Red Cedar Lake to O-Pee-Chee

irishfield

Fished OPC lake a few years back and remember the passage to red cedar looked like more of a portage than a navigable route - maybe in the spring when the water is higher it could be do-able, but would be pretty treacherous.

There is a lodge on the lake, forget what it is called, they may know better.

You probably know this Wayne but my top maps show a set of rapids between the two lakes. Navigable, I don't know.

I do know that at the other end of Red Cedar up the Temagami River is a large water fall stopping all boat access up to Cross Lake. Sorry that's all I know. :D

EH!

Not sure if I mean the same spot... but I tried this very thing a few years back when some friends rented a cabin there @ O Pee Chee... we tried to meet them ... we could have maybe, had I had a 12 ft tinny it may have been possible with some wrestling ... but no way with my big little 14'.

RFS

:canadian:

LINK:

http://maps.google.ca/maps/mpl?ie=UTF8&amp...mp;t=h&z=13

Yep... that winding creek.. was wondering if it was passable!.. and if there is anything else on O-Pee-Chee other than the single lodge and then the rest is all Crown land?

Maybe?.... depends on how much acreage they own around the lodge...

I have yet to find a definitive web site on Ontario's Crown Land.

But aren't there a few boat access only cottages across the bay from "OPC" ?

I haven't been there in 15 years or so.

RFS

:canadian:

Wayne,

Sorry for not responding soooner, I was flying back from Florida yesterday. I have not tried it but it is my understanding that you cannot access O-Pee-Chee by boat. In fact if staying at the lodge you must drive about 1 km to the launch area to Red Cedar. Why the interest? If you want to check it out further contact me and you can jump in with me (next summer) and we'll check it out.

I had know idea there was a lodge up the creek though. How big is the lake the lodge is on.

It's a fair size lake and the lodge has been there since 1945. Lake is weird shaped..with 4 or 5 arms to it. All of which are a good mile or so long.

Gerry.. thanks !

Wayne