Old outboard restoration

Bernie

What a great job Bernie! I think the outboards from the 40's, 50's and 60's are great and I love to see them especially out on the water. I have so far got a couple of early 50's Johnson's, a 5hp and a 10hp both running. The 10hp has a brass prop. I'm constantly watching them on ebay but shipping them to Canada is a expensive issue which makes it cheaper just to buy them near by. I found both the Johnson's listed on Kijiji.

Thanks guys. :D

George My favorites were the late 50's.

Top notch quality, beautiful colours and great running were what makes me love them.

I have several more to choose from for another winters project but I am searching for a 1958 Johnson 18 HP right now.

I'll see how well this 10 works for this summer in the meantime.

Bernie from what I have read the early 50's were not as reliable as the later built ones of the 50's and they are every bit as nice to look at but they do seem to be a little harder to find. I put coils,points, wires etc and a water pump in the 10 hp and it seems to run ok in a barrel but have not tried it on a boat. I noticed the shift lever bracket is cracked but still works and where the motor pivots on the mount that it is sitting too low causing interference when turning, it's like a bushing or bearing is missing. Bernie do you know if there is a bushing between the transom mount and the motor housing?

Thank you Jacques. I really enjoy your handy work as well. :D

George it's more likely an isolator mount causing your problem. They are rubber mounted and often on these oldies the rubber goes bad and they will drop down.

Thanks Will.

Won't be long now. Looking forward to it !

How in the hell did I miss this post!?! Wow.. I had no idea B! Nice little winter project and will look sweet on that cedar's ass end!

13 more days... jesus... I soooooo need a day off! 13 days cannot come soon enough!

See you boys soon... perhaps time to discuss lunch/supper options?

G

Here is an update on the motor project.

Well after a couple of paint ripples and masking tape problems this week I finally started to put on a couple of decals.

Few more parts and pieces to put on but it is nearing completion. Here's a look so far.

P1030217-1.jpg

P1030221.jpg

P1030222.jpg

P1030223.jpg

There is another outboard project going on in the shop.

This one is being done by Jim, who is planning on taking this one to the Gravenhurst Antique Boat Show this summer.

It's a 1958 7 1/2 Johnson. This one is going to be a beauty. I love those engines.

P1030203.jpg

P1030215-1.jpg

Ok... this is making my sticker peck out!!!

Beautiful work Bern!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Please keep us updated!