Let's see Your Ice Fishing Rigs/ Set ups!

GeorgeJ

These Otters look great but pretty pricey http://www.otteroutdoors.com/ the portable fish house kits look great, anyone have one of these and can comment on it?

I have the Medium Ice Cabin, 2 person, only I didn't get the bench seat or 2 swivel singles, I'm going to make something for this winter instead of folding beach chairs. The sled is made of thick poly, hardly any flex, the top material is pretty thick too, sewn in attachment goes all the way around and simply snaps on, no screwing needed, the superstructure is made of square poles, they expand and collapse without problems. I see the info sheet says 90lbs, maybe a mistake or I'm getting stronger(highly doubt it). Get the extra runners, they take up a lot of road wear, got mine at BPS for about $35, they should last 2-3 winters. I made my own tow bar, I have my MIG for that. So far, no complaints compared to that Pile of Bovine Excrement from Frabil the year before. It's long enough to accomodate the Jiffy auger. Unless you have someone with seamstress qualifications, maybe get the custom cover too, keeps your kit in and snowbanks out.

I have the Medium Ice Cabin, 2 person, only I didn't get the bench seat or 2 swivel singles, I'm going to make something for this winter instead of folding beach chairs. The sled is made of thick poly, hardly any flex, the top material is pretty thick too, sewn in attachment goes all the way around and simply snaps on, no screwing needed, the superstructure is made of square poles, they expand and collapse without problems. I see the info sheet says 90lbs, maybe a mistake or I'm getting stronger(highly doubt it). Get the extra runners, they take up a lot of road wear, got mine at BPS for about $35, they should last 2-3 winters. I made my own tow bar, I have my MIG for that. So far, no complaints compared to that Pile of Bovine Excrement from Frabil the year before. It's long enough to accomodate the Jiffy auger. Unless you have someone with seamstress qualifications, maybe get the custom cover too, keeps your kit in and snowbanks out.

Fisherman where did you buy it? seems like they don't have many distributors in Ontario

I called their 1-800 number, bought direct from the factory in the US and paid the shipping rather than to buy from the dealers in Northern Ontario who were a bid more than greedy. There is one place somewhere around Toronto, another distribution center, however I could never connect with them on the phone.

Troutologist

There is nothing wrong with snowshoeing into lakes, I have friends up here that do it all the time. They're a bunch of Tundra Huggers though!!! :lol: Anyone that uses a hand auger to go through 4 feet of ice after snowshoeing 10 km into a lake is a few fries short of a Happy Meal in my book.

Myself, I would rather spend the time they spend walking into a lake I can sled into, FISHING!!! ;)

One of my favorite fishing lakes is a 40km round trip, you can walk in if you like. :D

I have a week long fishing trip planned for the East Arm of Great Slave Lake at the end of March. It's a 400km round trip.

Feel like walking 400kms with camping and fishing supplies for a week? I thought not. :lol:

Besides I'm too old and fat to be doing all that walking, snowshoeing, hand augering crap any way. :lol:

I agree comletely. Thats the reason I bought the sled, to expand my opportunities as well as make going to camp in the winter easier. Never had a power auger, though with that much ice you'd be crazy not to have one. Late season we drill 3 feet or so, most of our deepest ice is really punky and not solid, due to the big dumps of snow, so its not that bad. Plus I have a 6" auger which chews pretty quick.

Dave, let me know if you want some GPS points of some spots in the east arm. Ive got a bunch of reefs marked and also quite a few ice out bays, there are definitely preferred ones that the trout are in at ice out, so I assume they'd be nearby during the later winter.

....to icefish the east arm of slave i'd walk!! Then probably wait for the sea lift to come out for a ride back in August!

Oh my goodness.... I didn't think ice-fisherman bickered about anything...but we have a new topic -- who's sled is best?!? :lol:

Stuck at work and can only picture my setup in my head...can't access any pics from here to post :( But I go on foot most times, pulling the 2-seat fish trap with buddy heater and tackle inside. If the 5-ton plow is on Temagami, then I take the Jeep out there :) Easy to drive out somewhere between Manito and Bear Island, park, and wander off to start drilling holes. The 8-inch Normark hand auger is still fine with me...new blades in it's 3rd or 4th season had it practically pulling itself through the ice...and where I go I usually have to deal with 3 feet tops.

Edited by johnnyb

I agree comletely. Thats the reason I bought the sled, to expand my opportunities as well as make going to camp in the winter easier. Never had a power auger, though with that much ice you'd be crazy not to have one. Late season we drill 3 feet or so, most of our deepest ice is really punky and not solid, due to the big dumps of snow, so its not that bad. Plus I have a 6" auger which chews pretty quick.

Dave, let me know if you want some GPS points of some spots in the east arm. Ive got a bunch of reefs marked and also quite a few ice out bays, there are definitely preferred ones that the trout are in at ice out, so I assume they'd be nearby during the later winter.

....to icefish the east arm of slave i'd walk!! Then probably wait for the sea lift to come out for a ride back in August!

Last spring I drilled through 64" of hard black ice!!! :w00t:

I have an 18" extension for my power auger and still needed to drill down a few inches on either side of the hole to clear the handles and punch through the last 2 or 3 inches of ice.

I'd love a bunch of GPS coordinates!!!!!! Thanks!!!!

You have a PM. ;)