Nov 16-2009 - BOQ Jigging Report

superdad

Having to take advantage of the limited number of days with good weather, it was a day to hit the water and try our luck with some jigging We have watched over the years the number of anglers who jig for the fish around Thompsons Point and I had only tried it last year with Dan Elliot in late Nov.

There are some who relish the jig bite and eagerly await the arrival of the fish to the area. I won't mention names but you know who you are!!!! :D

Laker John and I decided that we would try the jigging for a couple of hours to try it out and then we would troll the rest of the day. we began the fishing at 0740 and fish were attracted right away. In the first 45 minutes we had landed a dozen walleyes, granted they were all very small but eager to take our jigs.

We continued fishing and around 1000, I had to relay our news to BayBoy,we had landed a total of 20 fish by then and as I spoke on the phone, I hooked and lost what felt like a nice fish.

Needless to say, we stuck with the jigging and followed the first rule of fishing -"Don't leave fish to find fish!" we hardly had time to eat a sandwich as the fish kept taking our jigs.

Around 1300 hrs, we decided to take a break from jigging and trolled from Thompsons, past the yellow marker and over to the west shore trying different lures, the trolling gods weren't smiling on us for that hour, so we returned to jigging and landed abothe half dozen in the final hour.

We packed it in around 1515 and headed to the launch ramp.

We could see Hodgey and his boat jigging the day, West Lake Willow's boat trolling the area. I guess there were others who were out that but we couldn't recognize , everyone has a survial suit and we often don't recognize boats.

It was the greatest day we have ever had fishing the Bay of Quinte, the total of walleyes landed was 44 and as mentioned not very many of the were in the range of keepers. The size of the fish bodes well as we figured to have seen at least three year classes of fish in our day on the water.

I want to thank BayBoy for taking the picture as we stopped to tyalk about our jigging adventure.

1116C_Laker%20John%20and%20Superdad-best%20day%20ever.jpg

The day has confirmed our belief that jigging does produce fish and we'll be back to try it again.

Cheers

David aka Superdad

Nice. Personally I'll take numbers over size any day.(Although you will hit larger fish)

Typical fall pattern in that neck of the woods and my personal favourite way to target them.

You didn't mention what type of spoon. Personally I run metal spoons like Rocker Minnows, Hopkins and the like.

No minnow, fished clean with a pretty violent jigging motion. Hits (at least for me) are usually on the upsweep and quite savage. :)

A lot more fun imo than reeling in a drift sock which is pretty much what the fight is like when you're trolling with planer boards. :whistling::lol: