Free christmas turkeys

misfish

Your right Brian, he was a great man and treated those who were down on their luck very well over the years. His son doles out the turkeys & Christmas cakes now.

About 40 years ago my cousin & I owned & ran the Honest Ed's Santa booth taking pictures of the kids and Old St. Nick at Christmas. :santa:

Ed Mirvish was a great guy to work for.

AAAH remember the Pre-Wal-Mart Days when each store had a personality and an individual owning it that cared about the customer cause they were part of the mosaic that made up that neighborhood.

Anyone out there that can name their wally world manager?????

Bushart

AAAH remember the Pre-Wal-Mart Days when each store had a personality and an individual owning it that cared about the customer cause they were part of the mosaic that made up that neighborhood.

Bushart

Your 100% right Bushy, the good ole days are long gone.

It was a great adventure going to Honest Ed's. I'd follow along beside my Gram as she jostled and elbowed her way to the sales tables. After that we would cross to the NE corner at Bloor for lunch at Chico's greasy spoon for a big plate of fish and chips and a chocolate shake as reward for being a good boy. Run down to Queen st. to Hutti's Finnish store.

Edited by bigugli

Bushart

BRIAN, MY WALL MART TOP MANAGER GUY IS BRIAN, IM A LOSER FOR KNOWING I KNOW...AND HE IS A WEIRD FELLOW..

I remember my first visit to Honest Eds. First year student living near Varsity Stadium, Sept 1969, the one thing I remember getting was a toaster that trip, not a popup but one of those with the flip flap doors on each side that you had to flip the toast when one side was done and take it out before it got burned and unplug it to turn it off. Unlike Bigugli, I wasn't with grandma, we used to stop at the Brunswick House for a couple of 20 cent drafts, that is another fine old establishment in the same area.

Edited by dave524

we used to stop at the Brunswick House for a couple of 20 cent drafts

When I was in the navy and stationed in Halifax in the 60's the local pub had nickle night on Fridays and for $2 you could party all night long........Ah yes, so many fond memories :lol::lol:

When I was in the navy and stationed in Halifax in the 60's the local pub had nickle night on Fridays and for $2 you could party all night long........Ah yes, so many fond memories :lol::lol:

Lew, you gotta remember this was on Bloor St. in downtown Toronto, high priced establishments. Almost forgot, Rochdale College was on that walk to Honest Ed's, but we'll leave that part of the 60's back there B)

Rochdale College , I lived there my first two years at UofT (rent when you paid was real cheap), met my wife of 40 years there lmao . cant beleive we still graduated, lots of stories to tell our grandkids p.s. We didnt inhale lol those were the days my friend

I was born in 63....the closest I have ever came to "nickel night" is 50 cent drafts. Some of you guys really are as old as dirt :whistling: BTW was the earth's crust still warm from the time of creation back then too Lew :dunno:

Just kidding of course.

Never have been in Toronto to experience Honest Ed's. But my father in law knew Ed well enough to be on a first name basis. He had nothing but admiration and respect for the man. Glad to hear his son is still carrying the torch.