Ice Auger...

I know the ice auger thing has been beaten to death, but I can't make up my damn mind! :wallbash:

I sold the 8 incher and want to downsize mainly because my kids are small and I have been eyeing the 4 incher. I mostly fish perch and bluegill, and my daughter loves the non-stop action when we target gobies! haha But every once in a while we hook into a big OOS largemouth, trout or pike and I'm worried about squeezing them through a 4 inch hole to unhook them?

Can you even fit your hand through a hole that small if you needed to?

Should I just go with a 6 inch auger in case I decide to target pike or walleye in the future?

Thanks guys!

Augers are on sale at Canadian tire this week by the way!

Cheers,

Ryan

Save up for a 5 inch Lazer auger. I say save because they never seem to come on sale.

A 5 inch hole will handle a 5 LB walleye and a 8 LB muskie. I know cause I have done both. And you can not believe how much easier that 5 inch hole is to cut compared to a 6 inch hole.

I mostly fish perch through the ice so a 4 inch would be plenty...but I will never own one. 4 inch holes freeze over super fast. Also with the kids you will lose a lot of fish at the hole by getting snagged on the sides. They don't have the patience or co-ordination to steer them through such a small hole. If that is a big concern for you I would then recommend the 6 inch hole. But I would never recommend the 4.

Ryan

I first saw guys using the 4" on Long Point Bay and thought it was incredible, however there is like you say always the incidental Bass, Pike or Trout to deal with. I managed to get a 12lb rainbow through the ice on the Grand last year through a 6" hole, so that would be my bet.

Cheers

Craig

My motto is go big or go home. I don't drill holes less than 8". Those small holes are a PITA IMO. They freeze up too fast, and you can't even fit your ice scoop in them!! I don't know why you guys think its so hard to drill a hole......i have a harder time getting out of bed in the morning :) Its not uncommon for me to drill 30-40 holes by hand in a days fishing......no big deal!!!

S.

I don't know why you guys think its so hard to drill a hole......i have a harder time getting out of bed in the morning :) Its not uncommon for me to drill 30-40 holes by hand in a days fishing......no big deal!!!

S.

Insert big strong newfie on steroids jokes here :whistling:

The next time we hook up on the ice, I'll be happy to fish any holes you drill for me :P

lol funny stuff guys.

Thanks for all the replies!

I ended up grabbing a 6 incher while I was in town tonight. I looked at the 5's but it just seemed rediculously small! haha

Got home and popped 3 holes in my pond in no time!

Can't wait to hit the ice next weekend, it's been a long couple of months waiting for the hard stuff!

Cheers,

Ryan