A little help please...

motv8tr

Hey all, I have an OFC measuring tape, and a piece of vinyl eavestrough. I was thinking of cutting one side in half legthwise, and putting the measuring tape on the opposite side....what do you think would be the best way to do this?

Thanks

Maureen

gallery_46_17_39667.jpg

gallery_46_17_30371.jpg

Well, you could cut the vinal with a hacksaw if you have one, use the finest tooth blade you have, you will have to clean the burr off the edge after but that isn't too hard to do. A bit of sand paper or even an exacto knife will do it. I do have a vinal cutting knife here that I could bring with me on Saturday if you want, that and a good straight edge will do a fairly nice job for you. Someone else might have a better way of doing it though.

You could score it several times with a knife along a straight edge. Probably too tough to use scissors but tin snips would do.

By the way, if this is for the OFC Tourney you may want to inquire if the old OFC tape is allowable. As I read the rules, they're asking for something saying ofncommunity.com.

I'd hate to see you go to all the trouble if it's not acceptable.

-Brian

Edit:

Ooooops.... this is probably for the Tyler event... nevermind LOL

Edited by SlowPoke

That's a cool idea Clampet, I don't know if I'll have time to come up with something like that by Saturday morning though...but thanks, I'll be hanging on to that, maybe for the summer.

Cliff, I have a few saws kicking around...thanks

Maureen

Mo, Wayne has to have a band saw with a rail in his shop that would easily trim the eavestrough down to what you want. And it would be a very straight cut.

Then, put an end cap on the eavestrough, and put the measuring tape inside it, making sure the tape starts at the inside of the end cap.

That is exactly what I use for quick measuring of our fish for our slot size. I have it chopped off at 46cm. Drop the walleye in, nose to the end cap, and squeeze the tail fork together, if it passes the chopped off end, and I already have kept one over that size, I just drop the fish back in the water right away while its in the eavestrough. They just slide right out.

I don't have a measuring tape inside mine though, don't need it. I just put a couple of magic marker lines inside it for appropriate slot sizes for other fish species, like bass, and brook trout.

That's a cool idea Clampet, I don't know if I'll have time to come up with something like that by Saturday morning though...but thanks, I'll be hanging on to that, maybe for the summer.

Cliff, I have a few saws kicking around...thanks

Maureen

I think the idea there is to lie the fish along the bottom of the trough, and have the measuring tape glued to the upper side out of the fish slime. ;)

How's this for a dumb question...I should be able to cut it length wise with my table saw right? What I want to do is shorten one side so it's easier to see the tape...I'm not sure if I have a find blade for the table saw though :(

Maureen

If you are going to use the table saw...turn the blade around backwards. Same as for cutting Vinyl siding.

Thanks for volunteering me Tom! LOL My little band saw would have that wavier than Lake Nippissing in a West wind. The table saw should do the trick if you can keep enough down pressure and feed SLOWLY.

If you are going to use the table saw...turn the blade around backwards. Same as for cutting Vinyl siding.

Thanks for volunteering me Tom! LOL My little band saw would have that wavier than Lake Nippissing in a West wind. The table saw should do the trick if you can keep enough down pressure and feed SLOWLY.

No problemo Wayne :whistling:

I just thought with your shop you would have the tools needed, and are fairly close.

Guess you use a sheet metal break more often than a band saw.