fishing etiquette

fish_fishburn

Hello everyone. I am going to try steelhead fishing this spring for the first time and was wondering what are the do's and don'ts while fishing the tribs. I hear that certian areas can get pretty crowded at times and would hate to spoil some ones day buy unknowingly doing something that is frowned upon by the locals. What distance should you keep from other anglers while fishing above or below them etc. I have been doing my homework over the winter on how to catch these awesome fish but haven't really seen anything on the etiquitte side of things. I'm just trying to cover all the bases before I head down there. Thanks in advance.

cheers Fish.

There's different standards it seems depending on the individual.

Myself I never encroach upon anybody. If someone's fishing a spot I want to fish I keep walking and find another.

If I'm approaching a large run and there is room to squeeze in I never slip in downstream of someone, always upstream. (There's nothing I hate worse than being "lowholed" by someone. :) ).

Sometimes as in the case of the ditches east of T.O., you're forced to fish cheeek to jowl.

That's why I almost never fish out there.

Bottom line it boils down to common courtesy and common sense.

Edited by solopaddler

Bottom line it boilds down to common courtesy and common sense.

SoloP hit the nail on the head...don't do anything you wouldn't want done to you...watch techniques, if you come upon a stretch of water where everyone is using floats, don't squeeze in and start tossing a spinner...and vice versa, if using a float where other guys are using a different technique, don't let it drift half way down the river.

I try to stay away from the crowds I used to fish, getting old I guess, also doesn't hurt to introduce yourself and ask if the guy/gal minds if you fish near them...most times us "river rats" will be polite in return. Good luck out there, nothing like a bow hitting your offering and launching itself into a cartwheel!!!!

Respect an Angler's Space

This is probably the most violated rule on the river. Many popular sections of a river can be very crowded during the spawning run. Crowding another angler is inconsiderate. If you approach him or her, make sure to ask before moving into the area. Give the angler enough space so the two of you can fish without interference.

Don't Walk into a Run

Nothing aggrevates a veteran steelheader more than another angler walking into a run of fish. Most of the time it's because the person is not familiar with the stream. Most new steelheader's are not yet accustomed to reading water. A common rule I use is "don't go past your knees". Once again, watch where people are fishing. If you're not sure, ask.

Don't Jump into Another Person's Spot

When an angler is fighting a fish, more than often they may have to move from their spot to land the fish. This doesn't mean the space is available, because more than likely the person is coming back.

Don't Play a Foul Hooked Fish

If you foul hook (accidentally snag) a steelhead, snap the line. Tackle is cheap. Most foul hooked steelhead are very difficult to control, resulting in injury or unnecessary stress to the fish. Once foul hooked, they will leap from the water and thrash about, spooking the other fish. If you repeatedly fight foul hooked fish in a crowded section, you'll become very unpopular. Also, you will find most game wardens look at this practice unfavorably.

Tolerate Other Forms of Fishing

This is a never ending debate on the local rivers: fly fishermen Vs bait fishermen. To some anglers, fly fishing is the only way to catch steelhead, because they are a trout. I use both fly and spinning gear. One day, I may use minnows - another day I'll drift nymphs. Nothing gets my blood boiling faster than a loudmouth elitist. There is no better or worse style of fishing for steelhead.

Respect People's Property

This has become a major problem on Lake Erie's tributaries. Every year more and more landowners have posted "No Trespassing" signs on their property because they're fed up with garbage left behind and a general lack of respect. If you come upon a posted property don't trespass. If you want to fish there, ask the landowner. If they say "no" respect their wishes. If they allow you, do something nice in return such as cleaning up garbage along the shore.

Don't Litter

Often when I'm fishing I see garbage everywhere. First of all it's pollutes the environment and it's an eyesore. Some sections of streams have been closed to fishing because landowners were fed up with garbage along their property. Make it a habit to pick up discarded monofilament, cans and other trash, and dispose of them properly.

Questioning Anglers that Keep or Release Fish

There is nothing wrong with keeping a fish. Likewise, there is nothing wrong with releasing your catch. If you see an angler release a nice size fish, it is considered rude to say "Aren't you going to keep that?" or "You should keep that one!".

Give Others Space When Fighting A Fish

Give other anglers enough room to land their catch. If it's necessary, take your line out of the water to give them some space. This may happen when you're fishing down river and another angler has to move down river to land a fish.

Walk Quietly Around Others

Be courteous to those already on the streams. Walk behind other anglers and out of the water if possible. If you must stay in the water, walk with minimum surface disturbance.

