SK Fishing Report

holdfast

Finally we got some decent weather out here from these Arctic Temperatures. Im calling -10 a blessing from the -40s. Amazing how we can acclimatize pretty quickly. I decided to try some ice fishing in 5 minutes up the road on Cowan lake. In the summer its deadly for pike but I find that the fish are around the same size, plus it gets choked with weeds making it near unfishable in August. I figured what the heck as I can drive the truck right to a fishing hole and its only minutes away from my trailer. I figured it would be a good shake-out since this is my first trip anywhere this year. The first thing I did was head to my shed as soon as it got daylight approx 9am on Saturday.

PC070033.jpg

You'll notice that we haven't had too much snow, must because of the below normal temperatures. Also one of my projects is that I put a new axle on my boat trailer as I was tired of changing the bearings too many times.

My first Priority in my shed was to find my felt liner Boots and dig out my winter fishing gear. No Boots and I tore the shed apart and also searched my trailer. It was almost a show stopper but I figured I might get away with using my military gore tex boots with thick socks. I also phoned my wife and she confirmed that my boots were at home in North Battleford in the garage. The last place I figured they would be as i use them for snow shoeing.

P1090039.jpg

There is an improvised ice road that led to a string of shacks maybe 2 kms from the boat launch in town. After talking with a few fellas I decided to find a spot back tracking and guessing for a depth of approx 6-10 ft. Upon finding a reed bed I guesstimated the distance and drilled about a dozen holes with a sharp hand auger and put out two lines with bits of minnows.

P1090040.jpg

P1090043.jpg

P1090037.jpg

I would catch 3 pike from the same hole although I tested every one of them. Funny how that works, and Pike?

The first pike would be the biggest and it was enough for a meal. the other two went back in the water quickly.

P1090034.jpg

P1090035.jpg

P1090042.jpg

P1090045.jpg

For me this was better than I expected. I was happy just to catch the first one. Of note, I nearly lost my rods twice. One I had to fish it out of the hole with the second one. Im game for any type of rod holder or hints as not to lose them again.

In between bites and coffee I amused myself with a stick and my little buddy Spike

P1090050.jpg

P1090052.jpg

P1090051.jpg

A simple kit layout

P1090046.jpg

Cheap plastic toboggan, tarp, auger, shovel, inside the white bucket (seat), toilet paper, baggies, neo gloves, tackle box with pliers, knife, strainer, rod holder, bait. Inside nylon bag will be the 3 rods, one being a trout or perch outfit. In my small pack will be extra socks, mitts, fish finder, or what ever does not stay in the shed as soon as I get back the gear is ready for storage.

P1090047.jpg

P1090048.jpg

Here are some points for improvement.

-Boots

-A rag to dry my hands instead of using my pants, jacket or gloves. I dont have the luxury of washing at the

trailer as my water is shut off.

- some sort of rod holder to secure my lines.

- I suppose it would not hurt to strap my snow shoes on my toboggan.

- Also my minnows were so frozen that I had to cut them in chunks.

I would appreciate on any Ideas for the minnows as well as what you guys use as rod holders.

I'm glad the weather warmed up for you.

How much ice did you have?

The best way to avoid losing your rod down the hole when fishing pike is to use a tipup!!!! :lol:

And if you're jigging with the other line you're holding onto it anyway. ;)

If all goes according to the weather man I will finally get out next weekend.

Great report Holdfast. Always worth a read. Nice pike too bud!!

I usually screw a piece of PVC pipe on the side of my bucket for a rod holder, but I didn't do it last year, and so far haven't done it this year either......I'll prolly lose a rod now LOL. As for the minnows, I keep them in my pail, and change the water frequently to keep it from freezing solid.

S.

Sorry guys, but the Minnows are bought frozen in a styrafoam worm like bucket. In the summer its easy to pick out individual minnows. Not so easy out on the ice. I ended picking pieces out with a Knife. Im thinking maybe I should dig out the minnows and then put in a baggy just prior to the trip.

Sinker, I understand what your saying as I seen such a rig at Walmart that clips to a bucket for about $3. Unless I carry 2 Buckets at least it will cover one rod.

Excellent report and pics Holdie!!! :Gonefishing::canadian::thumbsup_anim:

.. and some real nice Pike too!!! :clapping:

That little rascallion Spike is a cutter eh! ;) ... it looks like you've got him trained real good now without a leash, he's gonna be your best buddy for life now!!!

Thanks for taking the time to post that real nice report! :thumbsup_anim:

Sorry guys, but the Minnows are bought frozen in a styrafoam worm like bucket. In the summer its easy to pick out individual minnows. Not so easy out on the ice. I ended picking pieces out with a Knife. Im thinking maybe I should dig out the minnows and then put in a baggy just prior to the trip.

We get them the same way up here.

I defrost a container and salt 'em up good on a cookie sheet covered with newspaper, leave them overnight in the fridge. The next morning add some more salt then put them back in the container with a little more salt on top. Stick the leftovers in the fridge or freezer after the days fishing. The salt keeps them pretty much thawed out, makes them last longer and toughens them up so they don't fall off the hook as easily.