Well, I can tell you where the fish aren't!

Big Cliff

My son came down yesterday and we drilled a bunch of holes. I was thinking that the weed beds in and around Goose Bay should be holding plenty of perch, NOT! Doesn't make a lot of sense, we tried in the weeds, on the edges of the weeds, out away from the weeds. We tried the chanel where there is curent, out at the end of the chanel where there is a bit of a delta, I had thought that the perch and crappie would be hanging in there letting the food come to them. A buddy caught one small perch, that was it. So far, we have covered everything from 4-12' of water and the Aqua-Vu hasn't seen any fish. Water clarity is really good, no problem seeing 12' clearly but the fish just aren't there. This morning we are going to start at 12 fow and work out from there, they have to be somewhere.

I have also talked to a couple of guys with huts in the area but they haven't found them yet either. I did hear that some guy caught about 30 perch off of Long Beach but that was third hand so I don't know how reliable that is. With the exception of one or two, most of the huts seem to be moving around quite a bit which to me indicates they are still looking too.

Oh well, we are going to give it another shot again today and expand our range. There is plenty of good solid ice even over the chanel where the curent is so we'll be able to use the ATV. Hopfully we can track down enough for a nice fish fry for tonight, if we don't I guess we'll be serving KD. (it's OK, I like KD LOL.)

Hey Cliff,

Sturgon Lake is like Balsam pretty much. You have to go against the norm like I have done. I did what you did on Balsam and ended up finding fish out on deeper humps close to flats or Spawning areas. I got them in 31 fow suspended up about 20-22 fow. They will tend to stage in these areas until the water starts to warm a little. Then they will move shallow only in these type of lakes. Look for humps with weedlines on the deeper sides. Remember where they are when spring arrives. Use that as a starting point. Look at a map and look for the closest underwater humps,points etc that pertain to these areas and you should be able to locate them. This is not the case on Scugog.

Hey Cliff,

Sturgon Lake is like Balsam pretty much. You have to go against the norm like I have done. I did what you did on Balsam and ended up finding fish out on deeper humps close to flats or Spawning areas. I got them in 31 fow suspended up about 20-22 fow. They will tend to stage in these areas until the water starts to warm a little. Then they will move shallow only in these type of lakes. Look for humps with weedlines on the deeper sides. Remember where they are when spring arrives. Use that as a starting point. Look at a map and look for the closest underwater humps,points etc that pertain to these areas and you should be able to locate them. This is not the case on Scugog.

Thank you! I do know of a spot exactly as you describe and will give it a shot today. I'll let you know how that works for us.

We're gonna give Chemong another try today. We haven't had any luck in the weedbeds or just outside them. Today we're gonna try deeper 15' to 20'. They're gotta be down there somewhere, dammit.

Well, I got to check out Long Beach, Ball Point, and a couple of huts in Goose Bay, every one I talked to had the same luck, no fish. We have the kids with us today so we'll stick close to home but tomorrow afternoon my son and I will be going deep and see what that brings for us.