© (from another site)

Edited by Steel28

I think that last post pretty much sums it up.

Another point to consider is crowding and if you are like me and hate it, try your best to fish less on days (ie weekends) and if a spot is packed with fish but full of fisher persons I just move on as you can probably find a good spot further up or down the stream with less crowding.

Respect an Angler's Space

This is probably the most violated rule on the river. Many popular sections of a river can be very crowded during the spawning run. Crowding another angler is inconsiderate. If you approach him or her, make sure to ask before moving into the area. Give the angler enough space so the two of you can fish without interference.

Don't Walk into a Run

Nothing aggrevates a veteran steelheader more than another angler walking into a run of fish. Most of the time it's because the person is not familiar with the stream. Most new steelheader's are not yet accustomed to reading water. A common rule I use is "don't go past your knees". Once again, watch where people are fishing. If you're not sure, ask.

Don't Jump into Another Person's Spot

When an angler is fighting a fish, more than often they may have to move from their spot to land the fish. This doesn't mean the space is available, because more than likely the person is coming back.

Don't Play a Foul Hooked Fish

If you foul hook (accidentally snag) a steelhead, snap the line. Tackle is cheap. Most foul hooked steelhead are very difficult to control, resulting in injury or unnecessary stress to the fish. Once foul hooked, they will leap from the water and thrash about, spooking the other fish. If you repeatedly fight foul hooked fish in a crowded section, you'll become very unpopular. Also, you will find most game wardens look at this practice unfavorably.

Tolerate Other Forms of Fishing

This is a never ending debate on the local rivers: fly fishermen Vs bait fishermen. To some anglers, fly fishing is the only way to catch steelhead, because they are a trout. I use both fly and spinning gear. One day, I may use minnows - another day I'll drift nymphs. Nothing gets my blood boiling faster than a loudmouth elitist. There is no better or worse style of fishing for steelhead.

Respect People's Property

This has become a major problem on Lake Erie's tributaries. Every year more and more landowners have posted "No Trespassing" signs on their property because they're fed up with garbage left behind and a general lack of respect. If you come upon a posted property don't trespass. If you want to fish there, ask the landowner. If they say "no" respect their wishes. If they allow you, do something nice in return such as cleaning up garbage along the shore.

Don't Litter

Often when I'm fishing I see garbage everywhere. First of all it's pollutes the environment and it's an eyesore. Some sections of streams have been closed to fishing because landowners were fed up with garbage along their property. Make it a habit to pick up discarded monofilament, cans and other trash, and dispose of them properly.

Questioning Anglers that Keep or Release Fish

There is nothing wrong with keeping a fish. Likewise, there is nothing wrong with releasing your catch. If you see an angler release a nice size fish, it is considered rude to say "Aren't you going to keep that?" or "You should keep that one!".

Give Others Space When Fighting A Fish

Give other anglers enough room to land their catch. If it's necessary, take your line out of the water to give them some space. This may happen when you're fishing down river and another angler has to move down river to land a fish.

Walk Quietly Around Others

Be courteous to those already on the streams. Walk behind other anglers and out of the water if possible. If you must stay in the water, walk with minimum surface disturbance.

© (from another site)

Ahh, the 10 COMMANDMENTS of river fishing...seen it before, and, pretty much sums it up...good points on the "elitists" and keeping of fish...if you enjoy a meal and are fishing on a healthy system by all means keep a fish or two.

Just come up and fish northern Huron or Superior tribs... never crowded!

lol but in truth all u need to remember is use your common sense, dont do anything you wouldnt want to happen to you!

and like others have said, it never hurts to ask...

At the opposite end of the specturm you will run into people who think they own the river. Don't get pushed around being a newbie. I always love when you are on a crowded river and someone thinks they own the river. I grew up fishing the ganny and the lower sections can be so crowed opening day that you will befishing shoulder to shoulder, guys taking turns to fish a run or a pool. In those cases all thats really expected is enough space to cast comfortably and that you wait your turn. If you pay attention you will see if there is room or not for you to fit into the pecking order. If its uncrowded river then yes, always keep moving, find your own spot. I try and give a wide bearth when passing by so I don't spook the fish.

Something just came to mind.

As mentioned I'll never enter someone's space and encroach on them. Never.

But...if I'm working a spot with my centrepin and am on fish, and someone steps in below me that's different.

Sometimes (not all the time) I'll stand my ground and fish around them.

The problem (mostly with novices or fly fishermen) they don't get the fact that centrepinners will generally cast cross stream and drift down to the fish. That while we may be standing upstream of you we're actually targetting the water that's right in front of and just downstream of you.

