Home Depot actually comes through!

So, with the new baby on the way I'm taking the time during my much needed vacation to paint the room. Well, we and bought the paint, taped the room and started to paint. Now I hate painting......but I liked the results i had with the paint i purchased from the depot for my daughters room.

For some reason...namely a little spillage accident...i ran out of paint. So this morning I head to the home depot to pick up a small 975ml can of paint.

When I got home and started to finish the last wall i noticed that the paint wasn't mixed right and i was getting streaks of white and blue paint and a general mismatch to the colour of the rest of the room. So I was a little pissed...i was practically finished the room and had to repaint the entire room all over again......

Needless to say I showed up with my very pregnant wife and child in tow at the paint counter...well the kid behind the counter was very helpful and managed to get me a refund for the small can of paint that i purchased. However, my wife spoke to a manager on the phone earlier and he told her that they would exchange the large can of paint for a Beir paint that was higher end....well the kid had no idea, but decided to give us 25% off the can.... Which made it still too expensive for me, especially after i'd already had to buy a second gallon....more tape and another roller.... and my wife was livid so.....we spoke with the manager who was as nice as can be. He gave us all the paint and accessories free of charge.

Way to go Home Depot......I just finished the room.....and I still hate painting with a furious passion lol

I ordered all the stuff to build my deck a few summers ago. Included in that order was very expensive composite deckboards. When the order was delivered the deckboards were not with the order. I called the Home Depot to find out where the deckboards were as they were at the store a week earlier. One of the managers called me back to let me know they were sorry and that they would deliver the deck boards 2 days later. I didn't ask for any type of compensation, I just wanted to be able to finish my deck that weekend. When the deck boards did show up there were 11 extra boards, they gave me the entire lift of 40 boards instead of the 29 I ordered as well they gave me a case of the clips to fasten the boards down. 11 boards at $60 a piece as well as 6 box's of the clips at $85 a piece. There's a reason I shop at the Home Depot and that would be that I have never been unsatisfied with the service I have received there.

I feel your pain bud, I'm just getting ready to hang 11 sheets of drywall, then re-paint the entire house, then lay down new flooring.

I enjoy doing the drywall & hardwood, but not the painting, infact I think I'd rather be doing anything else :lol:

Boy is it time consuming...but the Beir paint they gave me was great...I only used 1/2 of the can for the new coat...good lord the stuff went on thick!!

I'm wondering what the little lady has for me to do next??

Maybe make more babies? :rolleyes:

I feel your pain bud, I'm just getting ready to hang 11 sheets of drywall, then re-paint the entire house, then lay down new flooring.

I enjoy doing the drywall & hardwood, but not the painting, infact I think I'd rather be doing anything else :lol:

I hate drywalling, painting I like...wanna trade?

QUOTE (lew @ Nov 24 2009, 09:02 AM) *

I enjoy doing the drywall & hardwood, but not the painting, infact I think I'd rather be doing anything else laugh.gif

I hate drywalling, painting I like...wanna trade?

Painting, and Drywalling...no problem.

Heck even the mudding is kinda fun, but sanding....this would be the part to trade LOL!

As for the Depot,

I'm glad they came through for you.

I personally vowed to never shop there again because of a major blunder.

The store is actually great, but there install work has little to be desired.

I had new carpet put in the old house about 5 years back, and when i came home they had not done the stringers on the stairs like I had asked, and there were gaps between the stringers and Carpet edge.

They offered to come veiw the work and stretch the carpet to the edged but claimed the stringers were not accounted for in the bill, and not on the estimate....I met them half way and said thats fine the stringers are finished, and looked fine.

fast forward 1 year.

My new cats DESTROYED the bottom stair with their claws, so I replaced the carpet on the stairs.( and de-clawed the cats)

I ensured that the stringers needed to be done this time....

Guess what was not done...yup they didn't do the stringers, and they charged me for it.

This time they came back and re-did the stringers, but again there were huge gaps, and odd bumps in other spots.

After about 4 weeks of arguments they finaly fixed it, but no discounts.

So...

Last year when I renovated my Basement in the new house there was no way I was going to use them again.

I used Rona, and Home Harware for all the supplies including my new deck/bar etc...

But despite vowing to never use the Depot again...

I happend to have gift certificates I had won, and they were having some sort of sale 40% off sale on carpet, and the biggest reason..

The wife found a carpet she loved....So, they got another chance.

Well guess what wasn't done when the installion crew left....THE STRINGERS again, and this time they didn't put the nosing on the top stairs either!

What was ridiculous is not only was this the 3rd time after I repeated my story to the estimator and the store sales staff...

The Basment stringers are unfinished!!!

I couldn't beleive the installation crew didn't question the order when they realized they were dropping almost $5000 of premium carpet & underpadding

In a finished basement with unfinshined stringers?

Who would spend money to carpet a room while leaving the stringers covered in dry wall mud, Paint, and globs of other contruction mess?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there must be a mistake...but instead they just continued and left my wife to deal with it.

When I called they fought me on it, and gave me every exuse in the book...

They accused me of not ordering carpeted stringers which I made a point of at the store, and to the estimator in person.

Then they tried to tell me the Carpet was discontinued, yet they still had it on sale in the store...

Then they said the Dye number was different so the carpets wouldn't match....

They even told me "its to late, the carpet is down and you signed for it"...which I did not

My best guess is the estimator screwed up, because not only did I not sign anything, I had to call 2 weeks after he had visited to get my price solidified.

And they had apparently "misplaced" the measurements, but luckily found them.

So after there smoke and mirrror show I told them they have 2 options...

Fix it, or come get your carpet out of my basement, and I'll see you in court later to discuss the payment.

6 weeks later it was done, but man...How can you go so wrong?

No discounts, no appologies, nothing.

I wrote 2 letters, and sent them to the store Manager, and the district manager...to this day a year later I never got a reply

Every Penny I have spent since on anything has been at Rona, or Home Hardware.

I don't even like Orange any more LOL!

Edited by Cookslav

They are good with their returns policy, as a matter of fact...too good sometimes but in the presence of new competitor that hails from H.D's home land they are truly aware of customer service...now if they would only put more staff on the floor! I know I could use the help some days!

Lew, I'll do your painting if you'll come to Hamilton to finish my drywall

Painting, and Drywalling...no problem.

Heck even the mudding is kinda fun, but sanding....this would be the part to trade LOL!

EXACTAMUNDO!!

Im about to gut the kitchen soon, and DO look forward to demolition, drywall, muddin, havin fun at this point, and then that day comes.....when you realize the can of worms youve opened...........SANDING. You pretend it isnt a step, you ignore it, you divert it from your mind cuz your having so much fun with the instant gratification of all the other steps. And reality sets in

Having said that, most people lay their initial coat of mud on way too heavy to try and save coats and time. Less mud but more coats equals less sanding. Slingin the mud is easy, watching it dry is easier......ill do that a couple times over sanding my elbows off anyday