a G.Loomis GL2 7'6 flippin stick,Carbon Lite, Kistler Magnesium rods, shimano crucial...etc

O and St Croix Primer! :P

Too many to choose from all in my price range of $90-$180ish

Any suggestions?

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Well you seem to have all the high end rods covered.

I recently bought a Revo SX it just felt better in my hand than the Curado, too be honest the Curado felt cheap.

I am partial to Shimano rods because they perform well and are well made, pair your new reel up with a Compre or a Crucial and you will have a fine combo.

I don`t need hellium rods or carrot rods, I like to stick with what I know.

I'm not ordering Syn. I'll be going to BPS in a few weeks to buy the reel an get some $ off of the purchase price. As for the rod I'm going to Gagnon's in Oshawa to have a look and to hold a few

ah ok. I think you are becoming addicted to fishing like the rest of us lol. Can't wait til summer! Yep do like Raf said and if you can put the reel on the rod and then check how the whole set up feels.

i have never been to these sales before and wondering is it just the reels that are on special or are the rods as well

Honestly there isn't much rod rod deals. Just BPS brand combo's and BPS rods usually. I'm going to look at a Mojo Bass and a Croix Premier flippin stick's today...As for the reel, the reel trade in is a must....$30 or $40 bucks off is nice when you clean up and bring in a old reel for a kid.

I haven't any idea what the Rapala Shift rods are like, but would love to know if anybody has checked them out.

Nice choices on the reels, btw! By season's end, I'd like to have an STX myself.....

They are a super sweet rod,I don't know of a rod under $200 that is even close to them,yup not even a crucial will touch it and I can fish any rod I want yet will have one of these in my hand this season for sure w/ a Revo Premier.

Honestly there isn't much rod rod deals. Just BPS brand combo's and BPS rods usually. I'm going to look at a Mojo Bass and a Croix Premier flippin stick's today...As for the reel, the reel trade in is a must....$30 or $40 bucks off is nice when you clean up and bring in a old reel for a kid.

Nothing wrong with BPS brand rods like the Extreme or the Bionic blade they offer great value especially when they are on sale, the only thing they really don`t offer is the sexy brand image that so many people like these days.

Honestly the Mojo Bass rods that were the 7'9 and 7'11 are not that nice. They are heavy and bulky IMO. When feeling those, Shimano Claras, and the Croix Premier I thought they were all heavy rods.

I might have fell for the 7'2 MH Rapala R-Type(3/8-1oz). Great price Light weight with backbone and perfect for jigs in the 3/8oz-1/2oz range like I'll be throwing. If I start to get into the 3/4oz and beyond class then a stiffer rod will be perfect I think...Until then I bought the R-Type, very lightweight and felt perfect in my hand.

For sparse cover with 40lb Braid or 50lb Braid with a short fluoro leader it will be a perfect match with a Revo STX.

Thanks Gagnon's!

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

The Mojo Bass and Premiers aren't all that nice. They're made of lower end graphites. If you can save up the extra couple bucks and get into the 220$ range you could check out the Legend Tournament Bass series from Croix. I've been thinking/looking all winter for new Walleye rods and I think I've come to settle on the Legend Walleye rods (same as the legend bass). They are super light, stiff/sensitive and made of the second best graphite Croix has to offer and are sold at over 100$ off Croix's "flagship" Legend Extreme.

The Mojo Bass and Premiers aren't all that nice. They're made of lower end graphites. If you can save up the extra couple bucks and get into the 220$ range you could check out the Legend Tournament Bass series from Croix. I've been thinking/looking all winter for new Walleye rods and I think I've come to settle on the Legend Walleye rods (same as the legend bass). They are super light, stiff/sensitive and made of the second best graphite Croix has to offer and are sold at over 100$ off Croix's "flagship" Legend Extreme.

the mojo rods are made of the same graphite, or very similar, to the avid rods. everyone has their own opinions. which is fine. i wont bash anyone for what they like to use. i love quantum. i use their reels, and until this season, their rods. before switching to a custom rod company whose prostaff i joined. quantum has a great lineup of rods. my one isue, was they were a little too stiff and prone to breakage. but, they have a great warrenty and are awesome to deal with. the reels, cant say anythin bad about them, had one problem with a tour edition and had it fixed no problem. lots of guys swear by shimano... i dont like them. wont use their stuff. just dont care for it. they have some nice equipment, but just find a lot of it is over priced. wait, i lied, i have a shimano rainsuit, and 2 citica E reels, which are a phenomenal reel for the price.

but for 100 bucks, give or take, the mojo rods are an excellant rod for anyone looking for a quality rod. they have a good warrenty at 5 years, excellant price range, all technique specific models. when ur getting in to a 7'9" and 7'11" rod, that is designed for heavy fishing... the rod is gonna be heavier then others. its a given. but if u compare them to other flippin sticks u will see they are not overly heavy. i have 4 mojo rods, and they are great. the 7'6" med/hvy pitchin stick is an awesme rod. but, im selling all mine to get new ones from my sponsor.

so, as we have all discussed so many times before, anytime a question pops up about rods or reels... it all comes down to each individual's preference. they brands they like to use, the money they wanna spend and how each rod looks and feels to them.

mike, hope ur happy with the rod u purchased! enjoy bud.

the mojo rods are made of the same graphite, or very similar, to the avid rods. everyone has their own opinions. which is fine. i wont bash anyone for what they like to use.

Don't get me wrong they are a great deal for the money and I actually own one :). I have the 6'8" ML-XF Drop Shot rig. They are a great deal it's just I find the SCIII graphite (which you are right is the same as the Avids) seem's to be too "floppy" for a finesse rod.

yes, as i mentioned, each person has their own preference of what the rod should feel like and how the actions should be. part of the reason i jumped on the prostaff with a custom rod company. every aspect of my rods is my design and choice. for example, the mojo rods, have a jerkbait rod that is 6'6"... too long for my liking, (but i own one lol) i like a bit shorter rod. mojo frog rod is 7'... mine will be 7'10"

so yes, we can agree they are good quality at a great price point. lol

Yes sir I can agree with you 100% on that one ;) . I doubt it will be my last Mojo-Bass...I need an entry level casting rod soon :D .

ill have a 7' med/hvy spinnerbait rod and 7' heavy frog rod for sale in the very near future. both mojo's both in brand new condition. let me know if ur interested!