Victor lands his first ever salmon!

MJL

Last night both Victor and I were free. I had on good authority that a few fresh chinnies and a good run of browns were starting to make their way up one river. Victor having not yet landed a salmon before was dying to give it a go. Last year when I took him, he got his first taste of salmon when he lost 2 off the pier which literally DESTROYED him. Earlier this year I promised I would get him into some more before year end.

I took Victor to a spot not far from the river mouth. Sure enough we could see some fish rolling about in the wide, deep pool. The whole night we had that pool to ourselves and could fish in peace. Quite a number of fish were leaping clear out of the water with lampreys still attached. Victor wasn’t getting any hookups. I managed to land a few fish on bags of skein scrape. Also managed to break the tip of my 13’6” Raven IM9 while fighting a fish – Took 10 inches off the top when I walked into a tree but I guess I turned it into a pretty sweet chinny stick with even more backbone.

After a long night of sheer persistence, Victor finally landed his first ever salmon. Sort of…

Victor unhooking the beast

P1010696.jpg

Victor’s hero shot

P1010698.jpg

Who says Catch, Fillet & Release doesn’t work? :lol:

wow...crazy!

i'm gonna give river fishing a go tomorrow morning for the first time ever.

Thanks for the info you have provided victor, i'll let you know what happens and whether or not you'll be seeing me in the fall for steel haha :D

That certainly was a new PB, although it's not legit (snagged in the guts... wait... if i deep hook a fish, the hook WOULD be in his guts... so ... lets just say it's legit haha).

As you can see, i'm not really the best person to ask for advice lol (with my limited experience out there), i hope you do bettter than me though.

Did ya weigh it?

JF

It's in my fridge right now, i'll let you know when i get home :w00t:

And for everyone else who wants to know how I caught this beast:

A roe bag drifted near the bottom at a relatively deep pool with a small steelhead hook. This thing also gave me quite the fight, the float shot straight down right away when I hooked him. Unfortunately I think I was overly excited, palmed the reel too hard so it couldn't pull much line out.

Nice fish Victor it's sad but i see those all over the place when im out anyway im sure theres one with your name on it out there this season we should get out soon

Uh Trevor! It's been a while, hope all is well. We shall go for another carp outing at hamilton sometime in the near future, they're putting on the feedbag this time of the year.

It's in my fridge right now, i'll let you know when i get home :w00t:

And for everyone else who wants to know how I caught this beast:

A roe bag drifted near the bottom at a relatively deep pool with a small steelhead hook. This thing also gave me quite the fight, the float shot straight down right away when I hooked him. Unfortunately I think I was overly excited, palmed the reel too hard so it couldn't pull much line out.

Dude. It was too skinny to have any pulling power. You should have been able to reel it in AND eat yer chicken at the same time.

JF