Indoor/Outdoor Carpet vs. Marine Carpet?

MSBruno

A friend just re did his boat. He decided to go with indoor/outdoor carpet instead of the marine stuff. He said it was much cheaper. I think he picked up enough to re-do his 16ft boat for just over $100. Looks and feels great.

I was also in a boat this summer that had a vinyl floor and I founs it quite slipery when wet, especially after a few slimy fish had been flopin around.

A friend just re did his boat. He decided to go with indoor/outdoor carpet instead of the marine stuff. He said it was much cheaper. I think he picked up enough to re-do his 16ft boat for just over $100. Looks and feels great.

I was also in a boat this summer that had a vinyl floor and I founs it quite slipery when wet, especially after a few slimy fish had been flopin around.

Thats odd... my marine grade vinyl has NEVER had that problem... it is textured to avoid that

most indoor/outdoor carpet is usually berber while it will work it's no good when you get a hook stuck in it, most marine carpet is straight fibres without the loops hooks usually pull right out

GREAT POINT!

That situation is very annoying.

I just re-did the bunks on my trailer with indoor outdoor carpet, when i was doing it at the cottage and the neighbor came over and asked if i was using marine grade carpet, i wasn't because it was just the bunks. The original ones were 20 years old, i might be lucky to get 4 years out of the stuff i used. I did a couple fold down seat cover things too with the carpet, but it wouldn't do the whole deck in the cheap stuff. The neighbor said his cheap carpet stained too and he couldn't get it out like he could with the original stuff.

If i am going to go through all the effort in the future to redo any more of the deck it will be with marine grade.

In-Door Out-Door BURNS in the SUN and gets very DRY !!! Expect 2-3 years in the Low Traffic area of the boat and 1-2 yrs in the Hi-Traffic.... This is my neighbors routine he even changes color every time.

Spend the extra$$$ and get the Marine Grade Hi-Pile or go for the Non Slip Vinyl......

I'll be due next season ... going for Carpet .

Cheaper Isn't always better.

RFS