1 or 2 piece rod

archer379

what are the advantages other then storage between a 1 and 2 piece rod?

A one piece will give a slightly more uniform flex and probably more strength by not having a joint. Will this really matter for bass and trout fish? unlikey. I've never had a rod break on me at the joint (thin walled upper piece) but Ive heard it happen to others with their $100+ 2pcs rods.

Once in a while while casting your top piece also gets cast because the joint looses off during the day. After the initial WTH just happened moment, I usually thank god that the line did not break or else I would have lost the top piece into the drink. Since then I've roughened up the bottom half that gets inserted with some sandpaper and it rarely comes off now.

If I had a 7ft one piece I guarantee you 100% I'd break off the tip with something silly like a ceiling fan, doorway, or simply walking through the woods. :D

SO I always get a 2 piece.

Edited by Syn

If I had a 7ft one piece I guarantee you 100% I'd break off the tip with something silly like a ceiling fan, doorway, or simply walking through the woods. :D

SO I always get a 2 piece.

Hahahaha! i'd do the same. :P but i always have bought 2 piece rods. never had one break on me. but i have seen the one piece rods break at the tip. my buddy's almost $200 one pice got a strike by a laker and broke the tip clean off. was a medium-heavy too. therefore 2 piece, lol.

In the rare case where there is a choice of 1 or 2 piece for the same model rod, the 2 piece are ore expensive, if you want to call that an advantage of 1 piece? I don't know. With high end rods, there are almost no 2 piece rods except in fly rods and spin/cast rods 8' and longer. It would be safe to say the top model from each company has no multi piece spin/cast rods under 8'. I would say multipiece rods have more disadvantages. The only disadvantage of 1 piece is transport and storage. that's it..

how about one of those collapsable rods? me and my buddy were salmon fishin one day and he had that set-up......was a 6'6" rod went to to 5'6" awful fast! lol broken and repaired about 20 times that day....

never lost a fish or lure though!

Edited by bigredneck

how about one of those collapsable rods? me and my buddy were salmon fishin one day and he had that set-up......was a 6'6" rod went to to 5'6" awful fast! lol broken and repaired about 20 times that day....

never lost a fish or lure though!

As a kid I had an awesome telescope $10 Canadian Tire rod. I would walk around the house and flick it open to full length as if I were a ninja. The guides were were misaligned to hell but who cares, it was all about style. :lol:

I have one piece rods from 5'3 to 7'2 and use them for creek fishing all the time. Even if I'm using one of my few 2 piecers I always put it together at the car before I climb fences and walk the trails to the creek. Both my cars are SUV style so the open cabin makes it easy to carry the rods. I just don't find the one piece rods to be a real problem. So far the only one that's broken was a cheap 2 piece. I was demonstrating how flexy it was (wasn't).

JF

I used to buy 1 piece rods thinking they had more uniform flex, more sensitivity etc. Then when I started fly fishing I realized all the high end fly rods are 4 piece. Rod flex is critical when fly casting.

Now I figure, if 1 $700 Orvis fly rod can come in 4 pieces, there's no reason to think a 2 piece spinning rod is somehow not as good as a one piece.

Plus, I've broken 1 piece rods threading them into the car through the trunk all the way up between the front seats. :)

For many years, 2 pc rods got a bad rap because of poor ferrule construction. Because of this, many folks consider 1 pc rods to be superior because they are (pick one): more sensitive, stronger, more consistent flex.....As well, you won't find nearly as many 2 pc blanks in high-end rods.

With modern blanks, there just isn't that much functional difference between a 1 pc rod and a 2 pc rod. I recently had a custom spinning rod made, and the maker and I had long discussions about the advantages/disadvantages of 2 pc rods. His take: a 2 pc rod is just as (pick one): sensitive, strong, consistent flex....

All my rods but one are 2 pc: small car, no bass boat.

I prefer 1-pc to 2-pc mainly because of the better flex and the lighter weight. I have the Fenwick Techna AV 6'6" MH spinning rods, in both 1-pc and 2-pc. Because of the joint, the 2-pc's guide placements (and hence the reel seat locations) are slightly different (don't know which one is "better" though because I haven't fought a fish big enough to tell). But I find that the 1-pc feels better in my hand, mainly due to the lighter weight (the difference is noticeable). Both versions are great though.

J

I used to buy 1 piece rods thinking they had more uniform flex, more sensitivity etc. Then when I started fly fishing I realized all the high end fly rods are 4 piece. Rod flex is critical when fly casting.

Now I figure, if 1 $700 Orvis fly rod can come in 4 pieces, there's no reason to think a 2 piece spinning rod is somehow not as good as a one piece.

Plus, I've broken 1 piece rods threading them into the car through the trunk all the way up between the front seats. :)

That is a solid argument, I have a 1-piece and the transport and storage is more annoying especially when you have a small car.