on board chargers

archer379

Well with the spring fishing show over have really started to think about what i need to get the boat ready for spring. I bought a 24 volt trollling motor and have been ooking at soe kind of built in charger for the batterys. Al the info i find soesnt really tell me what size i need for my boat. I would like one to charge all 3 batteries the starting and the 2 for the trolling motor. they seem to come in 3 sizes 1 bank 2 bank 3 bank 12/24/36 volt. Do i need a 3 bank for three batteries. any info on this would help me greatly thanks

You cant charge 1 regular and 2 deep cycle batteries on a 3 bank charger. Trolling motor batteries need to take a slow deep charge. You should get a 2 bank charger and your motor takes care of the Crankin/Starting battery. I would go for a 2 bank 10/10 charger for faster charges or if you can wait the 8-10 hours it takes for a 5/5/2bank then go for it.

Well with the spring fishing show over have really started to think about what i need to get the boat ready for spring. I bought a 24 volt trollling motor and have been ooking at soe kind of built in charger for the batterys. Al the info i find soesnt really tell me what size i need for my boat. I would like one to charge all 3 batteries the starting and the 2 for the trolling motor. they seem to come in 3 sizes 1 bank 2 bank 3 bank 12/24/36 volt. Do i need a 3 bank for three batteries. any info on this would help me greatly thanks

In general your starting battery will Charge your starting battery but if you run electronics fish finder, gps radio and stuff. i would go with a 3 bank charger. That way it will charge your deep cycles and starting battery. And when it's fully charged it will change to a float charge. The one i would look into would be the Pro Mariner

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...OSSSELL_PRODUCT

Edited by Henry Nguyen

I don't know what kind of system you have, but as mentioned the motor normally charges the cranking motor.

I have an on-board charger for my 12 volt trolling motor (that I installed myself) and it is awesome. My dealer was super helpful in making sure that I had the right charger.

You'll love it.

Jim

hey Archer. I think all you need is a two bank charger for your trolling batteries and your motor will charge your starting battery. I have one in my bassboat and its a 10 amp duel charger made by Pro Charger. Dual for 24 volt and use a triple for 36 volt trolling motor. You can mount them any way you want, upside down, wherever you have room. You also might want to look into a battery management system as well. It directs power to the lowest batteries while your running. P.S. allways have a short set of booster cables as well. There usually for the other guy. Hopes this helps. Oh yeah what size motor are you running?

Garney we gotta stop agreeing so much :D ,if your running alot of electronics off your cranking battery a 3 bank would be a good idea,even running livewells can run it down and if you have a dfi engine then 100% you want a 3 bank or it's just a matter of time before your stranded because they need a big draw to turn over.

hey Archer. I think all you need is a two bank charger for your trolling batteries and your motor will charge your starting battery. I have one in my bassboat and its a 10 amp duel charger made by Pro Charger. Dual for 24 volt and use a triple for 36 volt trolling motor. You can mount them any way you want, upside down, wherever you have room. You also might want to look into a battery management system as well. It directs power to the lowest batteries while your running. P.S. allways have a short set of booster cables as well. There usually for the other guy. Hopes this helps. Oh yeah what size motor are you running?

thanks for all the info guys and for fish_fishburn i have a 82 pound motor guide. oh and thsnks for the tip on the booster cables

i have a 2 bank minn kota for my 24v trolling motor batteries. my main motor battery gives me low voltage signals after a day of fishing, so i would say their 3 bank would be helpful . the minn kota is a smart charger that knows when to deliver high amperage charges, trickle charges and maintenance charges. will maintain your batteries in the winter as well if you leave it plugged in.

I bought a 3 bank charger for my 14' boat last year mounted it under my casting deck I built for the front & wish I would have bought it years ago, 1 plug does all the batteries instead of trying to doe them all separate, I have a 24 v 75 lb Motor Guide Wireless & a battery for my live well & electronics

Works for Me Richard :Gonefishing:

DEFINITELY a 3 bank charger and YES you do want to recharge your starting battery with the charger.....these on-board chargers are Smart Chargers and they do more than just charge up your battery. They desulferize the batteries and maintain them during non-use (I no longer remove them during the winter). Here's the one I have been using for about 6 years and it really has extended the life of my batteries with the starting battery being 9 years old now. And Cabela's has a sale on them at this time.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

DEFINITELY a 3 bank charger and YES you do want to recharge your starting battery with the charger.....these on-board chargers are Smart Chargers and they do more than just charge up your battery. They desulferize the batteries and maintain them during non-use (I no longer remove them during the winter). Here's the one I have been using for about 6 years and it really has extended the life of my batteries with the starting battery being 9 years old now. And Cabela's has a sale on them at this time.

Absolutely a 3 bank charger. If you are fishing for several days you need to recharge your cranking battery. The Cbattery powers a lot of stuff, live wells, depth sounders, lights etc and unless you runlong dinstances at 3/4 ot full throttle you big motors charger just can't put back what comes out.Take it from one who stood on his head in the battery compartment getting a TM battery hooked up to start the big engine so he could go home. Buying my 3 bank on-board charger was probably the best addition made to my boat. I'll never take another boat out of a dealers lot without an on-board with a bank for each battery.

anyone ever try one of bass pro model

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...5007000_225-7-2

also i have never ordered from cabels is there site in canadian dollars

one more thing these come with 6 ft cables is there any issue in making them longer

Edited by archer379

anyone ever try one of bass pro model

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...5007000_225-7-2

also i have never ordered from cabels is there site in canadian dollars

one more thing these come with 6 ft cables is there any issue in making them longer

The site I supplied of Cabela's is US dollars but they do have a Canadian site that would be in Loonies......

I had to make the one set longer so I just cut about 6-8" off and got the same diameter wire from a hardware store......twisted them together and then soldiered them...after that I use shrink wrap and then used electrical tape over the shrink wrap.....then I put their end back on the extended wire using the same procedure.......works great.....OH, btw...I just put the fuse by the battery on the positive only.......but that's your choice.

One last tip.......I keep my boat in my garage during the fishing season.....when not in use the charger is ALWAYS plugged in (even during the winter). The night before I always hook up my boat to my truck and come morning with coffee in hand I start my truck and push the remote to raise the rest of the garage door....only thing I know I will forget to unplug the charger so I dropped a extension cord straight down over the plug for the charger (mid-ship). This way when I pull the boat out with the truck it just unplugs itself.....I think I can count the times on one hand when I actually remembered to unplug the charger in the morning.....

I also run a 3 bank charger with 3 deep-cycle Batts.

2 D-C for the trolling motor and one under the console which runs the sonar,gps etc...

The cranking battery stands alone charged by the main motror and only handles starting,livewell,lights and stereo.

Edited by brickNblock