Cooking fish without frying

Billy Bob

what a great thread!

I often cook fish in a frying pan with a 1/4 inch of white wine. The white wine provides the heat transfer (in place of oil or poaching in water) but it dries down and the fish still has a crispness (vs. being poached). Most fish tastes great wtih white wine, and its healthier than oil.

what a great thread!

I often cook fish in a frying pan with a 1/4 inch of white wine. The white wine provides the heat transfer (in place of oil or poaching in water) but it dries down and the fish still has a crispness (vs. being poached). Most fish tastes great wtih white wine, and its healthier than oil.

White wine is great for cooking seafood, but... things get kinda blurry into the second bottle :P

On a different tangent. Brandy brings a whole different flavour to seafood.

I will take a mix of "white" fish, cubed, scallop and shrimp in a big skillet. Sauteed in a large skillet thinly coated with olive oil with lots of crushed garlic, chopped chives and red peppers. S & P to taste. After 4 minutes, depending on the portion you cook add 1-2 cups Napoleon brandy and cover on low heat. Serve on bed of rice and, while still piping hot, sprinkle a generous amount of grated Friulano to melt on top, then serve with the white wine.

I really have been enjoying Musky kabobs, lately.

Take a fresh musky fillet and thread it onto a skewer with fresh veggies and cloves of garlic, brush with balsamic vinegar and cook on low heat on the BBQ.

The only problem with this is you need several musky over 44 inches for a good feed and it is annoying when all the Muskies Canada guys show up and start crying at the end of your deck.

You can use other species of fish, I suppose. :dunno:

I really have been enjoying Musky kabobs, lately.

Take a fresh musky fillet and thread it onto a skewer with fresh veggies and cloves of garlic, brush with balsamic vinegar and cook on low heat on the BBQ.

The only problem with this is you need several musky over 44 inches for a good feed and it is annoying when all the Muskies Canada guys show up and start crying at the end of your deck.

You can use other species of fish, I suppose. :dunno:

It's your fish and you can do what you want with them as long as it's legal but with SO MANY other species, WHY wouldn't you let the #1 SPORT fish go for another day.......maybe next time you can reconsider......I probably only caught about 15 total and most on accident but I have never kept any.....too many good walleye, pike, perch, crappie, salmon, trout, etc.........to eat.

Good Luck Fishing and Releasing,

Bob

It's your fish and you can do what you want with them as long as it's legal but with SO MANY other species, WHY wouldn't you let the #1 SPORT fish go for another day.......maybe next time you can reconsider......I probably only caught about 15 total and most on accident but I have never kept any.....too many good walleye, pike, perch, crappie, salmon, trout, etc.........to eat.

Good Luck Fishing and Releasing,

Bob

Sarcasm is often difficult to portray on the net. ;)

We need a "tongue firmly in cheek" emoticon or perhaps an animated big wooden spoon. :)