Portable Fish Finder ... opinions please

krawler

Looking to buy a fishfinder for ice fishing. Im looking at either the Humminbird 343c or Lowrance x67c. They look identical, price is nearly the same. Also considering 535 dosnt come in color but if its dependable then i would go for it. Any opinions about dependability, easy to use, etc. Which one do you have or which would you buy? Hopefully there will be some sales over the xmas break.

Thanks

Thanks for the link, i read the thread when it was posted. Still looking for more thoughts on the subject. I know im not looking for a flasher. I've had a portable for years and rigged the transducer myself but the problem was making sure it reads vertically through the water column.

put weights at the transducer end to self level.....or buy the ice transducer available for both models.

they are both easy to use...but like anything else it takes a little time to get used to.

here's a link to an awesome thread on an ice fishing forum....hope mods dont mind...delete if ya have to...i'll understand.

click on the link below

CLICK HERE FOR X67c set up and use videos.

Looking to buy a fishfinder for ice fishing. Im looking at either the Humminbird 343c or Lowrance x67c. They look identical, price is nearly the same. Also considering 535 dosnt come in color but if its dependable then i would go for it. Any opinions about dependability, easy to use, etc. Which one do you have or which would you buy? Hopefully there will be some sales over the xmas break.

Thanks

I picked up a 535 portable at ctc green tag sale price for $150,about a year ago.No issues so far with it.I kinda luck out this year,I was going to buy another 535 for boat,so I have a spare screen.I didnt have to.My old 100 base,and power cord matched.All I bought was a transducer and a speed temp sensor.The speed teed temp sensor I could do without,the gps is more accurate.

Not sure where you live, but if you can drop by RadioWorld or a similar store you can play with both. In my experience they are both extremely similar and the biggest difference for me was the graphic styles.

I found the 343C personally, more clear and defined especially when in the graph/RTS mode and ended up going with that. But that's just personal thing, and I'd be confident in both models.

I've got a 535 and my fishing/hunting partner has a 343c.

They are both solid units. The 535 is not color, but it has a very vast gray scale. I have no complaints about the unit. Nice large screen There are some nice features that the 343c has over the 535, but for the price difference, it's negligible.

One other occasional fishing buddy has the x67 ice machine. Maybe I didn’t have it set up right, but I was not pleased with the clarity of the graphics (IMO).