Baptiste/Elephant Lakes ??

Basspro

Early summer I'm hoping to fish Baptiste Lake & Elephant Lake just south of Algonquin Park.

Are we selecting a pretty good area for some catch & release bassing?

Any recommendations on a place to stay there?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not familiar with this part of Ontario and at one of the sportsman shows

it was recommended to me.

Thanks,

Mike

Ive used elephant lake lodge many times. Great people, who treat you right.

Fishing is great, in fact, I usually keep my boat tied to their docks while Im at my cottage in wilberforce. Lots of pike, some musky, walleyes and bass.

The musky in my avatar was from elephant lake last august. Heres the whole fish....

P8270027.jpg

She's still in there.

Pike are a dime a dozen in there the last few years....if the bass aren't working....just drift the cabbage beds and burn spinnerbaits..white....you'll get lots of pike, and some good bass too.

Sinker

If you want to get into some bigger fish, I would suggest that you concentrate your time on Elephant. Elephant is nice because there are not many cottages populating the shores. If you are in the right place at the right time, the Muskie fishing is great. I have invested my share of time in search of the Pickerel in there, day and night. There are only a couple of bowls that hold a small population in that lake. Unfortunately I can't help you out with the bass fishing in there, because I don't spend much time bass fishing. But at least you know you have alternatives. The people at Elephant Lake Lodge seem really nice. I don't think I will be returning to Baptiste.

Best of luck and enjoy your :Gonefishing: trip!

Hey Guys, What a website!! Thanks for the info!!! Going to check out the websites for babtiste & elephant lake lodge now.

Nice fish sinker! If I catch your musky I'll be sure to let her go for you!

Mike

Edited by Basspro

Elephant Lake Lodge gets my vote as well. We used to have our annual musky weekend at Elephant every year. From 1991 until 2000 we always caught muskies and had some large bass as incidental catches. In 2002 we caught nothing but pike and we had never caught one there before. I've found the sandy south end to be the best for producing huge smallies and the cabbage between the rock face and the island produces some big largies. The Lodge owners are very helpful and they have a nice little restaurant and bar with a pool table to relax and wind down the day. We have never caught walleye there but usually we didn't really pursue them with any vigor. There's a small beach and a nine hole golf course if others in your party aren't as hardcore in the fishing department as you are.