Shopping for next year's Attawapiskat adventure

yakpiker

Hey folks,

I was in LeBaron's today looking for a new baitcasting rod and reel combo to take to the Attawapiskat River next July. The guy there was very helpful in making a couple of suggestions and helping me to understand the different features and benefits. I wasn't sure in the moment so I decided to continue my research instead of pulling the trigger on a purchase.

Here's my question:

What baitcasting rod and reel would you recommend to cast and troll medium sized lures for large pike?

I've got a 7 foot, two piece St. Croix heavy-fast spinning rod with a Quantum Catalyst PTi spinning reel, but I'm concerned about the reel being able to handle bigger fish.

Any and all constructive responses would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Yakpiker

You don't need a musky rod for the Attawapiskat, total overkill.

I'll be bringing two rods next June for pike.

7' 1pc spinning rod rated 10-17lb and a Stradic MGFB 3000 spooled with 20lb power pro

and

7' 1pc med/hvy baitacaster rated 12-25lb with a Revo Toro 51hs spooled with 30lb power pro

The spinning rod will be used to cast lighter plastics like senkos and hollow bodied swim baits.

The baitcaster for casting spoons and bucktails.

my med fast actin st croix 9 1/2ft avid with a shimano cardiff 401a has been a good combo,a little versitile.The rod is a little light for muskie but I use it for bass,pike,bottom bouncing for trout.one muskie on the stringer on this one.Has been great for trolling and down rigging so far.And lots of pickerel.

my med fast actin st croix 9 1/2ft avid with a shimano cardiff 401a has been a good combo,a little versitile.The rod is a little light for muskie but I use it for bass,pike,bottom bouncing for trout.one muskie on the stringer on this one.Has been great for trolling and down rigging so far.And lots of pickerel.

One piece? Might be a tight fit on the plane, lol

Totally agree with Solo...

I broke my med/heavy spinning rod first day there by accident, then the Abu reel went on my baitcaster second day, so I fished out the rest of the week with an old medium 6'5" Bob Izumi spinning rod rated 6-15lb test. Had 30lb PP spooled on a 3000 series reel and it was the best fishing catching combo EVAH!!! Having fished these northern rivers 10 years, a medium/heavy spinning or baitcasting (something rated to top around 17-20lb) with a braided line of 20-30lb test, and a rod 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 foot (whatever you like) is just right. If trolling maybe have a second rod with 50lb braid on a baitcaster.

Muskie gear is overkill as said. Baitcasters aren't even really necessary. The majority of baits for pike aren't nearly as big as the muskie stuff, and pike tend to easily hook themselves well on smaller hooks that penetrate easily enough with lighter rod actions than those of the muskie meat sticks. Be weary of your drag setting.

a 7' mh fenwick one piece with a 200 curado and an 8'6" shimano clarus 2pc steelhead baitcaster rod with a 200 curado are my two main spring pike rods. occasionally i'll bust out my lightest muskie outfit, 7' compre & 6501 abu.

Edited by Raf

I have both the 200 and 300 size Curado.... this model is probably my all time favourite baitcast reel. I'm a total shimano snob though. I use the 300 size on my MH muskie rod and the 200 series sees multiple duties, including pike. A muskie rod IS overkill when targeting pike. A 7'MH/fast casting rod will handle all your pike fishing. If you go with the 300 series Curado you could use it for muskie, pike, lakers etc. A versatile reel, for sure. Oh yeah... I use 50lb PP on my pike set-up. I'd say 30lb braid, at the minimum.