Frabill

walleyejack

I have a Trekker II and it's maiden voyage was last weekend.

I like most everything about it. However being a big man I find that the seating setup is a little flimsy.

Not the seats, but how they are attached to the sled.

There is an easy fix for this that I'm going to do this week.

The seats hook over the side of the sled but the sled being plastic has some flex and I find the seat wobbly.

Under the lip of the sled where the seats hook I'm going to bolt in a 1"X1"X5' aluminum tube.

It will bolt on using 4 bolts from the two corner brackets that hold the hoops the tent is attached to and one bolt in the center of the span.

This will really stiffen up the edge of the sled and provide a good solid place for the front of the seat to hook to.

It is pretty light and in higher winds you need some weight in the sled or anchors.

I had to put my auger in the sled to keep it anchored even though it was attached to my snowmobile.

I made my own hitch from 3/4" electrical conduit and carabiner clips.

Here's a couple of shots of it from last weekend.

The wind was gusting to 40k, you can see how it is pushing against the back of the hut.

Feb7-1.jpg

Feb7-2.jpg

Fang. i was looking for Nanook, but there is none to be had, especially with the two seats

Drifter that looks good, i heard about the flimsy seats, but figured something could be done to stiffen it up, I have checked many stores for the Nannook and the Frabill the last week or so and none to be found anywhere, I guess i will wait till next year or find a used one somewhere maybe, I still have my Pro Trap and that works great, I love it, but just looking for a little more room, when i get bored then i can fall asleep, it is hard to do that in the Pro Trap. Thanks for the input guys

My Trekker came with a steel plate to put under that plastic lip the seats sit on Dave!!! Nothing flimsy there..

I'm on the 3rd season with my trekker II and don't know what else a guy would need. Fabric is a little light.. but .. no real issues.

jan09temh.jpg

Edited by irishfield

I guess I was one of the lucky ones who scored the BPS deal earlier before Xmas. I did find them still for $299 at

http://www.bizrate.com/fishing-gear/oid1651543875.html

but don't know what they shipping would be though and if duty or taxes are on top but maybe worth a call

I just checked LeBarons website to see $ and what's available and I'd recommend that Nanook over any I saw there for the $ they were asking. That Trekker 2 is a nice hut but $200 more. The Nannok is a super solid unit and the chairs are removeable not permanently mounted. I travel with only one with me and it gives me a ton extra storage with no bars or rods getting in the way. I can also lift it in and out of the truck by myself.

The one and only drawback is I find that the bottom bar and skirt doesn't contact the ice as much as I thought it would. It's only a bit of an issue if there's no snow on the ice. The skirt then flaps a bit in the wind.

Edited by Fang

WalleyeJack

I had the Trekker2 all last season.. and well let me tell you .. I loved it !

its not the worst priced.. as well as its so easy to use .. my main reason I baught it was because my girlfriend didnt enjoy sitting on a bucket in the wind .. so instead of loosing my ice fishing partner.. we got the hut! and well its a great hut .. my friends liked it enough that they got one too.. so I guess what im trying to say is I defenetly recomend this hut if you have the money for it.. i ended up wrecking my car and had to sell it.. but my friends are good enough to lend me theres now and then..

and I will most likely be buying another one for next season

Is the Fraill Adventurer the same as the Trekker 11 ? I went to a few sites looking for trekker and they come up

adventurer, i have located an adventurer, but don t see any info on it, only the trekker 2, anyone have an idea please.

Thanks

The Adventurer is the made for places like Canadian Tire and has no stretcher poles and the seats are triangular camp type seats.

The rest is the same.

The Adventurer is not even on Frabills site and there is no manual available on their site.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

wow 218 interesting Canadian tire has them for 399 and says adventurer, can you mount the molded seats in it like they are in the Trekker 11 ?

You can build a frame and mount seats or a bench to it.

It all depends how handy you are. ;)

PS. Next month they will have that Adventurer on sale for $200 when they have their end of season sale.

So you can fork out $200 and figure out your own seat setup. :D

My Trekker came with a steel plate to put under that plastic lip the seats sit on Dave!!! Nothing flimsy there..

I'm on the 3rd season with my trekker II and don't know what else a guy would need. Fabric is a little light.. but .. no real issues.

jan09temh.jpg

from what I have seen and what we have put that hut of yours through Wayne you cant go wrong with the treckker II

unless you call lost nuts and bolts after 300 miles of run and gun fishing in 6 days issues lol

from what I have seen and what we have put that hut of yours through Wayne you cant go wrong with the treckker II

unless you call lost nuts and bolts after 300 miles of run and gun fishing in 6 days issues lol

How were the nuts and bolts lost?

Mine are all nylock nuts.

Did the bolts snap?

Should I take spares on my epic journey next month? :P

right on. wont be hard to fiugre out seating, then i will wait, and see when they go on sale, like i don t have a problem saving 200, ill have to keep an eye on the flyers for sure

You can also make your own strecher poles from 1/2" electrical condiut and some of these.

Quick Connects

Quick Connects - Includes (Qty 6, 7/8" X 7/8") p/n 102113

You can probably find them cheaper elsewhere (ie. hardware store)

with a piece of 1/2" and a piece of 3/4" plus a 3/4" quick connect and a spring button pin you can make an adjustable strecher pole for the front.

How were the nuts and bolts lost?

Mine are all nylock nuts.

Did the bolts snap?

Should I take spares on my epic journey next month? :P

Those crap nylocks don't do anything Dave. They unthread like normal nuts. Thank god for the Mcgiver in all of us or we would have been screwed last March. I ended up stealing my seat bolts to get by a few times. At least mine only fell apart and if I could find them I could put it back together..... that Piece of Crap Clam thing of Lloyds... the heads sheared off 75% of his bolts leaving him high and dry on a gusting 60 MPH day! We used up most of the hardware I had stocked in the boat house to put his back together.

I replaced all my bolts with Aircraft hardware and good Nylock stuff.. and still crazy glued the things! lol

Grab at least a few spares before heading out.. banging along on hardpack will shake it apart in no time..

And as for the "stretcher poles".. I wouldn't be without them. When using as a wind break only they work great to hold it tight in the windbreak position. When closed they aren't as big of deal.. but sure keep it from flapping. Also the main stretcher pole keeps the tent away from the heater.. especially when opening the door.

Edited by irishfield

Those crap nylocks don't do anything Dave. They unthread like normal nuts. Thank god for the Mcgiver in all of us or we would have been screwed last March. I ended up stealing my seat bolts to get by a few times. At least mine only fell apart and if I could find them I could put it back together..... that Piece of Crap Clam thing of Lloyds... the heads sheared off 75% of his bolts leaving him high and dry on a gusting 60 MPH day! We used up most of the hardware I had stocked in the boat house to put his back together.

I replaced all my bolts with Aircraft hardware and good Nylock stuff.. and still crazy glued the things! lol

Grab at least a few spares before heading out.. banging along on hardpack will shake it apart in no time..

And as for the "stretcher poles".. I wouldn't be without them. When using as a wind break only they work great to hold it tight in the windbreak position. When closed they aren't as big of deal.. but sure keep it from flapping. Also the main stretcher pole keeps the tent away from the heater.. especially when opening the door.

Right, extra bolts/nuts and Loc-Tight all the bolts on the thing before hand.

I'll replace all thier nylocks with good ones I have from my manufacturing days. ;)

Got it!!!! :D