Need ATV Help

danbouck

Well my wife has given me permission to start looking at some remote land and an ATV to get in and around :worthy: I am looking at spending around $2500 for an ATV.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would like to know which ones to stay away from and what ATV's you guys prefer. Any issues with certain options and it will definitely be a 4X4

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Edited by Dan Bouck

My yamahas have been bullet proof. They start first pull or turn of the key and run like a top. The Big bear and Breeze are 15 years old.. the moto 4 is 25 years old. No service on any engine other than the original first oil change when new.

Edited by irishfield

:clapping: Good for u, I went thru the same with my wife. We looked for over a year and ended up with a polaris 400 liguid cooled. Mint. Brands are brands. Air cooled I would stay away from esp. if alot of summer use. Winter not a problem. Oil cooled a bit better. Liquid cooled covers all the basis. Keep the rad clean. Stay away from Canadian Tire stuff.

From what I've seen, quads do not depreciate as people would expect them to...that's why it's going to be hard to try and find one for the $2500 you have to spend....

I traded my 2000 Kawasaki Prairie 400cc in when I bought my new 2008 650cc.....the bike was pretty beat up (fell off the ramps while loading into the truck) and needed tires...I got $3300 for it from the dealer...

:Gonefishing: If u try kijiji change the name of the city in the upper right corner. We looked under Toronto, Barrie, Muskoka and finally Sudbury. We picked up a 400, liquid cooled, 4x4 with 370 miles on it. It was a 95 and we paid 2700. It took a few months to find. I agree with the others, they don't go down in value much. Keep an eye out for some auctions also.

It doesn't really matter who you talk to, there are good and bad in every brand and guys are going to swear by what they have for the most part. A lot of it has to do with how you take care of them. I have had Polaris for 11 years, first a 300 Explorer, air cooled, oil injected, man could that thing ever work and it would go through just about anything. I traded it in 2008 and got the 400 Sportsman, Bigger, more clearance and again flawless. I went on a ride with a bunch of guys on a variety of machines, I ended up pulling a Yamaha about 30 km out of the bush through mud holes that at times were right up to the fenders. Thing is, as soon as I got out of the bush, I went and washed everything down and gave it a good going over with the grease gun.

96' yamaha big bear eh? ya, them honda's and yammie's are some nice quads! i dont care for the belt drive quads, they just dont seem all that reliable to me. arctic cat and polaris, i don't care for their quads. suzuki i dont really know i've never been on one. can-am never been on one either but from what i hear from my buddies their pretty good. i would say overall shoot for the honda, i find them the best. thats just my opinion though!

good luck,

JP

arctic cat 500 4x4 automatic runs well haigh ground clearance and dealers every where

i have a trac kit on mine for winter plow snow and tires for rest of yr . ice fish and hunt with it as well

Edited by malcolm

I love my 07 Sportsman 500 HO efi! To each their own I guess. I don't think anybody makes a bad one now though! I tested most and the the Polaris had the nicest ride hands down!

Maybe that model fit your butt the best according to you,but you know opinions, like butts, everyone has one and they all stink. Ask the guy that lost his belt on his pull-my-arse, 7 miles out on Lk simcoe at -20, not impressed with a newer machine.

I own both a Honda and a Yamaha they can't be beat. Reliability, durability, they hold there value on resale...#1 REASON.... they are made in Japan........... not China.

ya, hahaha! i find japanese made stuff is sometimes a little better than chinese. my frame for my other mixed quad came from china the motor from japan. that thing had a lot of tourque! i sold it after the front mounts gave way though. coulda made a new thicker mounting plate but i decided to get rid of it. still driveable but the chain fell off alot while the mounts were all busted up.

don't really know why im talkin about that but i thought i'd share. :P