Lures for Trout?

splashhopper

I have only float fished and bottom bounced for rainbows the last two seasons but got in to bass fishing this summer..

The FEEL of the hit when a bass slams a lure is awesome and I am thinking a trout is gonna be even better.

So, I am gonna carry 3 rods with me to the river this trout season.

One rod set for floating, one for bottom bouncing and the third for lures.

Who is using lures for trout and why do you use the ones you use and in what types of waters are you using them?

Thanks again.

Splashhopper

I use lures for brook trout. My favourites are the Panther Martin size 2 (casting), Shad Rap silver/black 5 cm (casting and trolling) and the Sutton 44 or 77 in hammered silver (jigging).

The Sutton is great for jigging. I use 4 lb mono and give the Sutton time to reach bottom. Then I just softly jig it.

cleos work great in faster flows i find, spinners seem to work better for me in slower water. i like to keep them near bottom, so my spoons can stay down deeper just because there heavier. green silver and chartuce silver are my favs! o and when they hit, wait for that first run before you do anything haha

For cold water steelhead I'd get yourself a selection of small spinners up to #2 size, some flatfish/kwikfish in dark colors. One of my better big pool casting lures has been small sized hot shots. I also keep a few small crankbaits with me.

Don't forget some maribou jigs and streamer flies. Better rigged under floats but I have thrown them on their own in warmer waters

Flatfish or Canadian Wigglers seem to be popular as well. I know some ppl kinda hold them in the current and let the movement in the lure come from current.

100 % agree with this statement ....for deeper water... rattlin raps ( original J5 and J 7 ) depending on how deep the water is

K5 kiwkfish, F7 flatfish or lure jensen hotshots all produce..... drop them back in the current flows and let the current wobble the baits....can be a deadly technique and not hard to master if you know where the trout are sitting in the pools. The hardest part of this technique is not how you fish the plug but reading the water to figure out where the fish are laying, if the trout are laying in the bottom end of the pool just drift the plug down, close your bail and let the current woble the plug and hold on, they smoke these baits hard.

Edited by canadadude

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i've caught a few fish this year on small crappie jigs...fishing them similar to drift fishing...

tried this when the float rod wasn't working and it worked 2x.