Buck and 2R's...back to the Colorado River

Garry2Rs

Buck and I left home this morning at 9AM.

After gassing up the truck and the boat we headed for the Colorado River at Martinez Lake.

The closest ramp is at a spot called Fisher's Landing.

When we got there we found that the river was down about a foot and getting the boat off without dropping the trailer wheels off the end of the ramp might be a trick.

Discretion being the better part of Valour, we opted to go up stream to Meer's Point, and launch there.

On Martinez Lake I caught a 12 inch LM Bass while casting around the boat docks.

This fish hit my same-old Sexy Shad Rattle bait.

SKRES-CSD.jpg

There were several boats still fishing on the other "good" spots and a lot of bird activity...

MartinezLake006.jpg

We moved up-stream to Ferguson Lake.

Casting the windward shore, in a small bay, I landed two and lost a third on the square lipped #2 Sexy Shad similsr to this.

SKPMCB-CSD.jpg

These three fish hit within 15 minutes and were located along a section of bank no more than a quarter mile long.

We fished for awhile longer, after the bite died, without success.

I don't want you to think I'm a one trick pony. Beside the Sexy Shad I also threw a Rapala Long Cast Minnow, a Sexy Shad Spinner bait and a Lucky Craft Sammy, but only those two KVD baits paid off for me.

Here's a nice sunset shot of Fisher's Landing...

Fisherslanding.jpg

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

I fished in shirtsleeves this weekend. My longjohns had sleeves, my turtleneck had sleeves, my pullover had sleeves. They're all kinda like shirtsleeves aren't they. The only thing that didn't have sleeves was the microfleece vest I had under the pullover.

So there.

JF

Hi Chris;

Hope you're recovering nicely.

Obviously I can't speak for all of Ontario or the whole State of Arizona, but I can say that I find the fishing much better around my place in the Kawarthas than anywhere around Yuma.

This is a desert, there isn't much water so there's only a few places to fish. The fishing pressure here is enormous so the fish are very weary. Imagine if all of Hamilton was only allowed to fish in the Harbour...or everyone from Toronto had only Rice Lake...On the other hand the season is always open, there are some big fish and it's a great place to test new lures and techniques...grin.

Garry

Gary, thanks for the report. I always enjoy reading your posts, both those from sunny Arizona and here in the Kawarthas. Keep them coming. And just to keep you up to date about things in these parts the weather has been pretty sweet here too, had the new regs come into effect this year instead of next I would've been fishing for musky today in a t-shirt.

Glad to hear you're getting a break from the weatherman. Here's to a short winter.

Today we received a package from Tackle Warehouse.

It contained a Stradic MG-FB, and half a dozen new Kopper Live Target baits.

Tomorrow Buck and I will be back on the water testing the new toys...GRIN!

Edited by garry2rs