People that don't understand this concept and walk in below a pinner will tend to get visibly upset when in fact it's them that walked into your space and are intruding on you.

That's lowholing in a nutshell. :)

Edited by solopaddler

But...if I'm working a spot with my centrepin and am on fish, and someone steps in below me that's different.

The problem (mostly with novices or fly fishermen) they don't get the fact that centrepinners will generally cast cross stream and drift down to the fish. That while we may be standing upstream of you we're actually targetting the water that's right in front of and just downstream of you.

People that don't understand this concept and walk in below a pinner will tend to get visibly upset when in fact it's them that walked into your space and are intruding on you.

How do you determine how much room to leave downstream?

JF

I understand how frustrating that can be if the person that walk in below you and cuts off your drifts but if you both work together is it that big of a deal?

Yup, and, not just pinning...same goes for bottom bouncing on quicker water...you cast upstream and drift down. While on the subject another mistake alot of "newbies" will make is walking right out on top of the fish...don't know if it is a "wow I just got my first pair of chest waders, see how far out I can go" type thing or what, but, if everyone else is fishing on or near the banks there is a reason for it.

Yup, and, not just pinning...same goes for bottom bouncing on quicker water...you cast upstream and drift down. While on the subject another mistake alot of "newbies" will make is walking right out on top of the fish...don't know if it is a "wow I just got my first pair of chest waders, see how far out I can go" type thing or what, but, if everyone else is fishing on or near the banks there is a reason for it.

Twice last fall I hooked fish directly behind guys who waded out in front of me. Just because I could. :lol:

That's a common theme on some of the rivers I fish. It's "usually" flyfishermen high stick nymphing with indicators who feel the need to stand right on top of the fish.

Right, here's what you do:

1) Everybody wears waders for a reason, whomever can wade out the deepest in a pool has dibs. Whenever you can find guys standing on the bank, if you wade out into the middle of the pool infront of them and call "SHOTGUN!" you get the hole. Another plus is wading in the middle of the river will herd all the trout into a tight pack. Really.

2) Eventually you'll find an experienced hand that you can't edge out (or you both find yourselves standing on the opposite bank :D ). In this situation it's imperative you stand as close as possible, preferably downstream. It's polite and a sign of respect to stand downstream of other anglers, bull flowing down river and all. You'll want to time your casts together, if possible have your float land as close as possible to other anglers, 3 inches is a good target to aim for. That way the fish see each bait at the same time, it's the fairest way to fish a hole. Always apologize when your lines tangle, if you're fishing properly this should happen every other cast.

3) Don't feel shy about keeping fish, afterall there's plenty of natural reproduction (just ask anybody!). Now here's the cagey part, you don't want to let all the tricks out of the bag so keep the hot colour secret. Put an 1 1/2oz. Cleo on your line, occassionally start talking to other anglers about steelheads habit of swiping at lures with their tail, be sure to talk loud enough so everbody at the pool can overhear.

Right, here's what you do:

1) Everybody wears waders for a reason, whomever can wade out the deepest in a pool has dibs. Whenever you can find guys standing on the bank, if you wade out into the middle of the pool infront of them and call "SHOTGUN!" you get the hole. Another plus is wading in the middle of the river will herd all the trout into a tight pack. Really.

2) Eventually you'll find an experienced hand that you can't edge out (or you both find yourselves standing on the opposite bank :D ). In this situation it's imperative you stand as close as possible, preferably downstream. It's polite and a sign of respect to stand downstream of other anglers, bull flowing down river and all. You'll want to time your casts together, if possible have your float land as close as possible to other anglers, 3 inches is a good target to aim for. That way the fish see each bait at the same time, it's the fairest way to fish a hole. Always apologize when your lines tangle, if you're fishing properly this should happen every other cast.

3) Don't feel shy about keeping fish, afterall there's plenty of natural reproduction (just ask anybody!). Now here's the cagey part, you don't want to let all the tricks out of the bag so keep the hot colour secret. Put an 1 1/2oz. Cleo on your line, occassionally start talking to other anglers about steelheads habit of swiping at lures with their tail, be sure to talk loud enough so everbody at the pool can overhear.

lol i cant tell if your serious or kidding..... hahaha.

i like #2... reminds me of a few times people tried to push me out of the way so i pretty well made them leave by doing the exact same thing you mentioned! hahaha! it was quite the competition between me and the other guy who was surprisingly the same age as me!

Edited by bigredneck