St. Marys steel!

pikeie

In the last few days the steelheading has been wild... so ive heard lol

Done class be 11:30 today. Fishing wasnt really on my mind lol thats a first! :P

Got my my homework done susprisingly early lol and as i close my books my phone rings... My buddy Wes calls and asks if i want to hit up the rapids!

of course! he pics me up and i guess he was already down there today for a bit and already got one steelie! so my hope were high!

get down to our drift and as were walking out to it he says "are you gona drift roe?" i looked at my float rod and said "i might try tossing spoons for a bit"

Good call! lol

one cast in nothing lol, second cast i slow it down a bit and it just stops dead! i set the hook and feel some headshakes! FISH ON lol

so Wes comes over to watch and record some video. Then it goes for its first run! wow peeled off so much line i thought i was gona get spooled! it jumps a few times and then it starts commin in. A few minutes go by i still dont know what it is forsure. we were thinkin a freshish chinnook... but then i saw a flash of pink and i knew it was gonna be my biggest steelhead from the rapids! a few mis-attempts at tailing the fish and then my friend got her!

steelhead6.jpg

32-33 inches and 9-10 lbs i was stoked!

steelhead7.jpg

same fish

steelhead8.jpg

and agian

she swam away nice and strong!

Then my buddy put on a clinc!

He got 2 on roe with in 5 drifts!

steelhead9.jpg

a nice male!

steelhead10.jpg

and agian!

steelhead11.jpg

and here is his second fish!

Then as he is relasing one of his i get one on, while drifting roe.. Lmao!

... but i lose it while trying to land it doh!:P

but not 2 drifts later my float goes down agian! lol after a nice fight with plenty of jumps!

steelhead12.jpg

as my buddy was trying to land this one it decided to swim bettween his legs and get really wraped up lol as i tailed her she snaped off haha

steelhead13.jpg

and he she is agian!

So to day was an unexpected fishin trip but well worth it! in the end we went 5/6 on the steelhead and also landed a coho!

Great 2 hours!! hahaha :P

Thanks for reading!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

sweet report. nothing like going downtown and bonking steel!

you ever talk to mr. goertz at the college about fishing?

he's a pretty darn good fisherman as well. cheers.

ya man, some nice fish there... im thinkin of goin for pike and walleye soon myself... great job downtown though!!!

so where are they right now?

I'm hitting St Joes for a week of deer and taking the boat to include a bit of fishing

Edited by Dara

so where are they right now?

I'm hitting St Joes for a week of deer and taking the boat to include a bit of fishing

st joe's island eh? well i dont fish much around out there so i couldnt tell ya any hot spots... the one day i was at pine island on the labour day weekend me and my cousin took his truck out to his teachers place and he said they were pretty hot over by the light house (walleye) so maybe give 'er a try over there??..... but where im goin i'd rather not say right here, but if you really wanna know just PM me lol.

Edited by bigredneck