Strike master lazer auger

rob v

Not sure if this has been posted here yet (I tried searching but couldn't find anything) but I thought I would share some info I got from a different site. It appears that some of the recently manufactured / sold strike master lazer augers have blades made in China on them that aren't working very well. I bought a new hand powered unit a couple of weeks ago and while it cut okay it wasn't what I expected. I needed to put more pressure on it than I thought it should need and the auger cut sideways more than it should have. Apparently Strike master is aware of the problem and is replacing the blades with new ones - the only question they asked was when and where you bought it and the serial number on the blades (yup mine were made in china - says so right on the blades). A very nice lady at strike master helped me on the phone today and said a new pair of swedish made blades are in the mail to me today. She didn't sound surprised by my call. so if you're in a similar boat - give them a call - I don,t even have to send in the ones I've got - so they might work as spares/back-ups.

Edited by Rob V

Yes - I bought and paid for the real thing and was supposed to have gotten the real thing. The last strike master I bought worked wonderfully so I thought I would buy another (smaller diameter to make it easier to drill). If the new blades come as promised (i should have them in a week) I will have the real thing - so I'm satisfied - they're standing behind their product - trouble is I had to ask first.

I bought a similar 6" hand auger at BPS just before Christmas. After the first couple of uses, I noticed that one of the blades had broken, snapped off right at one of the mounting holes. I figgered I must have wacked the blade against something so I bought a new set of Normark blades at Canadian Tire and noticed that the original blades were made in China, the replacements were made in Sweden of what I'm sure is a far superior material. Now I'm not sure if I did anything to the original blades or if they were just faulty. Replacement blades cost me $25, more than half the original price of the auger.

Do you have the phone number handy? I'll give them a call, maybe they'll send me some blades as well, I still have the originals.

I bought a similar 6" hand auger at BPS just before Christmas. After the first couple of uses, I noticed that one of the blades had broken, snapped off right at one of the mounting holes. I figgered I must have wacked the blade against something so I bought a new set of Normark blades at Canadian Tire and noticed that the original blades were made in China, the replacements were made in Sweden of what I'm sure is a far superior material. Now I'm not sure if I did anything to the original blades or if they were just faulty. Replacement blades cost me $25, more than half the original price of the auger.

Do you have the phone number handy? I'll give them a call, maybe they'll send me some blades as well, I still have the originals.

Ask for a refund.

JF

While doing a ton of research a couple weeks ago on what auger I should buy, I read a lot of people were having the same problems with their Strikemaster Lazer blades…Blades were made in China and either sucked at cutting or they were breaking in half – They were on newly bought augers…Good to see most people ended up getting their replacement blades from Strikemaster though in fairly good time.

I ended up getting a Normark Finbore III…From what I’ve read on various forums, the blades on the Finbore III and the Strikemaster Lazer can be interchanged so if you’re in a bind and can’t locate a set of Lazer replacement blades in the future, you have another option. Might want to call Normark Canada yourself first though just to make sure…Apparently that’s what they were telling people who inquired.

While doing a ton of research a couple weeks ago on what auger I should buy, I read a lot of people were having the same problems with their Strikemaster Lazer blades…Blades were made in China and either sucked at cutting or they were breaking in half – They were on newly bought augers…Good to see most people ended up getting their replacement blades from Strikemaster though in fairly good time.

I ended up getting a Normark Finbore III…From what I’ve read on various forums, the blades on the Finbore III and the Strikemaster Lazer can be interchanged so if you’re in a bind and can’t locate a set of Lazer replacement blades in the future, you have another option. Might want to call Normark Canada yourself first though just to make sure…Apparently that’s what they were telling people who inquired.

The strikemaster lazer is a "swede-bore" auger. Different blades than a "fin-bore". The Normark Swede-bore blades bolted right on my Strikemaster auger.

The strikemaster lazer is a "swede-bore" auger. Different blades than a "fin-bore". The Normark Swede-bore blades bolted right on my Strikemaster auger.

My mistake, I just went to the Strikemaster site and my auger is the Mora model (which has a swede-bore blade). The lazer does appear to be a fin-bore.

Regardless, I'm still going to call about my broken blade.

Strike master customer service = 763 263 8999 they were very helpful when I called.

And Jer I would call - you've got nothing to loose. If you've still got your old blades they'll want the serial numbers on them.

Strike master customer service = 763 263 8999 they were very helpful when I called.

And Jer I would call - you've got nothing to loose. If you've still got your old blades they'll want the serial numbers on them.

I sent an email since their office was closed when I called. I got a response back today that new Swedish made blades are on there way in the mail.

"Jerrold,

Thank you for including all of that information in your email. We have been having some cutting issues with the Chinese blades so we will send you a new set of blades in the mail. The replacement blades will be Swedish blades.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

StrikeMaster Corp.

17217 - 198th Ave

Big Lake, MN 55309

Phone (763) 263-8999

Fax (763) 263-8986

Hours: M - F 8am - 5pm CDT

Thanks for the original post.