Yamaha lower unit compatabilty

HTHM

I need to get another lower unit for my 1985 Yamaha 150 hp, i went to work on stripping carpet today and found a big puddle of oil on the floor under the motor :glare::wallbash::wallbash: , it is leaking out of the prop shaft. As well, the skeg is missing a peice so i think I might be better off to get another one.

$10 seal and a welder Albert.. why spend more than that on a 25 year old engine? Other option is skeg guard kit that just bolts on to what is left... but anyone good with a TIG can put a piece of aluminium on the end of that thing for you.

Are you also certain it's coming out the prop shaft.. and not fogging oil coming out the exhaust??

Edited by irishfield

$10 seal and a welder Albert.. why spend more than that on a 25 year old engine? Other option is skeg guard kit that just bolts on to what is left... but anyone good with a TIG can put a piece of aluminium on the end of that thing for you.

Are you also certain it's coming out the prop shaft.. and not fogging oil coming out the exhaust??

Yes I am sure it is coming out of the prop seal, I watched it run out as I tilted the motor down........

I understand you have the ability to weld aluminum....*hint* *hint*

So the prop is off and you saw it come out from the shaft seal?

I rivet aluminum Albert.. .. :D

Yep, and man was I disapointed!

I'll ask my brother in law who is an AME to weld it up, or there is a welder in town that can do it also.

"If" it is lower unit oil ( I bet it's fogging oil though) you as Irish said can fix it with a seal,as long as your gears are good and shaft is straight no reason to replace it bud.Take it to a MM for a complete seal kit cost you approx. $180 installed?

"If" it is lower unit oil ( I bet it's fogging oil though) you as Irish said can fix it with a seal,as long as your gears are good and shaft is straight no reason to replace it bud.Take it to a MM for a complete seal kit cost you approx. $180 installed?

I know for sure that it is the lower unt oil. The first thing I checked when I got the boat was the lower unit oil. It was milky and to top it all off the lower unit would not turn because of ice in the gearcase... I bought Yamalube and pumped it into the gearcase, changed the rollup door in my shop, (it was 3 inches too narrow :lol: ), and pushed the boat into the shop.

Came back after a week, leaving the motor tilted up on the transom saver and noticed some oil on the ground. Lowered the motor and watched in amazement as the oil poured out over the prop shaft. The prop is off of the motor, BTW.

I had one quote of around $500 to replace all the seals and impeller. I did my 20hp Johnson, together with Boatman, so I am going to attempt this one as well.

Also I need to have the skeg welded.

Check my post on the "other" board in the restoration forum to see what I am up against....

I get all my seals and impellor changed every couple years. Its cheap insurance. No need for a whole lower unit though, unless of course your getting a good deal on a complete unit.

I need to do mine this year too. If you can do it yourself, its cheap.

S.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I'm late to this party...

If you are sure its only the prop seal then you can just pick out the old seal and replace with a new one. The prop seal often gets chewed up by fishing line. 25 years is a long time, but the seals should last another 10 years before I'd expect them to start to fail. I'm not familiar with that motor. Its way too big and new for me. However, if you get the seal I can give you a hand with it. You can probably do it with the motor still on the boat. Of course, I make no promises.

I'm a little busy right now, but after the Sportsman Show next month I should have lots of time.

You say the skeg needs repairing and the seal is leaking.

I would have to say that your prop shaft is bent.

It could be from dry rot that the seal is leaking, But under the

circumstance I would check the prop shaft.

When I took it apart the retaining ring was very loose, so I am thinking the seal was leaking due to improper assembly. The shaft is going to be checked out very carefully and replaced if necessary.

The power head is going to be re-built, unless I can repower at a reasonable cost. This project has gone beyond funny and now is a matter of pride and stubborness.

I am now married to this boat. Fortunately the repairs are not as overwhelming as I first thought, just time consuming. When it is done I will post some pics, but for now it will remain a private project.

This project has gone beyond funny and now is a matter of pride and stubborness.

I am now married to this boat. Fortunately the repairs are not as overwhelming as I first thought, just time consuming. When it is done I will post some pics, but for now it will remain a private project.

I've no doubt when you're finished Albert you'll be as proud as a peacock. :thumbsup_anim: