Driving on to a trailer

HTHM

My trailer has bunks, so I back it down in and submerge the bunks for a couple seconds to make sure they are good and wet. Then pull forward enough so there is about a foot opr so of the bunks out of the water. Pull straight in and run it up as far as I can. Lean over and hook up. Winch her up all the way.

The one problem I do have is getting her 'exactly' centered all the time. The boat sits in between the wheels and I only have maybe 1 inch or so clearance on both sides between the boat and the wheel fenders. There is carpet to prevent metal to metal rubbing, but too often the boat ends up tight against the wheel. I really don't want it touching for fear of someday wearing through the carpet covering. Typically I have to back the boat in a little more and manually try to keep it straight while my wife pulls away. Sometimes we have to do this a couple times to get it off the wheels. This is a PITA and sometimes can cause me a delay in getting trailered and out of the way. There must be that sweet spot and maybe I need to have the bunks out of the water a little more.

I did forget to trim the motor once, but fortunately is was loose gravel when it hit. A few shouts to my wife, correct my error, and we're good to go. No damage done (Whew !!!)

Edited by Rich Clemens

Just asking, what really are the advantages of power loading? I've had a 18 foot aluminum with a V4 outboard for over 25 years, never power loaded or felt the need to. Just back in as close to the dock as you can, barely submerge the rear rollers/bunks, pull out winch line to about 1/2 way down the trailer, go to boat, untie, from dock centre hull between the rollers, keeping tension on the lead line off the bow go to the rear of the vehicle, hitch the line around the winch mast if you need to, hop on the centre beam of the trailer and attach the winch line, winch boat onto trailer removing the lead line just before the hull buries the ring in the masthead, hook up safety chain and go to the tow vehicle and clear the launch area before doing anything else so to not keep anyone waiting. I usually launch by myself. With an open mind I'm asking if there are any real advantages other than a few turns of the winch handle. I always viewed it as a potentially risky method, possibly some macho male rite of passage inspired by TV shows.

Edit: as others mentioned while i was typing, too deep is a problem, you want the hull firmly on the trailer when you pull it out, I rarely get my feet wet standing at the winch at most launches.

Edited by dave524

My trailer has bunks, so I back it down in and submerge the bunks for a couple seconds to make sure they are good and wet.

I also do this before loading the boat, imagine the friction of the boat running up dry carpet. :blink:

My observations show that most troubles at the ramp involve trailers being to deep in the water.

I pull up so that most of my trailer fenders are out of the water and approx. half of the bunks are also out. This allows the boat to slip and center itself as it rides up the bunks, near perfect everytime.

My observations show that most troubles at the ramp involve trailers being to deep in the water.

I pull up so that most of my trailer fenders are out of the water and approx. half of the bunks are also out. This allows the boat to slip and center itself as it rides up the bunks, near perfect everytime.

Maybe that's what I need to try the next time - pull 'em out a little father and see if that does the trick. Thanks Chris.

Ok - Back to Hometownhandyman's thread now. No intentions of stealing it. :D

Edited by Rich Clemens

Maybe that's what I need to try the next time - pull 'em out a little father and see if that does the trick. Thanks Chris.

Ok - Back to Hometownhandyman's thread now. No intentions of stealing it. :D

No steal at all, this is exactly the type of discussion I was hoping for, I am learning a lot! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

1. Back trailer into the water so the bunks are half way in

2. Reverse the boat considerably to give yourself plenty of room to correct the boat incase it is not lining up with the trailer

3. Trim motor up

4. Line up the center of your bow with the front roller on your trailer (if your struggle with this, putting in your bow nav light helps to center it (assuming the nav light is centred at the bow like it is on my boat).

5. Drive the boat approx 3/4 of the way up the trailer. Use the winch the rest of the way.

The biggest problem is trailer to far in the water.

Couple people were right every trailer has a sweet spot and every launch has a sweet spot.

Most trailer it's just above the axle.

Those bunks are to guide your boat on the trailer. If the bunks are not going to stop your boat before it hits the winch you are in the water to far.

Now idle your boat up to the trailer and slip in to neutral and let the trailer center the boat and stop it.

If your trailers in that sweet spot your boat should stop about FT short of the winch and the boat should be strait if not make corrections and winch or power up that last ft.

Now launching by your self

undo the back of your boat LEAVE THE WINCH ATTACHED TO THE BOAT, back into the water just a little further than your load location. Step on the tongue undo the winch if your boat is sliding back you are in just a little to far just hold your boat and take the winch off. Slide the boat back and step into the boat and start the motor and idle off the trailer. Again every boat has a sweet spot.

By leaving the winch attached you never lose control of your boat and if it doesn't start getting it back on the trailer is easy.

You and somebody that can't drive the boat our handle the vehicle.

Most can back it up that .5 ft to get you off the trailer and pull the trailer away from the launch until you tie off.

If all the bad things are happening, by yourself, wicked current, bad cross wind. DO NOT PUT TRAILER FURTHER IN THE WATER.

Less trailer in the water, all that you want is the trailer to stop your boat, now get the boat strait if it won't stay strait step down on the tongue attach the winch and tighten. Now back your trailer to it's normal load location and either winch or power on.

The most accidents I've seen launching was people holding a rope trying to control the boat.

I seen a TV star put a bassboat in the back window of a suburban, trailer to far in the water.

Roller trailer are a whole different game NEVER UNDO THE WINCH.

Seen brand new 26ft Thundercraft bounce down the launch ramp in Bowmanville and stop about 10 ft short of the water.

Edited by Garnet