Define Canada (NF)

bigfish1965

I was somewhat reminded by the 'I am Canadian' commercial by this, but it certainly goes more to the core and even mentions fishing, so I am, with great respect to the poet Shane Koyczan, placing his speech here..

VANCOUVER, B.C. - A transcript of Shane Koyczan's poem, "We Are More," as delivered during the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Olympic Games:

"Define Canada

You might say the home of the Rocket

Or The Great One

Who inspired little No. 9s and little No. 99s

But we're more than just hockey and fishing lines

Off of the rocky coast of the Maritimes

And some say what defines us

Is something as simple as 'please' and 'thank you'

And as for 'you're welcome,' well, we say that, too

But we are more than genteel or civilized

We are an idea in the process of being realized

We are young, we are cultures strung together then woven into a tapestry

And the design is what makes us more than the sum totals of our history

We are an experiment going right for a change

With influences that range from A to Zed

And yes, we say 'Zed' instead of 'Zee'

We are the brightness of Chinatown and the laughter of Little Italy

We dream so big that there are those

Who would call our ambition an industry

Because we are vineyards of good year after good year

We reforest what we clear

Because we believe in generations beyond our own

Knowing now that so many of us

Have grown past what we used to be

We can stand here today

Filled with all the hope people have

When they say things like 'someday'

Because we are more

Than a laundry list of things to do and places to see

More than hills to ski

Or countryside ponds to skate

We are the abandoned hesitation of all those who can't wait

We are first-rate greasy spoon diners and healthy living cafes

A country that is all the ways you choose to live

A nation that can give you variety

Because we are choices

We are millions upon millions of voices

Shouting, keep exploring

We are more

We are the surprise the world has in store for you, it's true

Canada is the 'what' in 'what's new'

So don't let your luggage define your travels

Each life unravels differently

And experiences are what make up

The colours of our tapestry

We are the true North

Strong and free

And what's more

Is that we didn't just say it

We made it be"

I love it, but there's a bit of "we're better than americans" tone to it. The Olympic opening ceremonies was not the right venue for it, IMO. By comparison the thing on Canada that NBC did prior to the openign ceremonies was remarkably good (and on point for context)

I love it, but there's a bit of "we're better than americans" tone to it. The Olympic opening ceremonies was not the right venue for it, IMO. By comparison the thing on Canada that NBC did prior to the openign ceremonies was remarkably good (and on point for context)

I think that I agree with this. Well put.

Jim

I love it, but there's a bit of "we're better than americans" tone to it.

I didn't get that from it at all. To me it was just a spot on jibe at those who think there's something wrong with us Canucks being polite at times.

And though I can't say I'm completely comfortable with our new cockiness about "owning the podium" etc I do kind of get a kick out of the British (and a few Canuck) journalists who think it's awful for Canadians to be so bold. I agree with whoever it was who said "Fortune favours the bold". Polite is great in a social context but it really sux in snowboard cross, or in hockey as our boys found in the first period tonight. I see they've become a tad rude, and are winning now. I'll go with bold for competition and polite for social situations. I was interested to note that most American commentator/writers also liked the new Canuck persona.

JF

I didn't get that from it at all. To me it was just a spot on jibe at those who think there's something wrong with us Canucks being polite at times.

And though I can't say I'm completely comfortable with our new cockiness about "owning the podium" etc I do kind of get a kick out of the British (and a few Canuck) journalists who think it's awful for Canadians to be so bold. I agree with whoever it was who said "Fortune favours the bold". Polite is great in a social context but it really sux in snowboard cross, or in hockey as our boys found in the first period tonight. I see they've become a tad rude, and are winning now. I'll go with bold for competition and polite for social situations. I was interested to note that most American commentator/writers also liked the new Canuck persona.

JF

Love us (or rather, don't hate us) because we're polite.

We say zed instead of zee.

Its not a lot, but it probably made no sense to anyone not in Canada or the US (or someone familiar with our contrasts).

It was a brilliant poem, and one i really enjoy re-reading (thanks for posting Rick!)....just wasn't the right forum for it in the opening ceremonies, IMO.

Just think the opening ceremonies should have been about the olympics and entertaining our guests....not about "how great we canadians are". I guarantee that poem resonated with no one outside Canada.

Edited by cram

when they announced there was going to be a poem I thought "Oh great, just what we need some lame poem"

was I ever wrong, this guy did something I didn't expect.

He made me proud to be Canadian by way of a poem.

Thanks for putting the text of the poem on the board, it is one I could read many times and never feel bored

Edited by grt1

Along that same line I've been really impressed (proud - whatever) with our Canadian athletes who've been winning. They have really done a good job of representing the Canadian persona (the one we'd like folks to see). They've been modest, polite, unassuming, and grateful. I'm talking mostly about the baggy pants set, the boarders and mogul racers. On a petty personal note I was more than happy to see the American board crosser, Holland, crash and burn. I know I should be a bigger man but I'm so glad that tubby little walking mouth isn't one of ours. On the other hand some of the American kids have been great.

Anyway, in the face of the criticism being tossed Canada's way for our newfound cockiness (Own The Podium etc) it's nice to see that our winners are really nice kids. I like the new national pride thing. I've never liked our national inferiority complex. It's about time we showed some nads on the national stage, and backed it up.

That's my 2 cents worth. YMMV.

JF

Along that same line I've been really impressed (proud - whatever) with our Canadian athletes who've been winning. They have really done a good job of representing the Canadian persona (the one we'd like folks to see). They've been modest, polite, unassuming, and grateful. I'm talking mostly about the baggy pants set, the boarders and mogul racers. On a petty personal note I was more than happy to see the American board crosser, Holland, crash and burn. I know I should be a bigger man but I'm so glad that tubby little walking mouth isn't one of ours. On the other hand some of the American kids have been great.

Anyway, in the face of the criticism being tossed Canada's way for our newfound cockiness (Own The Podium etc) it's nice to see that our winners are really nice kids. I like the new national pride thing. I've never liked our national inferiority complex. It's about time we showed some nads on the national stage, and backed it up.

That's my 2 cents worth. YMMV.

JF

I agree, and everyone that thinks we should or are nice and polite, just play for personal best, havent seen any Canadian Hockey. We want to own that Podium. Go Canada Go. Thanks for the posts